Hey Teach. It's Not About You.

Should a K-3 teacher who has a same sex spouse be allowed to discuss their spouse in class? Can they display a picture of their spouse on their desk?

If there is a student in K-3 with two mommies, should a teacher be allowed to discuss it if the children in class are confused why there isn’t a daddy?

Florida says you can’t.
Do you think that's a good thing or a bad thing?

You misunderstand. They are moaning about the Florida law...but not correctly. I'm solidly with you in that's it's wholly inappropriate for teachers to be discussing LBGT issues with kids.

Not that I'm a big fan of flag worship or anything, but this teacher removed the American flag from her classroom because, according to her, it made her feel uncomfortable and suggested that students might pledge allegiance to the gay pride flag with which she replaced the American flag when asked by a stundent where the American flag went...

I dunno what ever happened to her.

She was very proud and giddy about it, though...

She wasn't the only one doing dumb stuff like that, as I recall.

It sure wasn't that way when I was a kid. It's not that we saw them as machines, of course, but they were there to teach us and not bond with us on a personal level -- obviously so. They had professional ethics and those ethics included keeping their politics and personal lives out of the classroom.

As far as calling bullshit, you are obviously lying if you try to claim your own experience in school was radically different.
I went to school 50 years ago

I remember teachers telling personal stories that tied into what was being taught
I thought it made class more interesting

I remember a teacher who was a veteran discussing what it was like in Korea. He had an interesting perspective of what was going on in Vietnam.

But the OP is offended if a teacher brings their personal life into the classroom

I went to school 50 years ago

I remember teachers telling personal stories that tied into what was being taught
I thought it made class more interesting

I remember a teacher who was a veteran discussing what it was like in Korea. He had an interesting perspective of what was going on in Vietnam.

But the OP is offended if a teacher brings their personal life into the classroom
Talking about experiences in Korea to a high school student while discussing an actual subject is FAR different than talking about one's gay partner to a kindergartener.

Even you should be able to understand that.

Talking about experiences in Korea to a high school student while discussing an actual subject is FAR different than talking about one's gay partner to a kindergartener.

Even you should be able to understand that.

If a heterosexual can discuss a life experience with their partner, a homosexual should be allowed to do the same without being fired or sued

So if a kid asks you if you like football do you put them in an iron maiden?
That's not exactly a personal question, but I wouldn't spend more than two seconds on it. I will, from time to time, take a few minutes to explain how and why soccer sucks. If it's September, I'll take up to ten minutes recruiting kids for the wrestling team.

That's not exactly a personal question, but I wouldn't spend more than two seconds on it. I will, from time to time, take a few minutes to explain how and why soccer sucks. If it's September, I'll take up to ten minutes recruiting kids for the wrestling team.
Who cleans the iron maiden afterward?

You must have misstated your opinion in the previous post I quoted.

I didn't word it well at all. Admittedly. I meant they're moaning about the Florida law...and what they think it says. Not that their moaning about what they think it says is valid.

If a heterosexual can discuss a life experience with their partner, a homosexual should be allowed to do the same without being fired or sued

Rightwinger is lost and we know this, but for reasonable people on this board: a good teacher should find whatever the subject matter at hand is more fascinating than themselves. This what I see in a lot of these teacher videos--not just narcissism but immaturity both as people and teachers. As if the children learning about "Life through my eyes" is endlessly more fascinating than the child living their best life as an educated person.

Rightwinger is lost and we know this, but for reasonable people on this board: a good teacher should find whatever the subject matter at hand is more fascinating than themselves. This what I see in a lot of these teacher videos--not just narcissism but immaturity both as people and teachers. As if the children learning about "Life through my eyes" is endlessly more fascinating than the child living their best life as an educated person.
damn…you must be one boring teacher
Reading your posts, I can see why

Good teachers will apply life experiences to make the lesson plan practical

damn…you must be one boring teacher
Reading your posts, I can see why

Good teachers will apply life experiences to make the lesson plan practical
Should a teacher in sex ed class share about the time the gerbil got stuck in his anus during a feltching session?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back