Here Comes the Gun and Speech Legislation

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
This was, of course, predictable. Never waste a tragedy.

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

McCarthy ran for Congress after her husband was gunned down and her son seriously injured in a shooting in 1993 on a Long Island commuter train.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Politico

I'll reserve judgment until I see what she introduces, but I think any type of gun legislation passing the Republican controlled House is unlikely, even after this.

Personally, I'm more alarmed by Bob Brady's intended legislation.

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

Such a law is just flat out unconstitutional and opens the door to an unimaginable amount of abuse by the government concerning the political speech of the American people. Again, I sincerely doubt such a law will be able to pass the House.

We are just encouraged not to use our brains, we are told how to act.

We is good little programmed minions.

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday.

McCarthy ran for Congress after her husband was gunned down and her son seriously injured in a shooting in 1993 on a Long Island commuter train.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Politico

I'll reserve judgment until I see what she introduces, but I think any type of gun legislation passing the Republican controlled House is unlikely, even after this.

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

Such a law is just flat out unconstitutional and opens the door to an unimaginable amount of abuse by the government concerning the political speech of the American people. Again, I sincerely doubt such a law will be able to pass the House.

What do you suggest needs to be done (if anything) to keep guns out of the hands of those intent in using guns to harm innocents? Keep the image of the nine year old daughter, sister and grandchild killed in this latest horrific slaughter when (if) you reply.

Best of luck with both of those.

Doesn't matter what law you pass, if no one pays it any attention.

Politico

What do you suggest needs to be done (if anything) to keep guns out of the hands of those intent in using guns to harm innocents? Keep the image of the nine year old daughter, sister and grandchild killed in this latest horrific slaughter when (if) you reply.

Not asking me but I will chime in, we need one more gun law ona a national level prohibiting any one who is placed in a mental hospital or care under the Baker Act to not be allowed to posess firearms until his Doctor says he is fit ie mentally stable enough to do so again.
The definition of being forcibly treated under the Baker act is you have to be a threat to yourself and or others for it to happen. So why should you be allowed to posess firearms?

I know for a fact that there is no national nor state law in many states prohibing the mentally unstable form posessing guns.

outside of that I think we have gun laws pretty well covered.

Politico

When you figure out how to eliminate weapons from the face of the earth get back to us.

Not asking me but I will chime in, we need one more gun law ona a national level prohibiting any one who is placed in a mental hospital or care under the Baker Act to not be allowed to posess firearms until his Doctor says he is fit ie mentally stable enough to do so again.
The definition of being forcibly treated under the Baker act is you have to be a threat to yourself and or others for it to happen. So why should you be allowed to posess firearms?

I know for a fact that there is no national nor state law in many states prohibing the mentally unstable form posessing guns.

If you've ever been adjudicated mentally defective, or been committed to a mental institution, you will not pass a background check.

Just because one person misuses his brain, the rest of us our banned from using ours?

One?

Ok, change it to 1%. How does that change a thing? Sorry, a small minority can't handle the responsibilities of freedom of speech. That means the rest of us go without?

More like .01 percent. 30 million would be 1 percent, 300 thousand would be .1 percent, we have 30 thousand which is .01 percent.

Local background checks have been shown to be effective at keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys. The sheriff in this case was pleading for stricter gun laws in Arizona in his new conference.

This guy would have shown up in a local background check. He had already had some problems with the local police.

If you've ever been adjudicated mentally defective, or been committed to a mental institution, you will not pass a background check.

Ahh but you are allowed to keep any weapons you already have. And it is a state level thing on the mental issues.

Forum List

Back