'He never did anything halfway': Montreal volunteer fighter dies in Ukraine, mother says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Regardless of what ones position is on going overseas to fight another nations war, there is a level of admiration I have for those willing to die for principle. I'm not sure if he was paid or what the situation is potentially beyond him standing with Ukraine, but, he had the courage to support his convictions.

RIP

Marie-France Sirois hadn't heard news about her son for days, until his best friend in the army called.

"I knew it was the end," she said.

Her son, Émile-Antoine Roy-Sirois, 31, died on July 18, according to his friend, Adriel Martinez, an American volunteer in Ukraine. Roy-Sirois left Montreal in March to lend support to Ukrainian troops following Russia's invasion on Feb. 24.

Sirois is hoping to bring her son's body back to Montreal after she spent months pleading with him not to leave.

"He was bright and clever and kind.... People loved him at first sight," she said. "I'll miss everything [about him], all my life."

She said she's been in contact with the Canadian Embassy in Ukraine, and the Ukrainian army is "supposed to take care of everything in order to get Émile's body back" home.

Forum List

Back