Hey Bones

Can cats take benadryl?

Children's Benadryl

1. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) – Dogs and cats can be given 1-2 mg.per lb every eight hours. This can be used to treat allergic reactions, and it also has some anti-anxiety and anti-vertigo effects. As a general rule, it is pretty safe stuff. The primary side effect is drowsiness, so please do not allow your pet to drink alcohol or operate heavy machinery while taking it.
Source(s):
vetpets.com

Children's Benadryl for cats, what is the correct dosage? - Yahoo! Answers

for a cat, drowsiness is not a problem. I'll pick some children's up tomorrow. Thanks.

you have a mg measuring spoon? :eusa_eh: :doubt: Take the cat to the vet Willow :mad:

FYI: I wouldn't take advice from the rw kook- lilrebnyc1775 either :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Take it to the Vet Willow.
Just because you think it might be allergies, it might be something else too.

WahhhhhCat-1.jpg

cats aren't toys Willow. they're living/breathing beings. You don't "guesstimate" on medicines :nono: :eusa_doh:

CEBengal.jpg

Last edited:
o hell back up the short bus.....i dont know a pet owner who doesnt cut corners when they can......let me tell ya.....we shell out hundreds.....when we can do home vetting...we do it....

i seriously doubt the cat has anything but allergies....willow is not a slack owner and knows when an animal is in trouble....hell she struggled with a diabetic cat for as long as she could....

no wants to pay an er visit....its normally 125 bucks to just look at the animal....

I have no pets at the moment.....but I just wanted to chime in to say...what a nice lovely thread to read *smiles*
Seriously!
Willow....Bones.....back and forth.....a few others chiming in...to help and chat with each other.
I loved it...no fussing, just a nice pleasant thread....just wanted to mention that to y'all ~LoL~

So many people are allergic to cats, what if Wiwwow's cat is allergic to people..

hhehhehee one article suggested bathing the cat to remove pollen from its skin....

go for it willow but damn post pics of wet cat and the bloodied you

Can cats take benadryl?

Yes, they can.... but you have to be VERY careful with the dose to weight ratio. It its best in liquid from...so the kids stuff.

I do not know the dosage per pound..... Most drugs are .1cc per pound of cat.... and NOT sure for benadryl...... so i would call your vet to be sure.

she's sneezing, then she's stopped up, her eyes are running. she has allergies.

Are you sure it is allergies and not URI? You are also describing the symptoms for upper respiratory track infection. For that you will need antibiotics.

now something said not to use the liquid cause of the additives.....

but i will bow to sy....i have never used anything like that on the cats....cats are so damned sensitive

and with the male cats i wouldnt use anything that threaten their renal functions

now something said not to use the liquid cause of the additives.....

but i will bow to sy....i have never used anything like that on the cats....cats are so damned sensitive

and with the male cats i wouldnt use anything that threaten their renal functions

You can control the amount of a liquid better then guessing how much of a smashed up pill the cat is actually getting..... so that is why using the baby liquid is better in this case.

Truthfully... the cat will be just fine until Monday when willow can call the vet. Allergies or URI are not life threatening.... overdosing a cat with drugs could be. For me i would not take that chance.

My dog takes benadryl just about every day for his allergies.

He has steroids too, but the side effects from the steroids are a nightmare.

Forum List

Back