Hello Everyone

Jul 15, 2019
My name is Jon, and I am an anthropology masters student studying online political debate. I hope to use this forum as a possible research site for an ethnography. I am studying the impact of the structure of online forums on political debate. No one will be identified in any of the research, not even self-given pseudo names. Privacy is a crucial concern of mine when engaging in research, so quotes will only be used with the writer's permission. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

My name is Jon, and I am an anthropology masters student studying online political debate. I hope to use this forum as a possible research site for an ethnography. I am studying the impact of the structure of online forums on political debate. No one will be identified in any of the research, not even self-given pseudo names. Privacy is a crucial concern of mine when engaging in research, so quotes will only be used with the writer's permission. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Don't use this site for your description of culture and people and their beliefs or a failing grade awaits you....

Don't use this site for your description of culture and people and their beliefs or a failing grade awaits you....
It's not so much a study of people's beliefs and culture as it is a study of how people present ideas and engage in political debate through online forums and this is one of several sites I am considering. If you have any idea on other forums that would be better or really any kind of website I would appreciate the direction.

Welcome aboard. There might be better forums than this one if political objectivity is what you're looking for in debates. I find this forum tends to have an overall swing to the right.

It's not so much a study of people's beliefs and culture as it is a study of how people present ideas and engage in political debate through online forums and this is one of several sites I am considering. If you have any idea on other forums that would be better or really any kind of website I would appreciate the direction.
Okay but be aware we have fewer guidelines here and because of the fact we are all under cover will tend to exaggerate your study a bit....

th

Go for it. But we need you report posted in this forum somewhere after you're done. Just don't try to get banned prior to that...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Welcome to USMB.

I hope you've had all of your shots.

And I do not give you permission to quote me at all - or for that matter make any references to me whatsoever, including being mentioned in quotes by others. Thank you.

Welcome aboard. There might be better forums than this one if political objectivity is what you're looking for in debates. I find this forum tends to have an overall swing to the right.
WHAT????....How dare you.....:meow::shutupsmiley::th_waiting::yourpointsmile:

Welcome, Jon! I'm sure you'll want to quote my nuggets of wisdom frequently, so you officially have my permission.:04:
Make yourself at home--I hope you'll contribute now and then, not just "study." We could use someone with brains contributing around here. Have a snack.
d915d76381077b0a1bb800a9ec59208e--celebrities-homes-fruit-cups.jpg

You use big words. Welcome!

Welcome to the insane asylum......... Is your primary focus Cultural Anthropology? Like WillHavtawaite said
Is Cultural Anthropology your primary focus of study?

Welcome, Student!

A short summation of your chosen field

upload_2019-7-19_14-33-4.png

Welcome to USMB, JonAnthropologist. Hope that you enjoy the boards.

I can tell you -- that you are hunting a moving target.. I've been on "discussion boards" for a couple decades, and the effort level of communicating is falling like a rock.. Obviously, not only on discussion boards, but on Capitol Hill and the media as well..

It's not JUST the effort level, it's the TOPICS that folks stake their claim to.. Events in a 4 day news cycle that generate HUNDREDS of PAGES on USMB and then vanish for lack of evidence or get refuted.. So when you're in combat about anything from elections to plastic straws, you see a lot of "walking wounded" who won't leave any fight with taking a shot..

Our rules were written in recognition of the fact that you can't judge "flaming", but you can REQUIRE a token amount of topical discussion in every post.. Without that restriction, I wouldn't be here... It's a concession to "the way things are"....

Good luck.. USMB is a representative sample and it's not "the worst" example in the social media world...

I can tell you -- that you are hunting a moving target.. I've been on "discussion boards" for a couple decades, and the effort level of communicating is falling like a rock.. Obviously, not only on discussion boards, but on Capitol Hill and the media as well..

It's not JUST the effort level, it's the TOPICS that folks stake their claim to.. Events in a 4 day news cycle that generate HUNDREDS of PAGES on USMB and then vanish for lack of evidence or get refuted.. So when you're in combat about anything from elections to plastic straws, you see a lot of "walking wounded" who won't leave any fight with taking a shot..

Our rules were written in recognition of the fact that you can't judge "flaming", but you can REQUIRE a token amount of topical discussion in every post.. Without that restriction, I wouldn't be here... It's a concession to "the way things are"....

Good luck.. USMB is a representative sample and it's not "the worst" example in the social media world...

th

Hey!!! Don't scare him off. We,....well at least I, promise to be nice...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Forum List

Back