Have You Shopped at Walmart?

Have you ever shopped at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Despite Liberals hatred for companies like Walmart. With out them, Millions of Low Income families Standards of living would drop.

Period.

Walmart has very low prices but they impose a great inconvenience on millions of people by knocking out the mid sized stores in an area. I have to drive an extra 10 miles to go to Walmart because the discount stores that used to be on my side of town are now all gone. As are the supermarkets for that matter.

The amount of people who benefit from getting cheap products that raise their standards of living. Far out numbers the people hurt by Walmart, and I speak from Experience as my wife and I actually had a Small Gift shop in a town when Walmart moved in.

How else do you explain that people were call poor in the country, usually all have things like Beds, 3 TV's, Computers, Affordable cloths, and so much more. Because they can go to a discount store like Walmart.

And you people complaining about how much Walmart pays are idiots. Walmart is an Entry level job that anyone, even people with out a High School Diploma, Can expect to get. Working at walmart should not be someones Career Plan. Jobs like that used to be held by School kids, And Moms seeking a PT job for some extra cash. People willing to take the lower paying job, Because they did not expect to stay in it, and were using it to get some EXP, as a stepping stone.

Where do you expect Kids, and Others seeking to enter the work force, to get an entry level job, if you attack all the companies that provide them, Calling them Slave labor.

Last edited:
Despite Liberals hatred for companies like Walmart. With out them, Millions of Low Income families Standards of living would drop.

Period.

It's true. I live in a community of 9,800 and we have a medium sized Walmart which is expanding into a huge Walmart. It serves ppl from a 50 mile radius and with high gas prices, Walmart's customer base isn't what it used to be. The fact that it is expanding, shows that there is faith that the economy will turn around, I am hoping.

I love our Walmart for several reasons. Even though they have had to raise prices on SOME items, they have lowered prices on others. I love it because they have a woman manager. ( That point matters to me only because it seems to matter to those who love to bash Walmart. ) I am personally in favor of hiring the most competent people regardless of gender.

I love Walmart because they have a Subway. I love it because their employees are generally happy and smiling and when I asked several of them "if they liked their jobs" they said, "yes." One can tell how a manager is handling a company by the way the employees feel about their jobs. I love the fact that I can go in there early and feel that the store is "all mine."

Go Walmart! You are terrific for all your customers, whether in a good OR bad economy. :clap2:

the walmart by us kind of sucks. but i go there for a few select things. there is one in Pa near my sisters weekend house which is great. they have everything, but they are also like the only game in town.

I don't shop there much mostly because it's just a freaky bunch in there and it is usually VERY crowded.

You should fit right in if it's freaky.

I hate walmart. Won't shop in one. I'll cut back on other stuff. It's claustrophobic, it's ruined many businesses that I happened to be friends with, and the company sucks big hairy ones when it comes to their employees. This may make a few upset but I don't understand why it would. The question was...do we shop at walmart. I said a resounding NO. And why I won't.
Guess I should not respond to questioning titles any more, eh?

Eh, sorry if my answer led you to that conclusion; from your post it sounded like you hated the store, but never entered one.

Quite coincidentally, today it appears that Michelle Obama loves Walmart:

Michelle Obama joins forces with Walmart, Walgreens to battle food deserts - 44 - The Washington Post

Posted at 10:56 AM ET, 07/20/2011
Michelle Obama joins forces with Walmart, Walgreens to battle food deserts
By Beth Marlowe

As a part of her campaign to combat childhood obesity, First Lady Michelle Obama will announce commitments from major food retailers to open stores to make healthy, affordable food available in more areas across the U.S.

According to a White House official, “The commitments … will include opening or expanding over 1,500 stores to serve communities throughout the country that currently do not have access to fresh produce and other healthy foods.“

The commitments come from the heavy-hitters of the food industry including Walmart, Walgreens and Supervalu as well as regional stores around the country. Walgreens pledged to carry more fresh fruits and vegetables in at least 1,000 stores, while Walmart and Supervalu plan to open more than 500 new stores combined in the next five years, primarily in areas without access to healthy grocery options, according the the White House official...

I'm pretty skeptical of the above, Walmart has attempted to get into urban areas, welcomed for taxes and jobs it would bring, then turned away by unions. I don't see that changing.

Walgreens by nature of its stores and prices can't carry a huge array of fresh produce at reasonable prices.

Existing food stores already carry fresh produce, so this is an attempt to make it look like 'more jobs' coming, but I remain a bit doubtful. ;)

Yes I shop at Wal-Mart, the biggest complaint I have, is so many other damn people go there too!
It's always so crowded. But they have all the food I need, clothing, toilet tissue, paper plates, shampoos, hell...everything in one store. Plus long lines of course.
And if you go in the dead of night, you will see some of the most wicked individuals you could ever imagine ~Lmao~

Also, I have a cousin who works at a Wal-Mart in Illinois, she started out low on the totem pole, and has worked there for 25 years now. She is now top manager, she can't reach any higher goal. But she's happy with her job, and she gets a discount for life, even if she was to quit tomorrow.
Plus my beloved Aunt, she worked there for a long time, and then she finally became a door greeter. She seemed to enjoy her job too. When she would visit me in Tennessee, we'd run off to Wal-mart to see what things I might want, cause she'd get them with her discount :)

Not any more.

I worked there, and the base way we were all treated stunk to high heaven. They even had the audacity to tell me not to speak to union reps. [and no, they did not specify on thier property]

Shit pay, no benefits and was not allowed to get 40 hours in b/c they didn't want to pay a moment of OT.

Top that off, I wanted to buy a Flag. Took ~ 5 to find them and then ~ 20 to find one made in America.
There's no way that anyone should sell an America Flag that's made in Pakistan.

I buy cloths at Target and food at Priceright.

I love Walmart. It hires and trains people who often would be on welfare otherwise, and it provides a lot of decent quality merchandise for people who would otherwise have to go without.

When my older boys were babies, I remember having to go to one store for food, another for medicine, another for diapers, and good luck finding ANY place where I could find clothes that were priced in my range. Or toys, as far as that goes.

I can't tell you how much easier it was with this set of kids, born after the advent of Walmart in my area...I could take my very challenging children to one place and pick up anything I needed; no need to race all over the place, in and out in and out of the car, and I could actually afford to buy decent clothing for my children. Not only that, often I could get the kids' pics taken for next to nothing!

I don't shop there much mostly because it's just a freaky bunch in there and it is usually VERY crowded.

You should fit right in if it's freaky.

I hate walmart. Won't shop in one. I'll cut back on other stuff. It's claustrophobic, it's ruined many businesses that I happened to be friends with, and the company sucks big hairy ones when it comes to their employees. This may make a few upset but I don't understand why it would. The question was...do we shop at walmart. I said a resounding NO. And why I won't.
Guess I should not respond to questioning titles any more, eh?

Eh, sorry if my answer led you to that conclusion; from your post it sounded like you hated the store, but never entered one.

Quite coincidentally, today it appears that Michelle Obama loves Walmart:

Michelle Obama joins forces with Walmart, Walgreens to battle food deserts - 44 - The Washington Post

Posted at 10:56 AM ET, 07/20/2011
Michelle Obama joins forces with Walmart, Walgreens to battle food deserts
By Beth Marlowe

As a part of her campaign to combat childhood obesity, First Lady Michelle Obama will announce commitments from major food retailers to open stores to make healthy, affordable food available in more areas across the U.S.

According to a White House official, “The commitments … will include opening or expanding over 1,500 stores to serve communities throughout the country that currently do not have access to fresh produce and other healthy foods.“

The commitments come from the heavy-hitters of the food industry including Walmart, Walgreens and Supervalu as well as regional stores around the country. Walgreens pledged to carry more fresh fruits and vegetables in at least 1,000 stores, while Walmart and Supervalu plan to open more than 500 new stores combined in the next five years, primarily in areas without access to healthy grocery options, according the the White House official...

I'm pretty skeptical of the above, Walmart has attempted to get into urban areas, welcomed for taxes and jobs it would bring, then turned away by unions. I don't see that changing.

Walgreens by nature of its stores and prices can't carry a huge array of fresh produce at reasonable prices.

Existing food stores already carry fresh produce, so this is an attempt to make it look like 'more jobs' coming, but I remain a bit doubtful. ;)
Ex forced me to go in one just to check it out. I made it all the way to the back of the store but then felt a panic attack coming on. People were everywhere, it smelled, clothes were all on the floors from people just trying them on and then dropping them instead of putting them back on hangers, running and screaming kids, loud people, carts banging into each other, nasty people with their plumber butts hanging out of their pants, teenyboppers showing off their spare tires with mini tops and hip huggers and them weighing 300 lbs and scratching their asses and being even louder than screaming kids running rampant. Got to the check out with one lamp ex grabbed for his desk and the clerk was chewing her cud and oh-so-slow and I freaked. I ran outside and waited for hubby. He came out a few minutes later and said he couldn't handle it either. No lamp. We left. I said I would never ever go back to such a place again. He agreed.

What makes it worse is the mom and pop unique and cozy stores no longer in business, with the same good prices, all because of that eye sore. Nasty.
Give me a decent thrift shop any day. Food wise, Ralphs does just fine. Or albertsons, since they carry gluten free stuff.

That's because our government has made it impossible for the mom & pop stores to function competitively.

And that's a shame.

I avoid wallyworld like the plague. When they actually carried items made in the USA I shopped there. But as they have driven the small fry out of business and become ever more unethical I stopped shopping there.

They didn't drive anyone out of business.

Our idiotic government did by making it impossible for small businesses to function. Walmart just filled the gap our own stupid policies created.

Making it more expensive to be in business is always a stupid idea.

I've shopped at Walmart many times. I was glad it was there. Convenient, good prices, what else do you want?

--------------------------------------

Wal-Mart (Fortune 500), which averages 140 million shoppers weekly to its stores in the United States, is considered a barometer of the health of the consumer and the economy. Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

Wal-Mart has struggled with seven straight quarters of sales declines in its stores

With food prices rising, Duke said Wal-Mart is charging customers more for some fresh groceries while reducing prices on other merchandise such as electronics.

"We're seeing core consumers under a lot of pressure," Duke said at an event in New York. "There's no doubt that rising fuel prices are having an impact." "Purchases are really dropping off by the end of the month even more than last year," Duke said. "This end-of-month [purchases] cycle is growing to be a concern.

Wal-Mart shoppers running out of money - Apr. 27, 2011

If I wanted to fill my shopping cart with 'goods' made in China, I'd go to Chinatown. There, at least, I could find good dim sum.

They didn't drive anyone out of business.

Our idiotic government did by making it impossible for small businesses to function. Walmart just filled the gap our own stupid policies created.

Making it more expensive to be in business is always a stupid idea.

Of course they did, WalMart went into small town America and shuttered mainstreet America. The butcher ,the baker, the photograph maker all went out of business. The landlords who owned the now shuttered shops did too.

Period.

Wow, I thought you were just full of shit until I read the "Period." part. Now I know you mean business and know what you're talking about.

Imagine a 3 person economy. Joe, Bill, and Dave own a pet shop, clothing store, and tire shop, respectively, in the same town. They all earn enough to shop at each others stores and have money left over for other things. Now Wal-Mart opens in that town, and the clothing store, pet shop, and tire shop, all go out of business. Now Joe, Bill, and Dave have no choice but to work for Wal-Mart. Since they make sub-standard wages, they can only afford to shop at Wal-Mart.

Yeah. Real bumper crop for the working class, Wal-Mart is. Indeed. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back