Here’s how you get a college degree without forcing other people to pay for it….

I know the difference….then point remains. About half the people are not college-material, which explains why - of those who DO attempt college - 40% don’t finish. (And that doesn’t include all the mediocre high school students who don’t attempt it in the first place.)

People do not finish for a lot of reasons, not all due to a lack of intelligence.

I dropped out after 3 semesters when I went straight out of high school. I now have a Masters and multiple certifications. I was not ready when I went, but I was more than smart enough to do well had I chosen to actually apply myself.

I agree with the push to send everyone to college has made the problem much worse, but there has always been the low amount that actually graduate.

At my freshman orientation at UF in 1982 they told us to look left and look right and in a year those two people would be gone.
One more reason not to guarantee loans to college students

Maybe we should make people actually pay for their first 2 years of college before they get any loans

You obviously don't since you said the average IQ was 100 and that meant half of the people have an IQ lower than 100.

And it's more like 47% that don't graduate.
I knew the difference when I typed it…..the point is about the same.

Also, I’ve heard 42% who don’t graduate, but whatever….it shows that average students who shouldn’t have gone to college in the first place struggled for a year or two before dropping out, and incurring debt for nothing.

Why do we have to pay off the debt of Charlie Average who majored in sociology, couldn’t get through the required math and science classes, and dropped out?

I knew the difference when I typed it…..the point is about the same.

Also, I’ve heard 42% who don’t graduate, but whatever….it shows that average students who shouldn’t have gone to college in the first place struggled for a year or two before dropping out, and incurring debt for nothing.

Why do we have to pay off the debt of Charlie Average who majored in sociology, couldn’t get through the required math and science classes, and dropped out?
Words mean things.

And I don't support college debt forgiveness

One more reason not to guarantee loans to college students

Maybe we should make people actually pay for their first 2 years of college before they get any loans
I’ve said In another thread that we should require a “work year” between high school and college. The income from that would cover, or come close to covering, the tuition for their first two years.

Then, as you say, they can borrow for their last two years. College debt would be cut in half.

how to get an education without owing for it

1....dont be lazy
2....have enough sense to get in out of the rain

Thats literally it. do those 2 things and you go this!!!

First, recognize that less than half of high school graduates are actually college-material, and instead enroll in a vocational trade program. If your family is lower-income, you’ll get Pell Grants.

Now, for the 40% or so who DO have the intelligence and discipline to make it through four years, here’s how you do it:

1) Attend community college for the first two years: $10,000 for both years.

2) Get a B average, and an academic transfer scholarship to your state university for the last two years. With the reduced tuition of the scholarship, tuition will be around $15,000 for both years.

Total tuition for all four years of college: $25,000 (or less than a car loan)

3) Work summers, earning around $5000 per summer, or $4500 after taxes. Apply the $18,000 to the tuition, and you only have $7000 to borrow.

4) Say what? You want to live on campus the last two years, and that will cost another $20,000? Then get a job between sophomore and junior year, full-time, and earn the money. You can transfer a year later and pay for room and board.

So what’s wrong with this plan? It’s a way to graduate from college with a debt of a few thousand dollars, if that, and not expect the working class to pat for it.
You serve your country for three or 4 years instead of waiting for biden to buy your vote starting with the military growing up with some reasonability. Depending on your MOS you might have already chose your path. If not you have a bunch of cash for your collage. If you do owe from your education you are reasonable and not a dead beat who lives in your mom and Dad's laundry room and the debt will be paid. But it seems everyone is a dead beat loser just like a democRat. Now I know what you are thinking ' What a dumb ass going in the military to get a good chunk of cash for an education when I get it free'. Again it's about LEARNING RESPONABILTY and that helps you out all through life and you will die not knowing

You serve your country for three or 4 years instead of waiting for biden to buy your vote starting with the military growing up with some reasonability. Depending on your MOS you might have already chose your path. If not you have a bunch of cash for your collage. If you do owe from your education you are reasonable and not a dead beat who lives in your mom and Dad's laundry room and the debt will be paid. But it seems everyone is a dead beat loser just like a democRat. Now I know what you are thinking ' What a dumb ass going in the military to get a good chunk of cash for an education when I get it free'. Again it's about LEARNING RESPONABILTY and that helps you out all through life and you will die not knowing
Why would you think I would think someone is a dumbass for going into the military and getting the money for college that way? It’s admirable.

Scanning a bag of bread over a metal scanning and putting it in a bag isn’t worth $15. it requires so little training and knowledge that customers can and do it themselves via the self-serve aisle.

Problem solved ... as long as the market agrees that the job is worth $15.

The only factor that can fairly determine prices or wages is the market.

If you can’t stay in business without a $7.25 workforce, you don’t belong in business

Scanning a bag of bread over a metal scanning and putting it in a bag isn’t worth $15. it requires so little training and knowledge that customers can and do it themselves via the self-serve aisle.

Many businesses have gone self serve
Has nothing to do with a $15 wage

Gas stations did it when the min wage was $2.45

If you can’t stay in business without a $7.25 workforce, you don’t belong in business

If you pay more that $7.25 when you can get someone else with the same ability to do the same job for $7.25 or less, you don't belong in business.

No worker has the right to demand more, no employer has the right to force anyone to accept less.

Only when they can both agree that compensation is fair and equitable, it is.

Many businesses have gone self serve
Has nothing to do with a $15 wage

Gas stations did it when the min wage was $2.45
Of course it does. When a job has so little value that customers can and do the work themselves, you have a job that is worth next to nothing.

Forum List

Back