Here We Go Again: Cop Kills "Prego" Black Woman in Texas

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Meathead, May 15, 2019.

1. Meathead

Meathead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,843
    Cop Hispanic.
    Woman said she was pregnant, took his taser and tased him.
    They say she was nuts and not knocked up.

So, burn Baytown down or not?

Dramatic scuffle ends with police officer fatally shooting 'pregnant' woman

The confrontation unfolded in Baytown, Texas, on Monday evening (local time) when an officer tried to arrest Pamela Turner, 44, over outstanding warrants.

Graphic video showed the officer struggling with the woman who could be heard yelling, “I’m pregnant”.

In the video, which is circulating on social media, Turner could be heard saying "You're actually harassing me" and "I'm actually walking to my house" before falling to the ground.

[​IMG]
    Pamela Turner, 44, was shot during a struggle with a police officer who was trying to arrest her over outstanding warrants. (Baytown Police Department)
    While on her back, she appeared to struggle with the officer, saying, "Why? Why?", and then "I'm pregnant".

Turner then appeared to reach up towards the officer and, moments later, he fired five shots, killing her.

Police claimed the woman snatched the officer’s taser, which he had earlier used on her, and shot it towards his groin during the scuffle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. miketx

miketx Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71,930
    Dindu nuffin got her ass shot. Good riddance.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tycho1572

tycho1572 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,665
    I once responded to a combative patient code in the ER where a black woman started yelling she was pregnant as we took her down. We later learned she was just fat.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 5
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. emilynghiem

emilynghiem Constitutionalist / Universalist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,893
    Dear Meathead
    I met a worker with the local mental health system whose supervisor
    is trained to go out on calls when police encounter such people.

The procedure they have found works and saves lives is for a trained
    intervener to approach the person and make sure they are safe.
    If necessary the medical professional can tranquilize them to
    get them out of danger of hurting themselves or others.

This has saved more lives, since the tragic shooting death of
    Sheryl Seymour launched reforms in how police deal with mental episodes.

The police have come a long way, though sadly we will see the same problems
    keep happening until there is enough training and assistance in all districts
    to address mental and criminal illness before any threat of danger escalates to deadly crisis.

=================================================
    One in three police shootings involve unarmed people

Mentally ill present police toughest choices
    Some of the toughest choices arise when officers encounter the mentally ill, some of whom wield weapons and are determined to attempt "suicide by cop."

In seven of 10 cases involving police shooting the mentally ill, officers were summoned by someone concerned about a person's mental health or because that person was causing a disturbance. One was killed just days after he had been picked up on a mental health warrant and released because he did not qualify for hospital admission.

Learning how to better deal with the mentally ill became a focus at HPD after the controversial 1999 shooting of Sheryl Ann Seymour, a schizophrenic who called an ambulance for help when she sensed the onset of a psychotic episode.

Officers killed the 5-foot Seymour when she approached them with a knife.

Since then, HPD has trained a quarter of the force to join its Crisis Intervention Team -- an effort that exceeds those of other departments -- though team members are not deployed as often as needed in part because of staff constraints, according to HPD records.

Few other departments have provided training or tracked incidents involving the mentally ill. Only two of the six Harris County constable offices -- Precincts 1 and 5 -- have sent officers to the training. Tomball has sent only one officer.

"Training can make all the difference in these situations," said officer Frank Webb of the Crisis Intervention Team. "You have to teach officers who are used to being authoritative and using force that they have to look at these people differently."

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. depotoo

depotoo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,629
    Following the incident, the police department learned Turner was not pregnant, but declined to elaborate on how it had found out.

From the article

6. tycho1572

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,665
    I read another news report that said friends and family stated she wasn’t pregnant.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tycho1572

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,665
    After years of helping security with combative people, I can honestly say black women are the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,019
    When they do the autopsy on the woman, they would know if she was pregnant or not.

But, to the main part of this.....................the woman had warrants, and the police officer was trying to do his job by taking her in.

The woman struggled with the police officer, shouted she was pregnant (probably to garner sympathy), grabbed his taser and shot him with it. You can see the spark on the video.

The police officer then drew his gun and put 5 rounds in her.

Now, about the only problem I have with this shooting is how many shots the officer fired at her. Why? Because I served on the Security Force in Newport RI while I was in the Navy, and we were taught ammo control. If the Gunny saw you fire more rounds at the target than what was required, you got your ass chewed. And, the most we fired at a single station while on the range, going from position to position (kneeling, standing, behind a wall, through a window, etc), was 3 rounds. Most of them required only 1 or 2. If you ran out of ammo before you completed the range, your ass was grass in the Gunny's eyes. I'm wondering why police officers see a need to empty their gun into a suspect. I was taught to shoot 1-3 rounds, assess the threat, and respond with more gunfire if necessary. If not, stop shooting and arrest the person.

Hate to say it, but she brought it all on herself when she tasered the officer with his own taser.

And yeah.....................I'm one of those "loony libs" that you conservatives like to make fun of, but in this case, the shooting was justified.

9. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,257
    FAke news; she wasn't pregnant, and she was a violent asshole. Good riddance. Of course, her family has already found a lawyer so they can get some bling out of it, and the taxpayers will be stung yet again by these pity parties for sleazy cop baiters, the new 'How to be a Millionaire' method.

10. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,182

Lol, pleas, DO burn Baytown down! I heard Al Sharpton was coming. Hope he speaks publicly.