Heterophobia on the rise????

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Bonnie, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    This column can be found online at:
    http://www.pfox.org/asp/newsman/templates/newstemplate.asp?articleid=274&zoneid=2

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    It's lunacy that people can be fired from their public-sector jobs for exercising their right to free speech.

3. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It's not lunacy when their comments endanger their ability to be seen as fair and unbiased public servents. This column is lunacy. Heterophobia??!! You've got to be kidding me. I'm sorry PFOX is whining about it's ability to spread around it's lies on Subways. The people they claim to save aren't ex-gay, they are ex-practicing gay. They have made a choice to ignore their homosexual feelings and carry into heterosexual relationships because they are ashamed of being gay. This isn't "curing" them, this is browbeating and shaming them into performing an act of submission. PFOX and organizations like it engage in junk science. This, in my opinion, is akin to the sterilization of "undesirables" that went on in this country and was sanctioned by the United States Supreme Court in the 1930s.

Heterophobia? No, try veritaphobia, fear of the truth.

acludem

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    After reading your posts about the gay/bisexual penguin, I have a real hard time taking anything you say seriously any more.

5. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I just read PFOX's "about us" section. They do a nice job of sugar coating what they are really about, "curing" gay people. This is like the KKK arguing that they don't hate black people, they just want to "preserve the white race". It holds no water. I don't hate anyone, if you are a gay person and choose to live as a heterosexual so be it. The idea of "ex-gay" is ridiculous.

acludem

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

If Jeff Dahmer never killed and ate people, would he still be a 'murderer' because he chose to never act on his illicit urges? Am I a 'speeder' because I resist my illegal urges?

People who never have sex with others of their gender cannot, by definition be homosexuals. To think otherwise smart people believe the bullshit stories about people being 'born gay' is beyond amazing.

"Uh...I can't help it...I was BORN this way!"

Otherewise smart person: "Oh. Okay. If you say so. In that case, lets go off your word AND NOT ON SCIENCE and write in for you all kinds of special rights...."

7. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Mr. Smith specifically qualified his comments to avoid what you're talking about:

"Graham demanded Smith's resignation from the transit authority board. Smith refused, explaining that his remarks had nothing to do with his job and were made in public outside of his job. He also reiterated his support for Metro's non-discrimination policy and his respect for differing views on homosexuality."

Exercising one's right to free speech off the job should not be grounds for firing.

Your comparison of sexual preference to race is ridiculous. The former is a description regarding action one takes by making a conscious choice, the latter is a characteristic that the person has no choice about.

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I don't believe people have a choice about whether they are gay or not, they can chose not act "gay". How about if he said that he thought that Hitler's attempt to eradicate Jewish people was okay? And don't tell me religion isn't a "choice".

Even if you say it on your own time, when you are a public servant you have to be careful about what you say. It's different for a private sector employee. The public, including gay people, pay his salary. Public servants have free speech rights, but they also have a responsibility to the public they serve to use decorum.

acludem

9. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Then you agree that people don't have the right to free speech.

10. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    If he wants to think that Hitler was a great guy, that's fine by me, as long as it doesn't inhibit his ability to do his job - which is exactly the case with his comments about homosexuality.

I totally disagree. Just because one is a public servant doesn't mean their rights are somehow limited. For example, if I state that homosexuality is a sin (which I believe, as a Christian), should the federal government fire me?