Hemp....I don't smoke it. But let's make a thread of it's uses. Inform the uninformed.

AntiParty

Tea is the new Kool-Aid
Mar 12, 2014
What can Hemp be used for in Manufacturing?

This thread will expose the very people who say they DON'T want control but want a FREE MARKET.

^Hemp vs. DuPont was the Wind energy vs Oil energy of it's time. DuPont simply had someone in office, or at least, married in.

The many uses of hemp are really overblown. So many pot advocates speak as though hemp is some godsend of a material that can do virtually anything whatsoever. It is not. I don't imagine that you are going to see many hemp products on the market past some novelties and basics like rope no matter what the law does concerning hemp production.

Legalizing hemp and pot have nothing to do with its uses IMHO - it is simply a matter of the government not having a reason to make it illegal - we don't need a reason to be free only a reason to have those freedoms imposed upon.

Bold edited for grammar

Last edited:
No one smokes hemp.

Unless they want a bad headache. But to the OP's question: The only contact I've had with hemp is a shirt I used to have that was super comfortable. The only problem with it was that it came out of the wash ultra wrinkled. Oh ... I also used to buy some hemp lotion that smelled good (not like pot) and worked pretty well.

The only use I have for hemp is as a wick for lighting my weed.

hemp-wick-large.jpg

No one smokes hemp.
I knew a guy in the '70s who'd sneak onto an old military facility and cut down all he could stuff in his car trunk. He'd dry it out and sell it for $50/pound. The guy that I sold it to said "yeah, I know we can't get high from it. But it's cheap and it's an excuse to get together and party". Plus I suppose if you're drunk enough, you don't give a shit anyway. :lol:

The many uses of hemp are really overblown. So many pot advocates speak as though hemp is some godsend of a material that can do virtually anything whatsoever. It is not. I don't imagine that you are going to see many hemp products on the market past some novelties and basics like rope no matter what the law does concerning hemp production.

Legalizing hemp and pot have nothing to do with its uses IMHO - it is simply a matter of the government not having a reason to make it illegal - we don't need a reason to be free only a reason to have those freedoms imposed upon.

Bold edited for grammar

Got any evidence to support the "overblown" uses of hemp? You can make food, fuel and clothing out of the same plant. It is a plant that does not deplete the soil like cotton. Hemp is less water and pesticide needy than cotton and its fibers are stronger, more absorbent, more durable, and better insulating. Legalizing Hemp could provide an real economic bump to areas, like Tennessee, that could really use it.

What can Hemp be used for in Manufacturing?

This thread will expose the very people who say they DON'T want control but want a FREE MARKET.

The only thing stopping the use of hemp is the huge demand for Marijuana for alleged medical and recreational use. I read somewhere that hemp can be grown that does not contain the ingredient that gives folks that funny feeling. Since it is legal in to grow in a number of states, why hasn't someone started using if for things other than smoking and making brownies?

There are strains with little or no THC...it grows wild, often called "ditch weed".

Why isn't that being grown to make all of those wonderful things if it is legal in many states? Don't get me wrong, I do believe it should be tried, and if the cost of making paper from hemp is competitive with that from trees, it seems to me the environentalist and global warming crowd would be going crazy wanting to save the trees. Maybe eating the brownies is more important.

There are strains with little or no THC...it grows wild, often called "ditch weed".

Why isn't that being grown to make all of those wonderful things if it is legal in many states? Don't get me wrong, I do believe it should be tried, and if the cost of making paper from hemp is competitive with that from trees, it seems to me the environentalist and global warming crowd would be going crazy wanting to save the trees. Maybe eating the brownies is more important.

But marijuana's "sober cousin," hemp, also received protections in the spending bill. Hemp is the same plant species as marijuana -- cannabis sativa -- but it contains little to no THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana associated with the "high" sensation. The farm bill, which President Barack Obama signed into law in February, legalized industrial hemp production in states that permit it.

Eighteen states have legalized industrial hemp production, and more than a dozen others have introduced legislation that would authorize research, set up a regulatory framework or legalize the growing of industrial hemp.

Congress Blocks Feds From Targeting Medical Marijuana, Hemp Cultivation

From Wiki:

Hemp is not legal to grow in the U.S. under Federal law because of its relation to marijuana, and any imported hemp products must meet a zero tolerance level. It is considered a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act (P.L. 91-513; 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.). Some states have made the cultivation of industrial hemp legal, but farmers in North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Oregon, California, Montana, West Virginia and Vermont have not yet begun to grow it because of resistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration. In 2013, after the legalization of marijuana in the state, several farmers in Colorado planted and harvested several acres of hemp, bringing in the first hemp crop in the United States in over half a century.[84] Colorado,[85] Vermont, California, and North Dakota have passed laws enabling hemp licensure. All four states are waiting for permission to grow hemp from the DEA. Currently,[86] North Dakota representatives are pursuing legal measures to force DEA approval.[87] Oregon has licensed industrial hemp as of August 2009.[88] In February 2014, Congress passed an agriculture bill that eased restrictions on cultivation in 10 states.[89]

But marijuana's "sober cousin," hemp, also received protections in the spending bill. Hemp is the same plant species as marijuana -- cannabis sativa -- but it contains little to no THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana associated with the "high" sensation. The farm bill, which President Barack Obama signed into law in February, legalized industrial hemp production in states that permit it.

Eighteen states have legalized industrial hemp production, and more than a dozen others have introduced legislation that would authorize research, set up a regulatory framework or legalize the growing of industrial hemp.

Congress Blocks Feds From Targeting Medical Marijuana, Hemp Cultivation

From Wiki:

Hemp is not legal to grow in the U.S. under Federal law because of its relation to marijuana, and any imported hemp products must meet a zero tolerance level. It is considered a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act (P.L. 91-513; 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.). Some states have made the cultivation of industrial hemp legal, but farmers in North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Oregon, California, Montana, West Virginia and Vermont have not yet begun to grow it because of resistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration. In 2013, after the legalization of marijuana in the state, several farmers in Colorado planted and harvested several acres of hemp, bringing in the first hemp crop in the United States in over half a century.[84] Colorado,[85] Vermont, California, and North Dakota have passed laws enabling hemp licensure. All four states are waiting for permission to grow hemp from the DEA. Currently,[86] North Dakota representatives are pursuing legal measures to force DEA approval.[87] Oregon has licensed industrial hemp as of August 2009.[88] In February 2014, Congress passed an agriculture bill that eased restrictions on cultivation in 10 states.[89]

The reason some used for not allowing hemp was that the grower could very easily put in a few acres that were high in THC along with the regular hemp. I expect to hear about a boom in hemp production very soon. They need to get the DEA off their butts and give the permission to grow it.

Bold edited for grammar

Got any evidence to support the "overblown" uses of hemp? You can make food, fuel and clothing out of the same plant. It is a plant that does not deplete the soil like cotton. Hemp is less water and pesticide needy than cotton and its fibers are stronger, more absorbent, more durable, and better insulating. Legalizing Hemp could provide an real economic bump to areas, like Tennessee, that could really use it.
The amazing lack of products on the market that use it.

Many here act as though it is some amazing product but zip on over to Holland where nothing is stopping hemp products at all and what do you find?

Almost nothing is made out of hemp.

We are not the only country in the world. Just because it is illegal here does not mean that you would not see production of this wonder material somewhere else. There will be some novelty products and a few useful products out there after the nation comes to its senses BUT hemp is massively overrated by the pot community from my experience.

Forum List

Back