HDTV...any suggestions?

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
We are looking into purchasing an HDTV but would like some input from people who might know something about them.

From the little research I have done, we first have to decide between plasma and LCD. Then we go from there.

We would like to put it in our bedroom, wall mounted on a pivot arm (weight will be an issue) and we will want to watch it from bed or from the sofa. From either place, the viewing distance will be about 10-12 feet. I don't plan on getting HDTV service, but likely will spring for a blu-ray at some point.

Thoughts?

I just bought this: Sony - BRAVIA / 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV - KDL-52V5100

a c ouple weeks ago. the picture is nothing short of amazing. planet earth on it is insane. it can be wall mounted with an additional kit they sell.

about blu ray - get a ps3. it plays blu ray perfectly and if you have netflix you can stream directly to the ps3 for free using a disc they will mail you.

#1 - Don't buy a plasma TV
#2 - The only two brands you should consider buying are Samsung and LG
#3 - If you buy over 32" you should buy 1080i instead of 720

Best Buy has a lot of great deals right now on HDTV's.

#1 - Don't buy a plasma TV
#2 - The only two brands you should consider buying are Samsung and LG
#3 - If you buy over 32" you should buy 1080i instead of 720

Best Buy has a lot of great deals right now on HDTV's.

what about 1080p?

i wouldnt even buy a tv that does 1080i but not 1080p. if its over 32 inch you need 1080p

and sony (esp bravia) owns lg and the rest. also make sure it has a couple hdmi inputs in case you ever get more than just a blu ray player that uses hdmi (anynew video game console, home theater pc, etc)

I heard 1080p is the way to go and Vizio, Sony, and Samsung or the best brands. My parents got a Vizio 1080p 42 inch today at Walmart for a very good price, and it has an awesome picture.

I heard 1080p is the way to go and Vizio, Sony, and Samsung or the best brands. My parents got a Vizio 1080p 42 inch today at Walmart for a very good price, and it has an awesome picture.

1080 is the highest resolution currently out for TVs. the 'p' (progressive) gives a better picture than 'i' (interlaced) especially on higher refresh rates like tvs have now (newest tvs have 240Hz refresh rate).

by 2020 TVs will be out with 16x the resolution as 1080, its called ultra hd. Super Hi-Vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

will be 4320p :)

I read some about that in the last week. I do know that many of the comcast channels are only in 720i or P along with Directv but of course they will change that soon I am sure.

If you are anal about picture quality and you want a wide viewing angle get a Panasonic plasma.

If you don't care about either of those get an LCD.

SAMSUNG UN55B8000 55" LED TV

is the exact TV I got for my Living room.

I fucking love it. Worth every penny if you can afford it.

55" LED ,widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, Touch of Color, reflective acrylic bezel,Ultra Clear LCD panel (1920 x 1080 pixels), LED edge backlight for high contrast and natural colors, Auto Motion Plus 240Hz, anti-blur technology for clearer motion, 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 2-millisecond pixel response time and much more...

The new LED TV's give you the best picture by far.

Last edited:
We are looking into purchasing an HDTV but would like some input from people who might know something about them.

From the little research I have done, we first have to decide between plasma and LCD. Then we go from there.

We would like to put it in our bedroom, wall mounted on a pivot arm (weight will be an issue) and we will want to watch it from bed or from the sofa. From either place, the viewing distance will be about 10-12 feet. I don't plan on getting HDTV service, but likely will spring for a blu-ray at some point.

Thoughts?
buy a projector. They last longer, have true HD and can expand to practically any size. I have the Panasonic AE-700U with a custom Daylite Screen. My "big screen" is really big - it is 11 ft wide and 7 ft tall. Don't limit yourself, go big , get a projector!!

I just bought this: Sony - BRAVIA / 52" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV - KDL-52V5100

a c ouple weeks ago. the picture is nothing short of amazing. planet earth on it is insane. it can be wall mounted with an additional kit they sell.

about blu ray - get a ps3. it plays blu ray perfectly and if you have netflix you can stream directly to the ps3 for free using a disc they will mail you.

If you look, you might be able to find one where you get the ps3 free when you buy the tv. My boss was telling me about one before Black Friday but it was a Samsung. I like Sony better.

Forum List

Back