Here Comes the Gun and Speech Legislation

And criminals by definition ignore every law you pass. Or is Murder not illegal? The worst mass killing in US history was carried out with an airplane. Want to outlaw those too?

Not asking me but I will chime in, we need one more gun law ona a national level prohibiting any one who is placed in a mental hospital or care under the Baker Act to not be allowed to posess firearms until his Doctor says he is fit ie mentally stable enough to do so again.
The definition of being forcibly treated under the Baker act is you have to be a threat to yourself and or others for it to happen. So why should you be allowed to posess firearms?

I know for a fact that there is no national nor state law in many states prohibing the mentally unstable form posessing guns.

outside of that I think we have gun laws pretty well covered.

If you've ever been adjudicated mentally defective, or been committed to a mental institution, you will not pass a background check.

Ahh but you are allowed to keep any weapons you already have. And it is a state level thing on the mental issues.

It is not a "State level thing." The background check does not involve the State, only the FBI.

If you're adjudicated, you are not allowed to keep any weapons. Theoretically, you could commit a felony by lying to the court (assuming you had firearms you had bought in private, untraceable transactions), but if you're whacked enough to be sent away, you're probably not going to pull that one off either.

Best of luck with both of those.

Doesn't matter what law you pass, if no one pays it any attention.

Those who don't pay attention are criminals, are they not?

The point being it is already ILLEGAL to buy weapons in every case where insanity prevails. Of course one MUST first prove someone has a mental problem. The requirement being one be adjudged mental by a Judge or other appropriate Official.

What do you guys propose? That Politicians get to judge their opponents incompetent simply because they are their opponents?

The point being it is already ILLEGAL to buy weapons in every case where insanity prevails. Of course one MUST first prove someone has a mental problem. The requirement being one be adjudged mental by a Judge or other appropriate Official.

What do you guys propose? That Politicians get to judge their opponents incompetent simply because they are their opponents?

It is perfectly legal for personal sales and those judged to be insane are still allowed to keep the weapons they already posess before being judged to be insane.

And criminals by definition ignore every law you pass. Or is Murder not illegal? The worst mass killing in US history was carried out with an airplane. Want to outlaw those too?

No, we just want to keep airplanes and guns out of the hands of crazy people.

And in the case of airplanes, we have done a pretty good job.

Guns not so much.

Just because one person misuses his brain, the rest of us our banned from using ours?

One?

Ok, change it to 1%. How does that change a thing? Sorry, a small minority can't handle the responsibilities of freedom of speech. That means the rest of us go without?

I infered from your post the one was the shooter. My response was predicated on that assumption and by "One?" I was trying to state there have been more, many more, mass killings by mentally unstable persons with a firearm.
I'm not suggesting all Americans be deprived of owning, possessing and having in their custody and control a firearm. I do believe the regulations need to be tightened to reduce the liklihood of mass murder such as yesterdays, Virginia Tech, Texas Tower, McDonalds in San Diego and too many others.

It is perfectly legal for personal sales and those judged to be insane are still allowed to keep the weapons they already posess before being judged to be insane.

Even if you type it 1000 times, it still won't be true.

Here's why a local background check could have helped....

In a statement issued Saturday night, Pima Community College said Loughner was suspended after a series of run-ins with campus police between February and September, capped by the discovery of a YouTube video in which he accused the college of operating unconstitutionally. Loughner quit school after the suspension, the college said -- and it warned him that to return, he had to present a doctor's note stating that his presence would not be "a danger to himself or others."

Massacre suspect "mentally disturbed," former teacher says - CNN.com

The left will be tripping all over themselves starting first light on who will yell the loudest about banning guns,restricting internet content,limiting violence in video games,how much sugar and alcohol people should be allowed to consume,what type of videos we should be allowed to watch.....on and on and on....

Hold onto your seats boys and girls big government will do its best to make sure it has control over us all.

No they do not. Once adjudged incompetent by legal authority any weapon you own must be transferred or surrendered. And LEGALLY you may not buy anymore even privately.

Those cases are COVERED by the law. The only way, once adjudged incompetent , to get your right to own back is to petition the Treasury Secretary and for him to approve it.

Learn the law.

I'm fairly certain that in at least some jurisdictions, if you have concerns about a person and his guns, you can tell the police, who will look into them. If they share your concerns, the guns will be removed until the person is better.

Something like this has happened here, mostly to elderly people with dementia.

Of the top, I'd propose a national data base which includes every person convicted of any felony, crime of violence, terrortist theat, battery or assault, illegal possesson of a firearem or concealed weapon, DUI, the possesson for sale, sale or transportaton of drugs; every person detained on a civil committment wherein a medical professional found the person to be a danger to themselves or others; anyone where a court has issued a restraining order or stay away order to be identifed and prohibited from purchasing a firearm, or owning, having in their possesson, custody or control; and, making a manditory prison sentence for a violation of this law.

Here's why a local background check could have helped....

In a statement issued Saturday night, Pima Community College said Loughner was suspended after a series of run-ins with campus police between February and September, capped by the discovery of a YouTube video in which he accused the college of operating unconstitutionally. Loughner quit school after the suspension, the college said -- and it warned him that to return, he had to present a doctor's note stating that his presence would not be "a danger to himself or others."

Massacre suspect "mentally disturbed," former teacher says - CNN.com

I don't know that being suspended from community college would show up on a background check.

Of the top, I'd propose a national data base which includes every person convicted of any felony, crime of violence, terrortist theat, battery or assault, illegal possesson of a firearem or concealed weapon, DUI, the possesson for sale, sale or transportaton of drugs; every person detained on a civil committment wherein a medical professional found the person to be a danger to themselves or others; anyone where a court has issued a restraining order or stay away order to be identifed and prohibited from purchasing a firearm, or owning, having in their possesson, custody or control; and, making a manditory prison sentence for a violation of this law.

You're talking "perfect world," right?

:)

(they won't get it)

You're talking "perfect world," right?

:)

(they won't get it)

Correct. The current policy of the NRA is, if I'm not mistaken, to oppose any and all efforts on gun control. The NRA is a powerful political organization with lots of money and the ability to use an unlimited abount of their fiscal resources thanks to Citizens United v. FEC.

The sheriff said the suspect had previous contact with law enforcement in which he made violent threats, but he declined to provide further details. Court records indicate Loughner had been arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia in 2007, but the charges were dismissed.

Doctors: Wounded Arizona congresswoman able to communicate - CNN.com

Local background checks might have kept this guy from being able to buy a gun.

What do you suggest needs to be done (if anything) to keep guns out of the hands of those intent in using guns to harm innocents? Keep the image of the nine year old daughter, sister and grandchild killed in this latest horrific slaughter when (if) you reply.

Not asking me but I will chime in, we need one more gun law ona a national level prohibiting any one who is placed in a mental hospital or care under the Baker Act to not be allowed to posess firearms until his Doctor says he is fit ie mentally stable enough to do so again.
The definition of being forcibly treated under the Baker act is you have to be a threat to yourself and or others for it to happen. So why should you be allowed to posess firearms?

I know for a fact that there is no national nor state law in many states prohibing the mentally unstable form posessing guns.

outside of that I think we have gun laws pretty well covered.

If you've ever been adjudicated mentally defective, or been committed to a mental institution, you will not pass a background check.

Oh, combat veterans PTSD, .........lock & load MFers!!!

The sheriff said the suspect had previous contact with law enforcement in which he made violent threats, but he declined to provide further details. Court records indicate Loughner had been arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia in 2007, but the charges were dismissed.

Doctors: Wounded Arizona congresswoman able to communicate - CNN.com

Local background checks might have kept this guy from being able to buy a gun.

Show em the link to the study Chris. :lol:

A 3rd year med student found a 2.94% decrease for a cost of billions of dollars. :rolleyes:

Yep, I keep telling you people there are no exceptions to "Shall not be infringed." If you continue to allow this BS instead of repealing all gun laws, you are going to lose your guns. We need representatives sent to congress who are send repeal gun legislation through daily, attached to riders, etc. Do not let congress have a days rest until the deed is done.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back