Hey, 99 Percenters, You Call This 'Fair'?

A study by the New York City Independent Budget Office was released this week, and you didn't hear much about it in the mainstream media because it hurts their candidate's message.

Keep in mind, I'm your Conservative Everyman. I'm no economist, nor am I a political scientist. I call 'em as I see 'em just like you do. And away we go...

New York City has a little more than 8 million residents. Of those many millions, 1% -- ONE PERCENT -- pays 43% of the income taxes. You know how many people that works out to? About 35,000 people.

Picture in your mind's eye the City of New York, not just Manhattan, but all five boroughs. Imagine the throngs here right now enjoying the holidays. Think about the police presence, the sanitation, the schools brimming with children...East Side, West Side, The Village -- a hell of a town! 8 million people!

Now imagine Yankee Stadium, or any average Major League ballpark, and fill it except for the nosebleed seats. That tiny number pays almost HALF the operating costs for the city. How's THAT for fair?

Another kick in the head is that ten percent of New Yorkers pay 71% of the taxes. Guess how much income it takes to crack that ten percent?You don't have to be one of the millionaires or billionaires whom the Divider in Chief loves to vilify. You need not be an evil fat cat making $200,000 -- perish the thought! What's it take to crack the top ten percent in the most expensive city in America? $105,000. Yep, a buck five.​

The 1% pay 43% of the taxes... and it's just another day. The rest pay the taxes and it really hurts. Rich people don't sit around and have to budget and cut back the way that poor people do because of taxes.

Of course they do. I'm not rich, but I do bring home the 6 figure salary + annuities I already get. I budget VERY carefully, lest I end up poor.

Statements like that indicate that you simply don't understand your money. One reason some people have a lot of money is that they don't go out and blow it all on stupid shit. A lot of people in this country could have a nice nest egg laid by if they would just not spend the latte or bottled water bucks. I was flabbergasted at the amount of money my mother managed to accumulate and she was a stay at home mom until she was 55, then she was a minimum wage worker until she retire, then she lived on Social Security. She understood her money. People like you do not.

A study by the New York City Independent Budget Office was released this week, and you didn't hear much about it in the mainstream media because it hurts their candidate's message.

Keep in mind, I'm your Conservative Everyman. I'm no economist, nor am I a political scientist. I call 'em as I see 'em just like you do. And away we go...

New York City has a little more than 8 million residents. Of those many millions, 1% -- ONE PERCENT -- pays 43% of the income taxes. You know how many people that works out to? About 35,000 people.

Picture in your mind's eye the City of New York, not just Manhattan, but all five boroughs. Imagine the throngs here right now enjoying the holidays. Think about the police presence, the sanitation, the schools brimming with children...East Side, West Side, The Village -- a hell of a town! 8 million people!

Now imagine Yankee Stadium, or any average Major League ballpark, and fill it except for the nosebleed seats. That tiny number pays almost HALF the operating costs for the city. How's THAT for fair?

Another kick in the head is that ten percent of New Yorkers pay 71% of the taxes. Guess how much income it takes to crack that ten percent?You don't have to be one of the millionaires or billionaires whom the Divider in Chief loves to vilify. You need not be an evil fat cat making $200,000 -- perish the thought! What's it take to crack the top ten percent in the most expensive city in America? $105,000. Yep, a buck five.​

The 1% pay 43% of the taxes... and it's just another day. The rest pay the taxes and it really hurts. Rich people don't sit around and have to budget and cut back the way that poor people do because of taxes.

Of course they do. I'm not rich, but I do bring home the 6 figure salary + annuities I already get. I budget VERY carefully, lest I end up poor.

Statements like that indicate that you simply don't understand your money. One reason some people have a lot of money is that they don't go out and blow it all on stupid shit. A lot of people in this country could have a nice nest egg laid by if they would just not spend the latte or bottled water bucks. I was flabbergasted at the amount of money my mother managed to accumulate and she was a stay at home mom until she was 55, then she was a minimum wage worker until she retire, then she lived on Social Security. She understood her money. People like you do not.

Well obviously everybody has to not spend their ass into oblivion... but when I make fucking 10 times less than you do(or more, I don't know what side of the six figure salary you're indicating you make, but I make 10k), my state of affairs are going to be a lot more delicate than yours when budgeting. It's about survival. Raking in 100k a year is not the same story of survival.

And don't even try to fucking say otherwise, lest you show supreme ignorance in how the world works.

It was a masterful stroke by Republicans to "simplify the tax code" they dumped those who were making $400 k in with those who were making $40 million. Now when you try to raise the upper bracket they scream....."it's an unfair burden on those who only make $400k"

That is very masterful. NOT FAIR at all. Huge difference between the two.

How much do you think the guy making $40 million should pay?

I'm sure when I read your response that I'll be rolling on the floor.

You probably will be rolling on the floor from the glue huffing, or the straight shots of PGA. Quit stalking me, crack smoker. If you were to tell me that you make anywhere near 6 figures, I would call bullshit.

Sure is! You'd think they'd do something to improve their lot in life instead of just demand that the people who did give them part of their wealth.

Yes, so some other schmo can take the job they left while the big picture and overall disparity changes not a lick.

Indeed.

You do realize that there is a progression in employment and income don't you? I started out as a teenager in high school sacking groceries for $1.60 per hour. I worked there part way thru college and because I wasn't a slacker and had a good work ethic, I was given greater responsibilities and more pay. I went to work for a bank right out of college and when they switched me to full time back in 1980, they started paying me $900 a month and I thought I was living like a king. By the time I turned 28, I was making more than my dad was after 32 years in his union job. 31 years down the road, I won't tell you how much I make, but it's much better than that $900 a month back in 1980. I've never been out of work a single day of my adult life.

You make your own luck thru the choices you make. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were average kids with an idea and a dream who started companies in their garages and became part of that 1% rich bastard group. Is there disparity in income? Of course there is. Is there disparity in the length of dicks or the size of boobs? Yeah, there is. Individuals cam close their own disparity gap thru the choices they make. Using the government to take wealth from one person to give to another person in an attempt to be "fair" is pure and simple bullshit.

That is spot on! I get recruitment letters and calls EVERY single day. When I retire, I plan to take some travel assignments to warm places in the coldest months. That will give me some additional income to my annuities and I will get all my travel and living expenses paid.

You're right, it's not fair. Since they own more than 90% of the nations wealth, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

The last time I checked, taxes are based on INCOME, not wealth.

Some are based on capital gains which is not EARNED income.

When I think about the wealthy in America, I think about the hard work, the risk and the sacrifice it takes to succeed. I think about all the people able to feed their children and send them to school because they have jobs created by the successful risk-takers. I don't hold a grudge against the big time rich -- except for limousine liberal millionaires in Hollywood.

This is typical of the ignorance and stupidity of the right:

No one ‘holds a grudge’ against the rich. Americans simply want the wealthy to pay their fair share, nothing more, nothing less. When it comes to addressing the budget deficit, for example, Americans don’t want to see taxes increased on the Middle Class – or benefits reduced for the elderly, disabled, and children – to balance the budget with the wealthy not contributing.

As for taxes in New York, that’s antidotal, non-representative, and irrelevant. An utter non-issue.
They do pay their imaginary "fair" share.
That's a fact.
In fact this whole fair share thing is a political ruse. A ruse designed to deflect attention away from the real problem. Fiscal irresponsibility in Washington, DC.

It was a masterful stroke by Republicans to "simplify the tax code" they dumped those who were making $400 k in with those who were making $40 million. Now when you try to raise the upper bracket they scream....."it's an unfair burden on those who only make $400k"

How much do you think the guy making $40 million should pay?

I'm sure when I read your response that I'll be rolling on the floor.

For a start, I'd like to see them pay what they were paying before Bush slashed their tax rate

You know....back when we had a budget surplus

Last edited:

Well obviously everybody has to not spend their ass into oblivion... but when I make fucking 10 times less than you do(or more, I don't know what side of the six figure salary you're indicating you make, but I make 10k), my state of affairs are going to be a lot more delicate than yours when budgeting. It's about survival. Raking in 100k a year is not the same story of survival.

And don't even try to fucking say otherwise, lest you show supreme ignorance in how the world works.

I didn't get to earn a 6 figure salary by being stupd or by looking at others who did and claiming they owed me something. This year, I was diagnosed with an illness for which the medicine costs 100K/year. I have a good job, good insurance, and met the catastrophic deductible. That meant no copays or deductibles for the last 3 months of the year. So, I have been calling my pharmacies, local and mail out getting every script refilled I can. I am now pretty much in the clear for the first 90 days of 2012 on medicines. I work at this. I don't just lie back and let it happen. If I decided that my state of affairs was not, what was your word, 'delicate' and blew what I brought home on silly shit all year, I would not have been able to pay each bill in full as they rolled in. Just this week, I got a $150 check from Vanderbilt for an overpayment, and the mail out pharmacy owes me $100 in overpayment.

So don't give may any of your bullshit about how much less 'delicate' budgeting is for people who make over 100K. Anyone who gets to that level of earning and thinks they can start blowing money left and right will soon have nothing. I have thought about my money every day of my adult life both before and after my husband died. And I have never stopped keeping the little notebook with a list of every cent I expect to pay out each paycheck. Now, I could just let the bills roll in and pay them as they hit the mailbox. I could do that, and I would be able. But I will NEVER stop budgeting. EVER. And I gave my stamp of approval to my daughter who ditched her first serious romance because she is a Dave Ramsey girl and he liked to blow his money. There is nothing like good common sense. Something with which you, apparently, are most unfamiliar!

Last edited:

I didn't get to earn a 6 figure salary by being stupd or by looking at others who did and claiming they owed me something. This year, I was diagnosed with an illness for which the medicine costs 100K/year. I have a good job, good insurance, and met the catastrophic deductible. If I decided that my state of affairs was not, what was your word, 'delicate' and blew what I brought home on silly shit all year, I would not have been able to pay each bill in full as they rolled in. Just this week, I got a 150 check from Vanderbilt for an overpayment, and the mail out pharmacy owes me $100 in overpayment.

So don't give may any of your bullshit about how much less 'delicate' budgeting is for people who make over 100K. Anyone who gets to that level of earning and thinks they can start blowing money left and right will soon have nothing. I have thought about my money every day of my adult life both before and after my husband died. And I have never stopped keeping the little notebook with a list of every cent I expect to pay out each paycheck. Now, I couldjust let the bills roll in and pay them as they hit the mailbox. I could do that, and I would be able. But I will NEVER stop budgeting. EVER. And I gave my stamp of approval to my daughter who ditched her first serious romance because she is a Dave Ramsey girl and he liked to blow his money. There is nothing like good common sense. Something with which you, apparently, are most unfamiliar!

So to summarize your post.

"Poor people who make less money than me are at their position in life because they are stupid and don't know how to finance their money(and they beg for everything to be handed to them!), and my level of income and spending requirements are just as perilous as theirs. I also handle everything better at every step of the way! I don't know exactly how well or poorly people are financing their money, but because they are poor people I will use the adverb poorly to describe everything they do!"

Yeah, who wouldn't love you? You're just a ray of Sunshine.

Last edited:

At a 35% rate with no deductions-

$400K=$260K net (gee thanx)

$40million=$26million (they're going to starve. What will they do?)

That's assuming a flat rate....

The person making 400k nets somewhere in the neighborhood of 300k.

Hey glue huffer...take notes. This is an intelligent response. He thinks. He understands, and best of all....he didn't call anyone a turd.

I didn't get to earn a 6 figure salary by being stupd or by looking at others who did and claiming they owed me something. This year, I was diagnosed with an illness for which the medicine costs 100K/year. I have a good job, good insurance, and met the catastrophic deductible. If I decided that my state of affairs was not, what was your word, 'delicate' and blew what I brought home on silly shit all year, I would not have been able to pay each bill in full as they rolled in. Just this week, I got a 150 check from Vanderbilt for an overpayment, and the mail out pharmacy owes me $100 in overpayment.

So don't give may any of your bullshit about how much less 'delicate' budgeting is for people who make over 100K. Anyone who gets to that level of earning and thinks they can start blowing money left and right will soon have nothing. I have thought about my money every day of my adult life both before and after my husband died. And I have never stopped keeping the little notebook with a list of every cent I expect to pay out each paycheck. Now, I couldjust let the bills roll in and pay them as they hit the mailbox. I could do that, and I would be able. But I will NEVER stop budgeting. EVER. And I gave my stamp of approval to my daughter who ditched her first serious romance because she is a Dave Ramsey girl and he liked to blow his money. There is nothing like good common sense. Something with which you, apparently, are most unfamiliar!

"Poor people who make less money than me are at their position in life because they are stupid and don't know how to finance their money, and my level of income and spending requirements are just as perilous as theirs. I also handle everything better at every step of the way! I don't know exactly how well or poorly people are financing their money, but because they are poor people I will use the adverb poorly to describe everything they do!"

What don't you get about my having an illness that costs $100K/year? And about my actually being able to pay for it instead of expecting you to pay for it? You are a fucking idiot. If I lived according to your logic YOU would be paying my medical bills like, no doubt, I am paying yours.

This is STILL America. This is still the land of opportunity. Hell fire, there is STILL a nursing shortage and there is free money everywhere for anyone who can make the grades. Most of those scholarships go untaken every year. So, yes, a good number of people are too lazy and stupid to take advantage of these advantages.

Yeah, who wouldn't love you? You're just a ray of cow Shit!

Last edited:
You're right, it's not fair. Since they own more than 90% of the nations wealth, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

The last time I checked, taxes are based on INCOME, not wealth.

Some are based on capital gains which is not EARNED income.

Someone else who knows what she is talking about....and she didn't call me a "turd" either.

Capital gainsssssss...don't even get me started on that one. :mad:

"Poor people who make less money than me are at their position in life because they are stupid and don't know how to finance their money, and my level of income and spending requirements are just as perilous as theirs. I also handle everything better at every step of the way! I don't know exactly how well or poorly people are financing their money, but because they are poor people I will use the adverb poorly to describe everything they do!"

What don't you get about my having an illness that costs $100K/year? And about my actually being able to pay for it instead of expecting you to? You are a fucking idiot. If I lived according to your logic YOU would be paying my medical bills like, no doubt, I am paying yours.

This is STILL America. Hell fire, there is STILL a nursing shortage and there is free money everywhere for anyone who can make the grades. Most of those scholarships go untaken every year. So, yes, a good number of people are too lazy and stupid to take advantage of these advantages.

Yeah, who wouldn't love you? You're just a ray of Shit!

Oh boohoo, you have an illness that costs $100k a year! Excuse me while I save my sympathy for the people who contract similar illnesses but can't afford it. Furthermore, you're the type of individual who would prefer those people to not find any sort of health coverage unless they can afford it(which is the real reason I don't have any sympathy for you). It is really patriotic to not give a fuck about your fellow Americans.

A ray of shit? Yes, that makes perfect sense! As opposed to a stream of shit. I never really knew before that feces could be transmogrified into a beam of light.

Yeah, who wouldn't love you? *You're just a ray of cow Shit!
EDIT: Oh and I saw you just now edited your post to have it be a "ray of cow shit". So now it's a very specific type of feces that can do it. LOL. What was the point of adding that little qualifier?

Last edited:

What don't you get about my having an illness that costs $100K/year? And about my actually being able to pay for it instead of expecting you to? You are a fucking idiot. If I lived according to your logic YOU would be paying my medical bills like, no doubt, I am paying yours.

This is STILL America. Hell fire, there is STILL a nursing shortage and there is free money everywhere for anyone who can make the grades. Most of those scholarships go untaken every year. So, yes, a good number of people are too lazy and stupid to take advantage of these advantages.

Oh boohoo, you have an illness that costs $100k a year! Excuse me while I save my sympathy for the people who contract similar illnesses but can't afford it. Furthermore, you're the type of individual who would prefer those people to not find any sort of health coverage unless they can afford it(which is the real reason I don't have any sympathy for you). It is really patriotic to not give a fuck about your fellow Americans.

A ray of shit? Yes, that makes perfect sense! As opposed to a stream of shit. I never really knew before that feces could be transmogrified into a beam of light.

Actually you read about as badly as you think. As a health care worker of a quarter of a century, I have advocated for national health care since the day I logged on here. Of course your sorry asssed lord and savior 0bama was too stupid to get it through. I have asked you for no money and for no sympathy. See there, you simply can't read. Cowshit.

Yeah, who wouldn't love you? *You're just a ray of cow Shit!
EDIT: Oh and I saw you just now edited your post to have it be a "ray of cow shit". So now it's a very specific type of feces that can do it. LOL. What was the point of adding that little qualifier?

Being a cow, you are no doubt full of cow shit!

And FWIW, cowhsit, I will edit my posts as long as the option is available.

:lol:

No trap has been set. And yes...I see the sarcasm in your writing. JStone (stoner) is glad that I have MS....and he frequently tells me so. It's supposed to bother me. :lol:

Look at the pictures....hmmm....is that supposed to say that I'm incapable of understanding things without pictures? Another original insult. I'm completely capable or grasping what this thread is about, and have posted some opinions and facts and no one seems interested in those, as they don't insult one side or the other.

Insults perplex me. Few in here seem to want to compromise on anything. It's more fun, I guess, to insult the other. It is more challenging, though, to find common ground...and thus smarter.

I must find this claim that 50% of Americans don't pay income taxes. And once I find this, I must find out WHY they don't pay taxes.

"Do not pay taxes" is a misused term.
The text should be written "roughly 50% of all wage earners have no federal tax liability"..
That is due to credits ,deductions and allowances that exceed the earner's federal liability.
That is the what and the why.
Now, do not confuse this with a tax refund. A refund is due because the taxpayer on his or her W-2 form filed in such a way as to incur higher withholding than required.
Some people do this deliberately so they receive a check from the government.
Unfortunately these people are mistakenly allowing the government an interest free loan. DUMB...

Yes, I know many families who have 6-10 children partially for the tax credits. And these individuals can often be heard griping about welfare recipients. I find this hypocritical.

My biggest issue is the tax brackets. It bothers me that people who gross $400k and those who gross $4 billion or even more are in the same tax bracket. The 400 thousanders are getting...excuse the expression...ass reamed. I realize that there are capital gains taxes and other things, but something is a little off kilter here. And I don' t know that I believe that the lower income earners are to blame. I pay a NICE CHUNK of my income to taxes every year. But I'm single without dependents. This = ass reaming.
35% of $400,000 assuming that is adjusted gross income, is a lot less than 35% of $4million...Where's the gripe?
At those numbers....assuming this is adjusted gross income.
Tax on $400k is 135,000....$135 million on $4 million.
A difference of $1,215,000. The tax on the lower income is just 11% of the higher.
The higher income tax is 900% more...
Again, the problem is?

Everyone back up and take a deep breath. It's the holidays. Some have made better choices in life than others. And some just plain had better opportunities than others.

Cow, I'm not sure what your situation is at this point, but I can tell you that I personally am in a precarious situation right now. I have an illness that I didn't expect....or rather.....I can say that I expected it due to family history, but I didn't expect it to come on overnight.

It's going to basically eat me up on the inside; and I'm in a job that is quite physically demanding. While I'm not in Sunshine's position, with treatment costs...mine are going to be....about $30,000/yr.

The key is to plan, plan, PLAN. Because crap happens when you least expect it. Peace, and happy holidays to you.

Everyone back up and take a deep breath. It's the holidays. Some have made better choices in life than others. And some just plain had better opportunities than others.

Cow, I'm not sure what your situation is at this point, but I can tell you that I personally am in a precarious situation right now. I have an illness that I didn't expect....or rather.....I can say that I expected it due to family history, but I didn't expect it to come on overnight.

It's going to basically eat me up on the inside; and I'm in a job that is quite physically demanding. While I'm not in Sunshine's position, with treatment costs...mine are going to be....about $30,000/yr.

The key is to plan, plan, PLAN. Because crap happens when you least expect it. Peace, and happy holidays to you.

In TN with the 'HOPE' scholarships anyone who has maintained a 'C' average in HS can go to college. Opportunity abounds.

I'll do what is necessary, but not while 50% is sitting there contributing NOTHING to this country while reaping the rewards of living in a free country. Nor will I sit by while the rich use the loop holes and subsidies afforded them that they don't need. And they can take a hit just like me.

I will not, however let the small business people take the hit. They are the job makers of this country.

And what is it that you plan on doing, vote?

You do realize that unless you can cough up several thousands of dollars to give to a government official of some stripe to get things to go yor way, your vote is basically meaningless; a nice exercise in the democratic process, but meaningless none the less.

Our government is owned lock, stock, and barrel by those who can afford the campaign contributions (aka, bribes).

In that case, I'm sure we can depend on you to stay home and grumble on Election Day 2012, rather than wasting your valuable time casting your meaningless vote, yes?
Those who do not vote and are registered who do not exercise their right to vote IMO have no right to an opinion.
One cannot expect to have the luxury of criticism while standing on the sidelines.

But I was taught years ago that the definition of 'opportunity' is 'a chance to work.' But hey, that's just me.

Forum List

Back