Hero Defends Shop With Unregistered Gun

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
I didn't read the link, but if his gun was unregistered, doesn't that make him a criminal as well?

The sidewalk outside the Harlem store still was smeared with blood Friday, and the glass on the door still was blown out.

Above the entrance, someone had scribbled the words, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

Shopkeeper ‘didn’t want to shoot’ robbers - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Thank goodness this law abiding citizen had his gun to resist these criminals who attacked his employees and tried to rob his store.

Completely agree. Excellent post.:clap2:

I didn't read the link, but if his gun was unregistered, doesn't that make him a criminal as well?

Well then we should arrest him immediately for likely saving the lives of his employees.

Well then we should arrest him immediately for likely saving the lives of his employees.

I think he should be thanked for saving all those people, then immediately arrested for shooting someone with an unregistered gun. He is a criminal. A hero, but a criminal who broke the law.

Interesting dichotomy if you ask me.

I have seen so many people say over and over, if you break the law, you should be punished. This guy should be thanked and prosecuted.

I think he should be thanked for saving all those people, then immediately arrested for shooting someone with an unregistered gun. He is a criminal. A hero, but a criminal who broke the law.

Interesting dichotomy if you ask me.

I have seen so many people say over and over, if you break the law, you should be punished. This guy should be thanked and prosecuted.

By doing so you'd then make it so people think twice before using their guns for self-defense, and thus making it far more likely to have victims rather than heroes. This man should be praised for his bravery, not prosecuted for an unjust law that makes criminals out of law abiding citizens.

He's innocent until proven guilty. And it looks at present like no charges are being brought.

I'd prefer to see the gun registered, but if a gun is unregistered I'd prefer to see it in the hands of someone like the store owner rather than the guys who tried to rob him.

For me, this only becomes a problem when the wrong guy gets shot. In this case the wrong guy wasn't but, if charges are brought, then unfortunately he is probably going to be found guilty.

If this happens, I hope the judge convicts him of a misdemeanor and fines him $1.

I feel potentially sorry for the families of the victims, but punishing the old guy would be, in my view, un-American. Then again, I'm not American so what do I know.

Most likely the perps had unregistered guns too. They broke the law by trying to rob the store, and they received just punishment for their illegal acts. The old man with the shotgun needs to be congratulated for his bravery in facing 4 armed robbers with just his pump shotgun. He kicked some major ass and proved once again that an armed citizenry is a safe citizenry. If New York has a law that says guns must be registered, then they need to repeal that dumbassed law. Thugs don't use registered guns. Texas doesn't have that law, and we have one of the lowest crime rates per capita in the states.

He's innocent until proven guilty. And it looks at present like no charges are being brought.

I'd prefer to see the gun registered, but if a gun is unregistered I'd prefer to see it in the hands of someone like the store owner rather than the guys who tried to rob him.

For me, this only becomes a problem when the wrong guy gets shot. In this case the wrong guy wasn't but, if charges are brought, then unfortunately he is probably going to be found guilty.

If this happens, I hope the judge convicts him of a misdemeanor and fines him $1.

I feel potentially sorry for the families of the victims, but punishing the old guy would be, in my view, un-American. Then again, I'm not American so what do I know.

Well, if he broke the law he should face some sort of punishment. While I may disagree with the law, people just can't decide for themselves which laws they are going to follow and which they are not. Just doesn't work that way. I disagree with income taxes, but I'm still going to pay them. If I didn't, I wouldn't get a pass just because I don't like them.

In this specific case, if indeed he did violate the law (remember, we're dealing with one line factoid in an MSNBC story), I'm pretty sure that it would just be a misdemeanor. In which case he would probably have to pay a minimal fine and go on with his life.

As a side note, it's interesting the MSNBC story didn't tell us if the hoodlum's handguns were registered.... I guess they leave that for us to assume they weren't.

And the old man's shotgun was bought decades ago, before registration was a requirement. And it's a shotgun, not a handgun.

As a side note, it's interesting the MSNBC story didn't tell us if the hoodlum's handguns were registered.... I guess they leave that for us to assume they weren't.

And the old man's shotgun was bought decades ago, before registration was a requirement. And it's a shotgun, not a handgun.

Yeah, I notice that the story said he didn't have a permit for it. Not sure if that is the same thing as unregistered.

And I also am not sure he broke the law (which is why I put the disclaimer in my previous post). If he bought it decades ago isn't there some sort of antique clause, or grandfather clause in some of these laws?

Don't live in NY myself, and don't really care enough to research it for myself, but I'm not quite ready to believe the journalist just yet.

Yeah, I notice that the story said he didn't have a permit for it. Not sure if that is the same thing as unregistered.

And I also am not sure he broke the law (which is why I put the disclaimer in my previous post). If he bought it decades ago isn't there some sort of antique clause, or grandfather clause in some of these laws?

Don't live in NY myself, and don't really care enough to research it for myself, but I'm not quite ready to believe the journalist just yet.
Well, where I live you don't have to register or get a permit for a shotgun or a rifle. Just handguns and assault weapons.

But I guess it didn't suit MSNBC's agenda for them to tell us if the perp's pistols were registered.

Forum List

Back