Heart patient died despite desperate emails as doctors failed to act on test results

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
More socialized medicine. These stories seem awfully familiar.

Heart patient died despite desperate emails as doctors failed to act on test results

A heart patient died after doctors failed to act on test results and his emails asking for medical help were not answered, the Evening Standard has learned.

Harry Chapman, 34, went undiagnosed for eight months and was on a waiting list for an ICD implantable defibrillator when he suffered a cardiac arrest and died in June 2016.

The LSE graduate first showed signs of an irregular heartbeat in August 2015 but he was not referred for treatment until April the following year, an inquest was told.

Coroner Dr Julian Morris criticised doctors at Barts Health NHS Trust for ignoring Mr Chapman’s emails in the months before his death.

If it were an emergency, shouldn't he have been at the ER instead of emailing his doctor? Or are patients in the UK not allowed to show up to the hospital without permission? (That's where this happened.)

If it were an emergency, shouldn't he have been at the ER instead of emailing his doctor? Or are patients in the UK not allowed to show up to the hospital without permission? (That's where this happened.)

A heart patient died after doctors failed to act on test results and his emails asking for medical help were not answered, the Evening Standard has learned.

Harry Chapman, 34, went undiagnosed for eight months and was on a waiting list for an ICD implantable defibrillator when he suffered a cardiac arrest and died in June 2016.

The LSE graduate first showed signs of an irregular heartbeat in August 2015 but he was not referred for treatment until April the following year, an inquest was told.

Coroner Dr Julian Morris criticised doctors at Barts Health NHS Trust for ignoring Mr Chapman’s emails in the months before his death.

I don't understand, if I have a problem I deem an emergency I go to the er, if I don't think it's an emergency I call my doctor and make an appointment. I have emailed my doctor but to make an appointment not to tell him I think I'm having a heart problem, although if I did he would email back and say get to the ER immediately. A prudent person would have gone to the ER unless you can't in England.

I don't understand, if I have a problem I deem an emergency I go to the er, if I don't think it's an emergency I call my doctor and make an appointment. I have emailed my doctor but to make an appointment not to tell him I think I'm having a heart problem, although if I did he would email back and say get to the ER immediately. A prudent person would have gone to the ER unless you can't in England.

But why should people suffer just because they aren't prudent? Maybe they never heard about the "ER". Should we just let them die???

But why should people suffer just because they aren't prudent? Maybe they never heard about the "ER". Should we just let them die???

We are discussing this guy in the article if he was not prudent he did not deserve a degree. Most people that can turn on a computer and send an email and in their 30's never hearing about an Emergency Room. You are being silly here. Who the hell keeps emailing their doctor asking for help?

We are discussing this guy in the article if he was not prudent he did not deserve a degree. Most people that can turn on a computer and send an email and in their 30's never hearing about an Emergency Room. You are being silly here. Who the hell keeps emailing their doctor asking for help?

So you'd just let him die?

His wasn't seen as an emergency. Please read and comprehend.

He was trying to get his doctors to respond to him. He knew something was wrong, but it wasn't life threatening (like a stab wound).

He died of a heart attack in the end.

Harry Chapman, 34, went undiagnosed for eight months......

Forum List

Back