Hey Mitt..........Americans are not moochers!

Again... for the umpteen billionth time

The only time an adult US citizen should be paying zero in income tax is when that person earns zero in income... every citizen, every dollar, treated the same should be the goal

And if you are taking more back in refunds than you were putting in in the first place, you are dependent and being supported

ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!! winner winner chicken dinner

Yes

We definitely need to raise taxes on the poor and cut taxes on the wealthy

Its only fair

Again, idiot... there never should have been anything in place where any person earning even $1 was exempt from federal income tax...

Fuck fair... embrace equality in treatment

Yes

Its only fair

Again, idiot... there never should have been anything in place where any person earning even $1 was exempt from federal income tax...

I agree.

Everyone should have skin in the game.

No one should get a free ride.

Fair is fair.

Yes

Its only fair

I agree.

Fair is fair.

So let's assume a 25% tax on ALL income for ALL people. Is that fair? Would Romney be OK jumping from 13% to 25%? Would someone who pays 0% now (income tax) be willing to start giving up 1/4 of their paycheck? Hard to say, but I think both sides will fight you on a flat tax. Just so you know, 25% flat tax would actually lower my income tax burden even with the deductions I take, so I am all for it.

I agree.

Fair is fair.

So let's assume a 25% tax on ALL income for ALL people. Is that fair? Would Romney be OK jumping from 13% to 25%? Would someone who pays 0% now (income tax) be willing to start giving up 1/4 of their paycheck? Hard to say, but I think both sides will fight you on a flat tax. Just so you know, 25% flat tax would actually lower my income tax burden even with the deductions I take, so I am all for it.

For the trillionth time.. 'fair' is subjective... we should not be worried about 'fair' in government... taxation should be blind as justice is supposed to be

I agree.

Fair is fair.

For the trillionth time.. 'fair' is subjective... we should not be worried about 'fair' in government... taxation should be blind as justice is supposed to be

OK....stop getting hung up on the words. Is this doable? Can it get passed by both parties? Would this get bipartisan support? If not, why are we wasting our time talking about it?

2012-taxes-truth-n.jpg

OK....stop getting hung up on the words. Is this doable? Can it get passed by both parties? Would this get bipartisan support? If not, why are we wasting our time talking about it?

I think if approached the proper way... and in combination with huge spending cuts in government, it could get passed... because a flat tax at a huge level that is needed to support huge government spending would not be palatable... now if it were say (for shits and giggles) 15% across the board with no exemptions, exceptions, etc.... that could be something that would gain support

I agree.

Fair is fair.

A person making 25K a year is barely getting by. Tax him/her $8250 and he/she has a take home of 16750.

Would never work.

We need to maintain a progressive tax based on income.....need to eliminate some of the write offs....and most of all....need to cut spending.

Nice to hear. So all money, including capital gains, should be taxed. Wonderful idea.
Plus it might be a good idea to strengthen Social Security by stopping the limits on taxation.

The only time an adult US citizen should be paying zero in income tax is when that person earns zero in income... every citizen, every dollar, treated the same should be the goal

And if you are taking more back in refunds than you were putting in in the first place, you are dependent and being supported

I agree.

Fair is fair.

A person making 25K a year is barely getting by. Tax him/her $8250 and he/she has a take home of 16750.

Would never work.

We need to maintain a progressive tax based on income.....need to eliminate some of the write offs....and most of all....need to cut spending.

Wrong, I HATE The progressive income tax, it just leads to division and makes no sense, every dollar should be taxed the same. And if we wanted to raise taxes you cant blame the rich, you'd have to get eveyone onboard, and that why liberals like the progressive tax....they can pit groups against each other....

And my favorite solution would be to ditch the income tax completely and just make a national sales tax.

He didnt say Americans are Mouchers. He said mindless Obama supporters who will never even consider voting for him are.

Im paraphrasing:)

Would never work.

Wrong, I HATE The progressive income tax, it just leads to division and makes no sense, every dollar should be taxed the same. And if we wanted to raise taxes you cant blame the rich, you'd have to get eveyone onboard, and that why liberals like the progressive tax....they can pit groups against each other....

And my favorite solution would be to ditch the income tax completely and just make a national sales tax.

9-9-9 bullshit

Americans aren't moochers. Democrats are moochers. Romney was right that the core of democrat voters won't vote for him anyway.

Romney has payed 6 million dollars in taxes for the past two years. that can support 22,413 peoples food stamps for a each year.

Would never work.

I am not one for solutions that eliminate political rhetoric......I want solutions that will work.

A national sales tax is certainly a valid idea...and one that deserves a true analysis. I believe it would result in lower prices as retailers would compete even more than they do now.

However, as long as we have unions, it may result in consumers buying more products made overseas...for those products can cut prices a lot more than domestic manufacturers would.

Yes

Its only fair

Because it has resulted in NO jobs since it was first started by Reagan.

That IS, after all, the real goal of the GObP/pubpots -- NO JOBS.

Anyone who still does not know that hasn't been paying attention to the constant filibustering and obstructing of jobs bills.

Americans are not moochers - CNN.com

Americans are not a nation of moochers and helpless dependents. Those who are not paying federal income tax would gladly do so, because it would mean they have a decent-paying job.GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney is right that 47% of Americans don't pay federal income tax. But he is wrong to suggest almost half of Americans pay no tax at all and feel entitled to live off government handouts.

Romney said: "There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. But that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax."

It's true that some Americans don't pay federal income tax. But virtually all Americans pay some form of tax, whether it's sales, payroll, state income, or property tax.

Rick McGaheyOver 60% of those who don't pay income tax are working; they pay payroll tax, which goes to support Social Security and Medicare. Another 22% of those who don't pay income tax are the elderly; most of them don't work.

In fact, only about 8% of Americans pay neither federal income tax nor payroll tax, because they are unemployed, are students, or are disabled.

RW, when you mention low wages, you hit the nail on the head. For over three decades wage earners have seen very little in wage growth that keeps up with inflation. Also, many of the newly created jobs are low paying jobs. Now who determines wages and wage growth? Would it be the same folks that ship jobs offshore?
With the demise of wages growth, of course fewer and fewer people become eligible to pay taxes per the convenient definition of taxpayers that the right loves to use (but it isn't accutate at all).
Where are the alleged job creators on this issue?

Many people in that 47% paid federal taxes for most of their lives. They used to have jobs that paid a competitive salary with benefits. They used to have disposable incomes and a piece of the American dream

They have since been dumped into the group of working Americans who struggle to support their families, who worry about their future and who no longer have an easy path ahead

And yes....It is the "Job Creators" who have dumped them into the 47% that Mitt Romney derides

No one promised you a rose garden. You have to create that for yourself. If you are one of those sitting back waiting for some job creator to provide you that great job, you are a fool, and a loser. No one owes you a damn thing, and no one is obligated to risk their capital just to provide you a good paying job.

You get paid exactly what you are worth to the person doing the paying. You think that you are worth more, go find someone who will pay you what you think you are worth. Good luck with that.

Forum List

Back