heads up ladies...quit smoking

Interesting article;

CVS Caremark Plans to Stop Tobacco Products Sales - ABC News

CVS, the nation's second-largest drugstore chain, is kicking the habit of selling tobacco products as it continues to shift its focus toward being more of a health care provider.

The company said Wednesday that it will phase out cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco by Oct. 1 in its 7,600 stores nationwide, in a move that will help grow its business that works with doctors, hospitals and others to improve customers' health.

The move is the latest evidence of a big push in the drugstore industry that has been taking place over several years. Major drugstore chains have been adding in-store clinics and expanding their health care offerings. Their pharmacists deliver flu shots and other immunizations, and their clinics now manage chronic illnesses like high blood pressure and diabetes and treat relatively minor problems like sinus infections.

Among other things, they're preparing for increased health care demand. That's in part due to an aging U.S. population that will need more care in future years. It's also the result of the millions of people expected to gain health insurance under the health care overhaul.

Tobacco is responsible for about 480,000 deaths a year in the U.S., according to the Food and Drug Administration, which gained the authority to regulate tobacco products in 2009.

U.S. retail sales of tobacco, which is comprised largely of cigarettes, were about $107.7 billion in 2012, according to market researcher Euromonitor International.

The share of Americans who smoke has fallen dramatically since 1970, from nearly 40 percent to about 18 percent. But the rate has stalled since about 2004, with about 44 million adults in the U.S. smoking cigarettes. It's unclear why it hasn't budged, but some market watchers have cited tobacco company discount coupons on cigarettes and a lack of funding for programs to discourage smoking or to help smokers quit.

over the last few months i have had blood in my urine....i ignored it for a couple of months due to other issues in real life....my mil was at duke very ill and it just didnt seem like the right time to bring this up....but i finally hit the doctor and the whirl wind began

i got into the urologist....i had an appoint on a Thursday for a scope into the bladder and a lower body cat scan....you get to take an huge bottle of laxative for that....the scope showed a tumor.....cancer....now i got the fng and he is young, 36....cat shows up the one tumor.....so the next thing i know i am set for a monday am procedure...to remove the tumor....i go in monday...procedure is a grand success but the damn gen ans...damn near kills me....i start vomiting and the out patient become the overnight guest....i vomited for a week.....they did let me out due to my bitching but when i got home i was still sick.....my bg has sky rocketed....but that is behind me...now ..i hope

LADIES.....15 YEARS OF A PACK A DAY CIGGIES IS ABOUT THE ONLY WAY TO GET BLADDER CANCER....QUIT....ITS NOT PRETTY DRAGGING A BAG FULL OF URINE AROUND WITH YA.....QUIT

Hope you will get better.

Yes, bladder tumor is almost 100% caused by smoking ( plus some aniline dyes, but that is very rare).
It rarely metastasize, but it recurres.

Be strong, strollingbones and get well.

do pass on the story......it appears to be about the only way women get this cancer.....i thought my husband who hates that i smoked would leave my dumbass when he found out the truth of the cause.....that man is a fucking saint.....he accepts that i no longer smoke and is willing to deal with this

i can email her the whole horror story

Actually, smoking is only implicated in half of bladder cancer cases.

Cigarette smoking implicated in half of bladder cancers in women - National Cancer Institute

Current cigarette smokers have a higher risk of bladder cancer than previously reported, and the risk in women is now comparable to that in men, according to a study by scientists from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), part of the National Institutes of Health. The report was published on Aug. 16, 2011, in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

This latest study uses data from over 450,000 participants in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study, a questionnaire-based study that was initiated in 1995, with follow-up through the end of 2006.

While previous studies showed that only 20 to 30 percent of bladder cancer cases in women were caused by smoking, these new data indicate that smoking is responsible for about half of female bladder cancer cases – similar to the proportion found in men in current and previous studies.

Interesting. Urology Board prep and all USMLE Steps prep are stating it is almost 100%.

( But that was before 2011)

Dear people getting all twerky in here: SERIOUSLY?! What I took away from this thread is do not disregard blood in urine. And now you're going to try to ... what. Call bullshit on what Bones experienced? Why.

Sometimes I think there's gotta be a downside to spending too much time on a messageboard. It's like reason takes a header.

Go o urologist TOMORROW.

Go to ER as a matter of fact. Just check which one and which urologists around are considered better and in which hospital they have privileges.

whew i am better....okay to answer a few of the questions.....yes, he wanted to do a 'chemo bomb'...where he would place the chemo in my bladder after removing the tumor...the chemo would remain for an hour or two...then be removed and i would be on my way......the tumor was too close to the duct leading to the kidney....he decided not to chance a chemo leak into the kidney....(i am really not sure about this..i was hazy at best) with the tumor removal he went into the muscle....he wanted to make sure he got it all...the chemo bomb would cut the chances of it coming back 50%

and yea it comes back....highly treatable but re occurring...i wanted the chemo bomb....at this point i have another scope in may....3 to 4 months....so i took 3.5 months...wth....lol....i will have a scope every 3 to 4 months for 2 years....if no problems at the end of the two years....i go to maybe a yearly check up.....

now i go to work...but yea i ignore it for too long with all the other issues going on...most of the things are the net are about how blood in the urine is rarely serious....well fuck me running...that doesnt seem to be at all true

you have to do what your gut tells you .

You did the right thing

If she did what he gut told her she would have known inhaling a 20 pack a day for 15 years was a bad idea. But she didn't. So now she has to hope the clueless doctors can save her with their charletan treatments. Looks like she is ok for now. But she is riding the bullet Eventually it will come back and kill her.

Get well, Strollingbones. It is great you quit smoking. Your body will heal itself as time goes on as you remain smoke-free. There isn't anything more damaging to the organs than smoking and / or drinking. I've seen thirty year olds who look older than I did at 50 because they were heavy drinkers. Our bodies cannot handle all that toxic junk! A glass of red wine isn't an issue but women who drink too much on a regular basis get that puffy, tired look and their skin looks awful. The skin, hair and fingernails is another sure way to tell if something is going wrong internally.

Ask your doctor about Barley Green by AIM Co. It is an organic grass that is loaded with vitamins and is sold by AIM co. in a jar. It heals at the cellular level. I take a teaspoon twice a day dry and drink a glass of water to wash it down. The other thing I'd ask about is using their colonic cleanse. Aim sells the best cleanse on the market - it is called Fiberblend and it will flush your body of toxins, your digestive system - everything - then look at your diet and ask your doctor what foods will enhance your recovery and which should you avoid. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

I think someone would be dead from smoking 20 packs a day. Their bodies could not possibly take that much poison on a daily basis.

thanks for all the good wishes....i finally read my after care instructions...seems a 4 day hospital stay is the average....i am back to 3/4s strength....still find myself running out of steam a little earlier than i like but as someone pointed out........i am not getting any younger and i seem to be fighting that concept more than anything....

you have to do what your gut tells you .

You did the right thing

If she did what he gut told her she would have known inhaling a 20 pack a day for 15 years was a bad idea. But she didn't. So now she has to hope the clueless doctors can save her with their charletan treatments. Looks like she is ok for now. But she is riding the bullet Eventually it will come back and kill her.

Do you have even the vaguest idea of the power of words, Politico? Are you out of your mind? What a thing to speak over someone's life! How would you like it if I spoke those words over your life? You wouldn't!

What Strollingbones needs is positive words, positive thoughts, positive energy around her. If you are not going to speak life over her don't say anything at all. Please!

NOTE* I have scientific research to back me on this one. Look up Dr. Emoto's rice experiment. The rice that had positive words spoken over it flourished! In every single experiment and the experiment was done all over the world repeatedly by ordinary people ( not scientists ) proving the power of positive words. Speak life not death.

thanks for all the good wishes....i finally read my after care instructions...seems a 4 day hospital stay is the average....i am back to 3/4s strength....still find myself running out of steam a little earlier than i like but as someone pointed out........i am not getting any younger and i seem to be fighting that concept more than anything....

3/4 strength is very good! You are going to beat this thing, Strollingbones. You have a youthful spirit and you'll fight with that. Many positive words being spoken over you today. You will ovecome this and help many others in the process. Youre in my thoughts and prayers today. - Jeri

Last edited:
JAMA Network | JAMA | Association Between Smoking and Risk of Bladder Cancer Among Men and Women

I think about 40,000 people a year are dx'ed with bladder cancer.

About half those people never smoked.

Design, Setting, and Participants Men (n = 281 394) and women (n = 186 134) of the National Institutes of Health-AARP (NIH-AARP) Diet and Health Study cohort completed a lifestyle questionnaire and were followed up between October 25, 1995, and December 31, 2006. Previous prospective cohort studies of smoking and incident bladder cancer were identified by systematic review and relative risks were estimated from fixed-effects models with heterogeneity assessed by the I2 statistic.

Main Outcome Measures Hazard ratios (HRs), PARs, and number needed to harm (NNH).

Results During 4 518 941 person-years of follow-up, incident bladder cancer occurred in 3896 men (144.0 per 100 000 person-years) and 627 women (34.5 per 100 000 person-years).

Former smokers (119.8 per 100 000 person-years; HR, 2.22; 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.03-2.44; NNH, 1250)

and current smokers (177.3 per 100 000 person-years; HR, 4.06; 95% CI, 3.66-4.50; NNH, 727) had higher risks of bladder cancer than

never smokers (39.8 per 100 000 person-years).

In contrast, the summary risk estimate for current smoking in 7 previous studies (initiated between 1963 and 1987) was 2.94 (95% CI, 2.45-3.54; I2 = 0.0%).

The PAR for ever smoking in our study was 0.50 (95% CI, 0.45-0.54) in men and 0.52 (95% CI, 0.45-0.59) in women.

Conclusion Compared with a pooled estimate of US data from cohorts initiated between 1963 and 1987, relative risks for smoking in the more recent NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study cohort were higher, with PARs for women comparable with those for men.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back