Have You Bought Your Cowboy Gear Yet?

There's a disturbing lack of lever actions in this "cowboy" thread. ;)

1966 Marlin 336 "Texan" SRC.

g-007-2-jpg.723590

g-005-2-jpg.723591

My grandfather, a born and raised Texan born in 1898, had a term for limp wristed Texans--Lavender Cowboys.

Whatever happened to all the colorful and whimsical metaphors and terms used by the older generations????
They were a HOOT and a half!!!! I loved all those funny and silly names and terms!!!!

Nowadays it's just grostesque hate being spewed.

They'd probably disintegrate. The vendors in my line of work gave them away like water when I was working. I probably have 50 or so that have never been worn and I've given away at least that many.

If you sit down at the sink one day and use a toothbrush, a terry cloth rag, and some Woolite...........you should be able to clean them without damaging them.

Just fill up the sink with some warm water, dip the cap in, then use a half and half mixture of warm water and Woolite and lightly brush the really dirty areas with the toothbrush. Use the terry cloth rag to clean the rest.
Run warm water over it to get rid of the soap, and then blow dry on low heat with a blow dryer.

Or....if you have a dryer that has a shelf you can put in it, you can sit them in there on the shelf and dry them on low heat.
If it's a nice day, you can sit them outside on a towel.

I wear caps too, so I've learned how to clean them. And I wear those all cotton caps.

If you have those all polyester or plastic fabric hats, then if they are brittle, it might be best to just leave them.

The cleaning instructions go for the fabric caps and hats, not the ones made from plastics.....those do get brittle.

I wouldn't know about Yellowstone or anything else about modern programming. I basically stopped watching TV around 2003. I occasionally do watch a rerun of some old show I grew up with, but nothing regular. I might watch 3 or 4 movies per year if youre lucky. Our TV doesn't get a lot of use. My living room TV is 32" and bedroom only 19", not like these cinematic megaliths that take up a whole wall.

I even have Peacock but I NEVER watch it. The wife does a few times a week. I could not care less. I spend much of my spare time doing real things in the real world.

Be sure and get your hat and boots now. Repubs claim Biden is out to ban cowboys. Probably right after they come to get your gas stove.

If you sit down at the sink one day and use a toothbrush, a terry cloth rag, and some Woolite...........you should be able to clean them without damaging them.

Just fill up the sink with some warm water, dip the cap in, then use a half and half mixture of warm water and Woolite and lightly brush the really dirty areas with the toothbrush. Use the terry cloth rag to clean the rest.
Run warm water over it to get rid of the soap, and then blow dry on low heat with a blow dryer.

Or....if you have a dryer that has a shelf you can put in it, you can sit them in there on the shelf and dry them on low heat.
If it's a nice day, you can sit them outside on a towel.

I wear caps too, so I've learned how to clean them. And I wear those all cotton caps.

If you have those all polyester or plastic fabric hats, then if they are brittle, it might be best to just leave them.

The cleaning instructions go for the fabric caps and hats, not the ones made from plastics.....those do get brittle.
Over the years, I have had a few caps that I was partial to that I washed, but like I said, I could go almost two months and never wear the same hat twice. It is not that important for me to waste my time on. I have a few that I only wear on special occasions--one is my Big Red 1, First Marine Division camo cap. That might get worn a couple times a year.

I grew up 150 miles North of Yellowstone Park. The only time I remember wearing a cowboy hat was at rodeos. Hardly anyone wears a cowboy hat in Montana. I also noticed hardly anyone wears a cowboy hat in Texas either. If you're riding a horse, unless you have a chin strap on, chances are you're going to lose that thing the first big cross-wind that comes up.

But people all over the country are starting to go cowboy crazy again and buying up all of the Western gear so they can look like the folks on the show "Yellowstone". (Remember the Urban Cowboy craze?) Being a cowboy isn't what people think. Riding a horse for long periods of time is really hard on more things than your backside. There's a reason why the women at country bars are usually more friendly than women at most urban nightclubs. The people there are more grounded and less swell-headed. I was in a Honky-tonk in Texas that had a dance-floor that reminded me of Daytona. Everyone just seemed to swing around in a circle like a racetrack.

View attachment 748115View attachment 748116View attachment 748117

Even though I was born and raised in Montana....I'm never going to say that I'm a cowboy....because even though I know how to ride I've never had to push cattle. I can't rope because I never bought a Lariat lasso. You need to practice to do that right.

View attachment 748119

Yellowstone is a good show (at times not very realistic)....but it pisses me off a bit....because since the show started...property values in my home state have skyrocketed. I prefer 1883...which is a prequel to Yellowstone...and really gives you a better idea what it took to travel across the country and settle in the West. It also reminds me of why exactly the population in Montana never reached more than half a million. (It's going to be 1.2 million this year)

The Winters are cold.....and they chase away all of the folks from New York or California.

I remember the days when we didn't even have interstates or four-lane highways. I remember the Tee-Pees that were set up by the river in Lolo South of Missoula. They're nothing but a memory now.

View attachment 748133
Do T-shirts count?
A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C91UNSIMb9vL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UL1500_.png

Forum List

Back