Another victim of truth

Soaring

May 30, 2009
How about it was none of his business. If you wish to be a couch potato, so what. If you want to eat a 4000 calorie hamburger, so what. It's called freedom. I get upset if my money is used for someone elses health care, so it comes back to personal responsibility.

Doctor gets dunked over anti-doughnut campaign
Dr. Jason Newsom railed against burgers, French fries, fried chicken and sweet tea in his campaign to promote better eating in a part of the country known as the Redneck Riviera. He might still be leading the charge if he had only left the doughnuts alone.

By MELISSA NELSON

The Associated Press

ROBERT COOPER / AP

Dr. Jason Newsom was forced to resign after an anti-obesity campaign angered business owners.

PENSACOLA, Fla. — Dr. Jason Newsom railed against burgers, French fries, fried chicken and sweet tea in his campaign to promote better eating in a part of the country known as the Redneck Riviera. He might still be leading the charge if he had only left the doughnuts alone.
Newsom, 38, a former Army doctor who served in Iraq, returned home to Panama City a few years ago to run the Bay County Health Department and started a one-man war on obesity by posting sardonic warnings on an electronic sign outside:
"Sweet Tea
Liquid Sugar."
"Hamburger
Spare Tire."
"French Fries
Thunder Thighs."
He also called out KFC by name to make people think twice about fried chicken.
Then he parodied "America Runs on Dunkin'," the doughnut chain's slogan, with: "America Dies on Dunkin'."
Some power players in the Gulf Coast tourist town decided they had had their fill.
A county commissioner who owns a doughnut shop and two lawyers who own a new Dunkin' Donuts on Panama City Beach turned against him, along with some of his own employees, Newsom said. After the lawyers threatened to sue, his bosses at the Florida Health Department made him remove the anti-fried-dough rants and eventually forced him to resign, he said.

"I picked on doughnuts because those things are ubiquitous in this county. Everywhere I went, there were two dozen doughnuts on the back table. At church, there were always doughnuts on the back table at Sunday school. It is social-expectation thing," said Newsom, a lean 6-foot, 167-pounder in a county where 39 percent of all adults were overweight in 2007 and one in four was obese.

Newsom's $140,000-a-year salary was paid jointly by the state and the county. His job primarily involved educating the public about health issues — swine flu, AIDS and the like — but he also decided to address the dangers of overeating.
He angered employees by barring doughnuts from department meetings and announcing he would throw the fat-laden sweets away if he saw them in the break room. He also banned candy bars in the vending machines, putting in peanuts instead.
In May, lawyers Bo Rivard and Michael Duncan, co-owners of a new Dunkin' Donuts, asked Newsom to take down the "America Dies on Dunkin"' message. Newsom already had run other anti-doughnut warnings, including "Doughnuts Diabetes," and "Dunkin' Donuts Death."
The businessmen had the backing of County Commissioner Mike Thomas, who owns a diner and a doughnut shop. Thomas called for Newsom's ouster, saying the doctor shouldn't have named businesses on the message board.
"I think he was somewhat of a zealot," Thomas said. "I don't have a problem with him pushing an agenda, it's the way he did it. People borrowed money to go into business and they are being attacked by the government."
A short time after Newsom's meeting with Rivard and Duncan, Newsom said, his bosses at the state Health Department told him his leadership wasn't wanted and he could be fired or resign. He chose to resign May 8 but has reapplied for the job.
"I have never been known for my subtlety. I don't have a knack for it. I speak the truth to people and just assume that my data and purpose are so real and true that everyone will see the value of what I'm doing," said Newsom, now working at a prison, doing exams.
Rivard and Duncan did not return numerous calls.
"Dunkin' Donuts is pleased that the signs have been removed," Andrew Mastrangelo, a spokesman for Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in an e-mail.
The Florida Health Department has refused to talk about Newsom since he is considered a job applicant.
Newsom is hoping to get his job back so he can resume his campaign against overeating.
"My method was a little provocative ... but there wasn't a person in Bay County who wasn't talking about health and healthy eating," he said.
Copyright © The Seattle Times Company

Last edited:
That dickweed best watch is ass, lest the prosoners he's currently (probably) mau-mauing could have grounds for a "cruel and unusual" lawsuit. :lol:

Actually, he better watch his ass because the cops are not going to appreciate him knocking their favorite cuisine. :)

Immie

Any minute now a right winger is going to come in and make a complete fool of themselves by dissing the doc. The same right winger will then wander off in to a health care thread and start banging on about how people shouldn't get health care because of their shitty diet!

It's called being "flexible".

Okay, who's going to go first?

:lol:

That dickweed best watch is ass, lest the prosoners he's currently (probably) mau-mauing could have grounds for a "cruel and unusual" lawsuit. :lol:

Actually, he better watch his ass because the cops are not going to appreciate him knocking their favorite cuisine. :)

Immie

In SoCal it's sushi Immie :D

Maybe so, but not in the "Redneck Riviera" :D

Sushi? Yuck!! Do you know what that shit is made out of?

Immie

Immie

Immie

ESPECIALY in the Redneck Riviera!!

That thar is poiled peanut and fried catfish territory.

An' I guaran-danmed-tee ya that y'all don't wanna get between no Dixie dweller an' their hush puppies an' grits smothered in sausage gravy!!

YUUUUMMMYUUUMMMM!!!

Immie

ESPECIALY in the Redneck Riviera!!

That thar is poiled peanut and fried catfish territory.

An' I guaran-danmed-tee ya that y'all don't wanna get between no Dixie dweller an' their hush puppies an' grits smothered in sausage gravy!!

YUUUUMMMYUUUMMMM!!!

Sushi? That's raw fish. We call that bait where I come from!

Boiled peanuts really suck. They get all mushy and are just no fun. Fried catfish? Different story. Bring it on!!!

Hush puppies? Wonderful stuff. Should be it's own food group. I do love my grits but I like them with "red eye gravy. Sausage gravy is for biscuits.

Had to toss that out because you guys give us Southerners a bad rap when you don't spred our famous foods out correctly upon the table!:eusa_whistle:

My brother made sushi once and made me try it. I was nice and said ok. It was wonderful. Sushi is vinegar rice, usually topped with other ingredients (such as raw fish) but it doesn't have to contain fish. I was shocked that I liked it, believe me. Just . . . . you never know about things.

Having said that, this same brother (a self professed 'body nazi') went years eating mostly chicken and lots and lots of fish, including lots of canned tuna, as his main sources of protein. He is in year 3 of trying to recover from mercury poisoning. He lost his job due to missing so much work and is currently unemployed and still not fully recovered. Watch how much fish you consume.

As to the OP -- he has every right to protest whatever foods he wants. It's his right.

Last edited:
Who said boiled peanuts?

We don't have much entertainment down here. Sometimes we just sit on the front porch, eat boiled peanuts and fart.

You would think that the self-proclaimed party of "personal responsibility" would be first in line to support healthier diets as a form of preventative healthcare.

Instead, give them more hot dogs, stuff 'em with turkey filling, ram those burgers down our throats...yes, we love colon cancer...its our American Right Goddammit!

You would think that the self-proclaimed party of "personal responsibility" would be first in line to support healthier diets as a form of preventative healthcare.

Instead, give them more hot dogs, stuff 'em with turkey filling, ram those burgers down our throats...yes, we love colon cancer...its our American Right Goddammit!

But, isn't personal responsibility just that...personal responsiblity, not government responsibility. Sounds like you want the government to take away more of our liberties than it already has.
Do you believe in "cradle to the grave?"

easy, Stalin, easy.

But, isn't personal responsibility just that...personal responsiblity, not government responsibility. Sounds like you want the government to take away more of our liberties than it already has.
Do you believe in "cradle to the grave?"

Nah, some big whiny fucker who's been sucking down cheeseburgers all his life who then has to have treatment for diet-related illnesses is absolutely going to insist on being given the same deal as an ascetic who's been living on mung bean sprouts for most of his life :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back