Here’s how you get a college degree without forcing other people to pay for it….

Problem solved ... as long as the market agrees that the job is worth $15.

The only factor that can fairly determine prices or wages is the market.

In 2008 the markets decided that the market was worth 6500. We freaked and pumped and pumped and pumped and pumped.

When do we quit subsidizing the market?

Of course it does. When a job has so little value that customers can and do the work themselves, you have a job that is worth next to nothing.
If your job is worth nothing, why doesn’t the business owner flip burgers, sweep floors and wait on customers?

In 2008 the markets decided that the market was worth 6500. We freaked and pumped and pumped and pumped and pumped.

When do we quit subsidizing the market?

Market indexes are the weighted average price of a number of selected stocks (called a basket of stocks) at any given moment.

The only thing that determines the prices of the individual stocks is what someone is willing to pay (and what someone else is willing to sell) for those particular stocks.

If your job is worth nothing, why doesn’t the business owner flip burgers, sweep floors and wait on customers?
Because the business owner has skills that aren’t worth his time to sweep floors. I was charging - and getting - a high hourly fee for my consulting work on behalf of clients. It made more sense for me to hire a teenager to do collating and xeroxing for $10 an hour and I could devote my hours to higher-paying work that required years of skill the $10/hr kid didn’t have.

First, recognize that less than half of high school graduates are actually college-material, and instead enroll in a vocational trade program. If your family is lower-income, you’ll get Pell Grants.

Now, for the 40% or so who DO have the intelligence and discipline to make it through four years, here’s how you do it:

1) Attend community college for the first two years: $10,000 for both years.

2) Get a B average, and an academic transfer scholarship to your state university for the last two years. With the reduced tuition of the scholarship, tuition will be around $15,000 for both years.

Total tuition for all four years of college: $25,000 (or less than a car loan)

3) Work summers, earning around $5000 per summer, or $4500 after taxes. Apply the $18,000 to the tuition, and you only have $7000 to borrow.

4) Say what? You want to live on campus the last two years, and that will cost another $20,000? Then get a job between sophomore and junior year, full-time, and earn the money. You can transfer a year later and pay for room and board.

So what’s wrong with this plan? It’s a way to graduate from college with a debt of a few thousand dollars, if that, and not expect the working class to pat for it.

I love how you've got it all figured out. A mere $25,000 for a college education. You numbers are so ridiculous as to be laughable. White privilege at its finest. I continue to say that whatever money you spent on your so-called "education" was a complete waste. You don't any critical thinking skills at all.

Yes, you can earn $4500 in the summer, and assuming you have no costs for food, clothing, shelter or transportation in earning that $4500, you can put every dime you make towards tuition and maybe your plan might work. You also assume the student has no expenses for food, shelter, clothing, transportation, health care, books, during their time in school. All the money they earn can go to tuition.

As for working the year between sophomore and junior year, once again, you assume that student gets to keep every dollar they earn to pay for college expenses. A low wage job pays about $20,000 per year US. Take off 15% withholding, and that leaves you with $17,000. Take out basic living expenses and there won't be much left over.

Market indexes are the weighted average price of a number of selected stocks (called a basket of stocks) at any given moment.

The only thing that determines the prices of the individual stocks is what someone is willing to pay (and what someone else is willing to sell) for those particular stocks.

Avoid the point all you want. What else should we discuss that avoids the trillions pumped to help the markets?

First, recognize that less than half of high school graduates are actually college-material, and instead enroll in a vocational trade program. If your family is lower-income, you’ll get Pell Grants.

Now, for the 40% or so who DO have the intelligence and discipline to make it through four years, here’s how you do it:

1) Attend community college for the first two years: $10,000 for both years.

2) Get a B average, and an academic transfer scholarship to your state university for the last two years. With the reduced tuition of the scholarship, tuition will be around $15,000 for both years.

Total tuition for all four years of college: $25,000 (or less than a car loan)

3) Work summers, earning around $5000 per summer, or $4500 after taxes. Apply the $18,000 to the tuition, and you only have $7000 to borrow.

4) Say what? You want to live on campus the last two years, and that will cost another $20,000? Then get a job between sophomore and junior year, full-time, and earn the money. You can transfer a year later and pay for room and board.

So what’s wrong with this plan? It’s a way to graduate from college with a debt of a few thousand dollars, if that, and not expect the working class to pat for it.
The room and board stuff is crazy high these days.

I doubt that on-campus dorms aren't cashing in. There's a whole new subset of college housing now.

I remember real dorms. With a dorm mother and all. Just on the one side of the quad. You can see your neighbors out the big back window.

Avoid the point all you want. What else should we discuss that avoids the trillions pumped to help the markets?
The Fed is not allowed, by law, to buy stocks. They can buy government securities in an open market.

The only way to pump money in to a stock market is by investment, private or commercial.

There are private companies wholly-owned by the US government, but they do not trade shares on stock exchanges.

Because the business owner has skills that aren’t worth his time to sweep floors. I was charging - and getting - a high hourly fee for my consulting work on behalf of clients. It made more sense for me to hire a teenager to do collating and xeroxing for $10 an hour and I could devote my hours to higher-paying work that required years of skill the $10/hr kid didn’t have.
Absolutely

Those low skilled jobs still make money for the business owner

Imagine you want buy a new car. The dealer quotes you a price of $60K.

But, you feel the American auto worker doesn't get a fair shake from the car manufacturers. So, you tell the dealer, you won't pay less than $100K for the car.

I didn't say they could but you know that.

There is only one way to "pump money" into a stock market. That is by purchasing stocks.

The US Government isn't allowed to purchase stocks.

The Fed doesn't create liquidity in the market, they can expand (or contract) the money supply by purchasing government securities on the open market and then depositing those funds to commercial banks.

Those banks increase the money supply in circulation by making loans to consumers and business.

This isn't done to increase market indexes. It is an anti-inflationary tactic. Precisely what the Fed was created to do in 1913.

Forum List

Back