Hero's

Jack

"Dirty Jack"
Aug 28, 2003
Florida
Hi all,

just want to drop a line and let you know we are doing ok. I want to tell you about a man who came from Wisconsin ( I think that is where he is from ) who hooked up his boat to his pickup which was loaded with tools chain saws etc. and came to town to help anyone that needed it. He stopped by a house that had trees down and told the people he would cut them up for no charge. He is knocking himself out all over town helping people and not asking for anything. He bought his boat because he knew there would be repairs from the water. This man just felt compelled to come down here and help. He is my kind of hero. This type of thing is happening every day. There are those who are on the other end who are looting. I have to tell you that the Punta Gorda Police, the Charlotte County Sheriffs are doing a tremendous job. They are arresting many of them. It is very strange to drive here since all traffic lights on the highway are out and you have soldiers with M-16's directing. Everyone considers each intersection a four way stop and traffic is moving well. There are so many hero's here I couldn't mention all. Outback is at the staging area where the guard and sheriff's office work from and they set up grills to feed all. The sheriff's department lost their building also. We received a large shipment of food and water today from Wacovia. We have plenty of drinking water, but no water to shower with. Ok sorry for the long post but just wanted to mention a few hero's

Jack & Laurie

Jack said:
Hi all,

just want to drop a line and let you know we are doing ok. I want to tell you about a man who came from Wisconsin ( I think that is where he is from ) who hooked up his boat to his pickup which was loaded with tools chain saws etc. and came to town to help anyone that needed it. He stopped by a house that had trees down and told the people he would cut them up for no charge. He is knocking himself out all over town helping people and not asking for anything. He bought his boat because he knew there would be repairs from the water. This man just felt compelled to come down here and help. He is my kind of hero. This type of thing is happening every day. There are those who are on the other end who are looting. I have to tell you that the Punta Gorda Police, the Charlotte County Sheriffs are doing a tremendous job. They are arresting many of them. It is very strange to drive here since all traffic lights on the highway are out and you have soldiers with M-16's directing. Everyone considers each intersection a four way stop and traffic is moving well. There are so many hero's here I couldn't mention all. Outback is at the staging area where the guard and sheriff's office work from and they set up grills to feed all. The sheriff's department lost their building also. We received a large shipment of food and water today from Wacovia. We have plenty of drinking water, but no water to shower with. Ok sorry for the long post but just wanted to mention a few hero's

Jack & Laurie

Glad you both are doing ok. It's so good to hear how people really do come through for each other! Thanks for sharing that. :clap1:

Always nice to see that there are stil some GOOD people out there. I have seen on the news some of the nice things that people or doing. I also saw that they have arrested quite a bit of people trying to loot. It's really a shame that people would do such a thing given the situation, but that's low lifes for ya. Glad to see your getting some things, I am sure a shower would be a plus. Keep your spirits up, better days are coming.

Thanks for sharing that ! With all the bad news being reported in this world I am glad someone I know is benefiting from the good that still within people !
Take care you two ! We are always here for yall if you need an ear or friend !

Yeah, this sort of thing really brings out the best and worst in people. Luckily when I was down there, I saw so many great, great people and can think of hardly any people being negative or otherwise bad. Other than the b*tch at the Wal-Mart in Sun City (don't even ask).

The sad thing is that with all the coverage in the news, there's hardly any stories about these great people. It's all coverage on the terrible destruction, no water or power, etc. All the bad stuff they can get. I guess that's what sells. It's just sad.

I was in Tampa, Florida during hurricane Elena. It stalled 80 miles east off the coast of St. Petersburg for almost a day and half. The new home I had just bought not six months before was luckily, A, built out of brick block, and B, was located on some of the highest ground in Tampa just north of Kennedy Blvd, so it didn't flood, and I didn't have to evacuate. But just blocks from my house was flooded bad. There was lots of cars stalled in intersections covered in water, some clear over their hoods. I helped people get out and took them to my house to dry off and let them use the phone.

http://www.stormsurvival.homestead.com/Hurricane_Elena_.html

Unfortunately, like Dan has already said, those types of things can and do bring out the best, and the worst in people. I like a picture I saw on my yahoo home page, it was of a man sitting in front of his devestated home with a shot gun acrossed his lap and a sign painted on a piece of plywood beside him that said, "looters will be shot".

I pray the best comes your way Jack.

Pale Rider, great to hear you helped others out, there should be more people out there like you.

pale rider said:
I like a picture I saw on my yahoo home page, it was of a man sitting in front of his devestated home with a shot gun acrossed his lap and a sign painted on a piece of plywood beside him that said, "looters will be shot".

Yeah, there's a gun store in town with that sign up,too. Frankly, I know I'm supposed to be a bleeding-heart liberal, but any person who can steal from people who just went through this deserves to be shot on sight.

Saw a couple Dan that owned one of the jewelry stores there - the Wife had a gun sitting on her lap - It's sad when it comes to that, but hey, if your going to have slum come and try to steal, then pay the price. I also saw that they have arrested 16 people already for looting. A shame to take advantage of the situation.

I agree that heroes are those who do the right thing, just because it's the right thing. Not in the hopes of getting something- money, fame, heaven, the next life, etc.

I never consider sports people, actors or musicians as heroes. They are strictly there for decoration and entertainment not education.

Dan said:
Yeah, there's a gun store in town with that sign up,too. Frankly, I know I'm supposed to be a bleeding-heart liberal, but any person who can steal from people who just went through this deserves to be shot on sight.

That's great to hear Dan. You've just taken your first step towards recovery, and becoming a conservative... :thup:

Forum List

Back