CDZ Have we literally lost the ability to solve our own problems?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Fail to exercise a muscle and it will wither. Fail to exercise a skill and it will do the same.

Is that what has happened to our ability to communicate with those who dare to disagree with us? And if so, precisely how are we supposed to solve ANY problem, improve ANY situation?

How often do you see two people who disagree have a normal, civil, intelligent conversation any more, in the media, online, or in real life? I think we have literally lost the skill to have normal disagreements.

Has Society Lost Its Ability to Debate?

I think, as a society, we have abandoned our ability to do our research and debate. We allow our own allegiances (both in politics, religion, and other issues) to cloud our skills. I see it on my own newsfeed. People arguing, but no one is really saying anything. This lack of conversation divides people. It makes people puff out their chest and scream the loudest or say the nastiest of words in order to assert dominance in an argument. What does that accomplish? Nothing. It just burns more relationships.

We are so convinced that our side is right and the other side is evil that we fail to investigate a situation, understand both sides, and talk with someone whose opinions differ than your own. This type of behavior has highlighted a much more irrational side of our society. A side that causes more problems than solutions. Isn't that the point of conversation? To discuss an issue completely in order to fix it?

Thoughts?

I think the government needs to start a program to force people to be more self-sufficient.

Fail to exercise a muscle and it will wither. Fail to exercise a skill and it will do the same.

Is that what has happened to our ability to communicate with those who dare to disagree with us? And if so, precisely how are we supposed to solve ANY problem, improve ANY situation?

How often do you see two people who disagree have a normal, civil, intelligent conversation any more, in the media, online, or in real life? I think we have literally lost the skill to have normal disagreements.

I think, as a society, we have abandoned our ability to do our research and debate. We allow our own allegiances (both in politics, religion, and other issues) to cloud our skills. I see it on my own newsfeed. People arguing, but no one is really saying anything. This lack of conversation divides people. It makes people puff out their chest and scream the loudest or say the nastiest of words in order to assert dominance in an argument. What does that accomplish? Nothing. It just burns more relationships.

We are so convinced that our side is right and the other side is evil that we fail to investigate a situation, understand both sides, and talk with someone whose opinions differ than your own. This type of behavior has highlighted a much more irrational side of our society. A side that causes more problems than solutions. Isn't that the point of conversation? To discuss an issue completely in order to fix it?

Thoughts?
^Fake News

How often do you see two people who disagree have a normal, civil, intelligent conversation any more, in the media, online, or
Not a good sign so far.
Well everyone has there own "facts" nowadays. If you believe in unicorns its just a google click away to some shitty website that says unicorns are real. That website has the REAL truth! And msm is fake news!

Thoughts?

Is that what has happened to our ability to communicate with those who dare to disagree with us?

No.

As long as people are buying the garbage the media dumps on us this will continue to be a problem.
The goal from day one, as soon as Trump was elected, was to cause division.
If you're a globalist then you believe what they tell us. If you're an American who feels we've been taken advantage of, much of what the press tells offends you.
If you're a fence-sitting never-Trumper....you're gonna complain about a lack of communication.

I think the government needs to start a program to force people to be more self-sufficient.
This isn't about government, it's about culture.
But government impacts culture in a big way, in the USA. A very big NEGATIVE way.
In America, the government doesn't infringe on our ability to communicate.
No...they just spy on all our communications and no doubt, will use this against us if they so chose.

But government impacts culture in a big way, in the USA. A very big NEGATIVE way.
No...they just spy on all our communications and no doubt, will use this against us if they so chose.
Of course, but you are off topic and I am anxiously awaiting Mac's imminent victory speech.

Of course, but you are off topic and I am anxiously awaiting Mac's imminent victory speech.
How was my post off topic and yours not?

Thoughts?
One simple solution would be to eliminate those who hold opposing views or beliefs...

You got me? I'm blaming the government and this is about to get real f*!#ing uncivil, so watch it!

You got me? I'm blaming the government and this is about to get real f*!#ing uncivil, so watch it!
Here is an interesting column that pertains to our discussion and YOU will find truthful. Rather gloomy for a Friday morning...but likely true.

Why We’re Underestimating American Collapse
The Strange New Pathologies of the World’s First Rich Failed State

Now, you might say — “well, poor people have always chased seasonal work!” But that is not really the point: absolute powerlessness and complete indignity is. In no other country I can see do retirees who should have been able to save up enough to live on now living in their cars in order to find work just to go on eating before they die — not even in desperately poor ones, where at least families live together, share resources, and care for one another. This is another pathology of collapse that is unique to America — utter powerlessness to live with dignity. Numbers don’t capture it — but comparisons paint a bleak picture.

How did America’s elderly end up cheated of dignity? After all, even desperately poor countries have “informal social support systems” — otherwise known as families and communities. But in America, there is the catastrophic collapse of social bonds. Extreme capitalism has blown apart American society so totally that people cannot even care for one another as much as they do in places like Pakistan and Nigeria. Social bonds, relationships themselves, have become unaffordable luxuries, more so than even in poor countries: this is yet another social pathology unique to American collapse.

Yet those once poor countries are making great strides. Costa Ricans now have higher life expectancy than Americans — because they have public healthcare. American life expectancy is falling, unlike nearly anywhere else in the world, save the UK — because it doesn’t.

And that is my last pathology: it is one of the soul, not one of the limbs, like the others above. American appear to be quite happy simply watching one another die, in all the ways above. They just don’t appear to be too disturbed, moved, or even affected by the four pathologies above: their kids killing each other, their social bonds collapsing, being powerless to live with dignity,or having to numb the pain of it all away.

If these pathologies happened in any other rich country — even in most poor ones — people would be aghast, shocked, and stunned, and certainly moved to make them not happen. But in America, they are, well, not even resigned. They are indifferent, mostly.

American collapse is much more severe than we suppose it is. We are underestimating its magnitude, not overestimating it. American intellectuals, media, and thought doesn’t put any of its problems in global or historical perspective — but when they are seen that way, America’s problems are revealed to be not just the everyday nuisances of a declining nation, but something more like a body suddenly attacked by unimagined diseases.

Seen accurately. American collapse is a catastrophe of human possibility without modern parallel .

more at the link.................
Why We’re Underestimating American Collapse – Eudaimonia and Co

Here is an interesting column that pertains to our discussion and YOU will find truthful. Rather gloomy for a Friday morning...but likely true.
I don't know how anyone could deny it.

I don't necessarily agree with the author that we need a new language to make sense of it though. I don't speak a foreign language. People just need to step back and look at the broader picture.

I don't know how anyone could deny it.

I don't necessarily agree with the author that we need a new language to make sense of it though. I don't speak a foreign language. People just need to step back and look at the broader picture.
I don't believe most Americans will step back and look at the broader picture. They are asleep. Many still believe the USA is the greatest freest nation in the world. They WANT to believe this, though their eyes have to be telling them otherwise.

We as a nation, are sleep walking into a train wreck.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Here is the lefts answer for a honest debate. It is taught in College that this is how you stop FREE speech, you don't want to hear.

Forum List

Back