Hatching Chicken Eggs - Steps with automatic incubator

I've never used an incubator, and prefer a good broody hen to do that chore. Unfortunately of my current flock, I don't seem to have any takers at the moment, so I'll be getting a fresh batch of chicks of a more reliable breed in the next couple of weeks in another attempt for a good broody

I've never used an incubator, and prefer a good broody hen to do that chore. Unfortunately of my current flock, I don't seem to have any takers at the moment, so I'll be getting a fresh batch of chicks of a more reliable breed in the next couple of weeks in another attempt for a good broody
What brand do you have now?

Last year my grandson went to the chicken coop to feed the chickens. Entering the coop he tripped and fell down. The rooster who is pretty aggressive, jumped on top of my grandson and started pecking him. He was freaked out, and was screaming and yelling for help. He finally pushed the rooster off of him and ran away as fast as he could, with the rooster chasing him at full speed. Everyone was laughing like crazy at the comical sight.

So I bought this sign and nailed it to the chicken coop's door. ..... :lol: :lol:

51hzNwEKfdL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:
The damn bald eagles and chicken hawks are so thick around here you don't have to worry about the possums and raccoons getting the chickens...or chicks or eggs

Right now I have 4 Wyandotte hens with a Jubilee Orpington rooster. My favorites are Orpingtons.....they are calm, lay plenty of eggs, sometimes double yolkers and big enough for a meal. Sometimes they will brood and are good mama's. I'm also going to get a couple Marans for the darker eggs and I understand they are good brooders as well

I've had a few good hens in the past that have hatched out chicks and I keep kicking myself for having gotten rid of them.

Right now I have 4 Wyandotte hens with a Jubilee Orpington rooster. My favorites are Orpingtons.....they are calm, lay plenty of eggs, sometimes double yolkers and big enough for a meal. Sometimes they will brood and are good mama's. I'm also going to get a couple Marans for the darker eggs and I understand they are good brooders as well

I've had a few good hens in the past that have hatched out chicks and I keep kicking myself for having gotten rid of them.
My favorite is the araucana..

Forum List

Back