CDZ Has the #METOO movement created the third great divide in America?

theo5.jpg

Has the #METOO movement created the third great divide in America?

No. The happenstance of women being sexually abused and/or harassed by men long predates the #METOO movement. If anything, women and our society arriving at a place whereby women who are abused/harassed will have their attestations to that effect taken seriously and there being toward abusers/harassers of women increased levels of disdain among men and women in our culture is long overdue. Surely, neither you nor anyone else thinks women cottoned to being harassed, abused or otherwise seen and treated as objects?

It depends on the woman and the situation. There have certainly been many legitimate victims of sexual abuse. There have also certainly been many women who consented to sexual advances for their own perceived benefit. That is the history.

Now going forward, will there be unintended consequences such as a general distrust of women? (Is she just being friendly or is she setting me up?) Or will there be men who lose their positions at work, in politics, etc. due to exaggerated claims by opportunistic women? To that I say YES that is a distinct and dangerous possibility if the guidelines for sexual misconduct remain as murky and ill-defined as they are today.

Has the #METOO movement created the third great divide in America?

No. The happenstance of women being sexually abused and/or harassed by men long predates the #METOO movement. If anything, women and our society arriving at a place whereby women who are abused/harassed will have their attestations to that effect taken seriously and there being toward abusers/harassers of women increased levels of disdain among men and women in our culture is long overdue. Surely, neither you nor anyone else thinks women cottoned to being harassed, abused or otherwise seen and treated as objects?

It depends on the woman and the situation. There have certainly been many legitimate victims of sexual abuse. There have also certainly been many women who consented to sexual advances for their own perceived benefit. That is the history.

Now going forward, will there be unintended consequences such as a general distrust of women? (Is she just being friendly or is she setting me up?) Or will there be men who lose their positions at work, in politics, etc. due to exaggerated claims by opportunistic women? To that I say YES that is a distinct and dangerous possibility if the guidelines for sexual misconduct remain as murky and ill-defined as they are today.
if the guidelines for sexual misconduct remain as murky and ill-defined as they are today.

Those guidelines aren't murky. Predicating, tacitly or explicitly, the delivery of well, anything, on another's acquiescing to one's sexual overtures is at least sexual harassment, and depending on the nature of the overture, may rise to the level of assault.

It is undeniable that we have wide divisions in America along Racial and economic lines. White Privilege and income inequality are the rallying cries that push these divisions ever wider. Are we now adding the third great divide between men and women with the surge of the #METOO movement? Has this new wave of accusations created a future of distrust between men and women or is it all for the good? My fear is that for every legitimate case of sexual abuse, there will be an opportunistic woman using this newfound tool to advance herself at the expense of a man who is innocent, or at least not guilty of anything more than a passing comment or a pat on the butt.

Hello, you pat me on my bottom and you will shortly lack a hand! That never happened to me, because I think smarter men than you recognized that this is, wow, so not something that is "anything more than" as you say. I personally define some creepazoid doing that as "he needed killing," and if you were very lucky, would just report you to the police and insist on charges. What are you THINKING of to say that you worthless nothing guys get to pat us on the bottom???

That said, yes, there are at least two shifting division lines in America. One is party: leftist Dems versus rightwing Trump and unhappy anti-Trump GOP. Another is men versus women. These divisions flip around a lot. I've seen it here.

Suggestion: act decent, males. Sexual harassment comments and "pats on the bottom" will get you fired and a whole lot of women standing around cheering for it. You get no sympathy from us.

Kind of disturbing that you consider some guy assaulting my daughters or wife is trivial. Perhaps you just don't have a handle or grasp of what sexual assault is or includes. Is grabbing a females ass exempt from normal and regular assault definition and charges? You can not lay hands on another person unless it is a women's ass?

Yeah, really! I appreciate your saying this.

It is undeniable that we have wide divisions in America along Racial and economic lines. White Privilege and income inequality are the rallying cries that push these divisions ever wider. Are we now adding the third great divide between men and women with the surge of the #METOO movement? Has this new wave of accusations created a future of distrust between men and women or is it all for the good? My fear is that for every legitimate case of sexual abuse, there will be an opportunistic woman using this newfound tool to advance herself at the expense of a man who is innocent, or at least not guilty of anything more than a passing comment or a pat on the butt.

Hello, you pat me on my bottom and you will shortly lack a hand! That never happened to me, because I think smarter men than you recognized that this is, wow, so not something that is "anything more than" as you say. I personally define some creepazoid doing that as "he needed killing," and if you were very lucky, would just report you to the police and insist on charges. What are you THINKING of to say that you worthless nothing guys get to pat us on the bottom???

That said, yes, there are at least two shifting division lines in America. One is party: leftist Dems versus rightwing Trump and unhappy anti-Trump GOP. Another is men versus women. These divisions flip around a lot. I've seen it here.

Suggestion: act decent, males. Sexual harassment comments and "pats on the bottom" will get you fired and a whole lot of women standing around cheering for it. You get no sympathy from us.
Your last line is exactly what I'm talking about. You are viewing the issue emotionally, and not even considering how broad the definition of sexual harassment is, and the potential negative consequences for men AND women. If you believe all women are innocent victims and all men a sexual predators you are mistaken. This issue is far more complicated than that.

Your last line is exactly what I'm talking about. You are viewing the issue emotionally, and not even considering how broad the definition of sexual harassment is, and the potential negative consequences for men AND women. If you believe all women are innocent victims and all men a sexual predators you are mistaken. This issue is far more complicated than that.

You better believe I'm viewing the issue emotionally.

This issue is not at all complicated: don't be a pig, buster, and if you are we WILL get you fired and disgraced as widely as we possibly can.

You better believe I'm viewing the issue emotionally.

This issue is not at all complicated: don't be a pig, buster, and if you are we WILL get you fired and disgraced as widely as we possibly can.

It's not complicated because you choose to over simplify it. You know full well there are women who are less than honest who have and will abuse this law for personal gain. You may feel "empowered" by METOO until a male in your life is wrongly accused and destroyed.

And it is exactly the sentiments you describe that I believe will create a divide of distrust between men and women which will not benefit either side.

It's not complicated because you choose to over simplify it. You know full well there are women who are less than honest who have and will abuse this law for personal gain. You may feel "empowered" by METOO until a male in your life is wrongly accused and destroyed.

There is not a man in my life who would behave in a way that would get him accused and destroyed by women. I suggest you straighten out your attitude toward women. We are not made to be your victims.

And it is exactly the sentiments you describe that I believe will create a divide of distrust between men and women which will not benefit either side.

No, it's that it won't benefit YOU anymore if you are a victimizer. You sound as if you are very angry that you don't get to victimize women anymore. You are right: you don't get to. We already distrust you: now you get to distrust us. This so works for women.

You have made the VERY false assumption that because I have brought up the issues surrounding METOO that I must be a sexual predator. Incorrect. You are trying like all Liberals do to evade the core issues I brought up because they are too complicated. It's simpler to just attack the source isn't it?

I think that you are over thinking this. Blokes know where the line is and the decent ones don't cross it.
There have always been false accusations made and always will be. That is a terrible thing but it doesn't invalidate the complaints of many many women.
Two points.
The vilification of many of these women, mainly on partisan lines, does not encourage other women to come forward.
Secondly, and this from another thread.
I see women being judged on the way they dress and their sexual history. This kinda of bonehead behaviour shows why there is an issue in the first place. People who make these judgements are as big a part of the problem as Weinstein , Trump and Moore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

The "Me, Too" movement is not creating a divide in the U.S. that wasn't already there in the first place. Given all of the stories about things that happened years ago, it is plain that people who were victimized in the past did not feel that there were appropriate avenues for reporting these incidents, and that they would be laughed at, or, worse, blamed for what happened if they reported it to anyone but their friends, while the perp walked away laughing, just to do it again.

The "Me, Too" movement is a popular in Europe and some other parts of the world like India, as well as here in the U.S. The name for it in France translates into "rat out your pig." There's a lot going on in the UK Parliament and the UK entertainment industry, in the European Parliament, and in Germany and Italy, too.

We already have the social rules in place, and have had them for centuries. One does not touch another person uninvited, except for a handshake. We all should know that from kindergarten. If someone catches your eye, ask them out for coffee. See what happens. It also clears the air to discuss abuse-of-power issues in this context. Both women and men have complained that persons with power over them have misused that power. The "Me, Too" movements are just doing a long-awaited house-cleaning.

And it doesn't hurt to encourage everyone to respect each other as one human being to another.

Remember that while the actions of many heterosexual men and homosexual men have been brought into question, so many millions more men have not been reported as having done anything wrong.
I believe you are only looking at the woman's side of the issue. The purpose of this thread is to explore the POSSIBLE unintended consequences of METOO. The first being that it could potentially create an "us vs them" atmosphere where men and women can no longer have informal fun together for fear of legal repercussions The second is the law being misused by opportunistic women. Do any of us want our sons to lose their job because some woman decided his comment about her blouse was "inappropriate"? That is how broad and vague the law has become.

You are basing your comments on an unsubstantiated and misogynistic view that women tend to lie about these matters and men don't. No one seems to keep track of the cases in which men charged with criminal rape denied it, but were found guilty, and how many men have denied harassment even though the organized complaint/investigation procedures that employers have put into place in recent years to ward off the possibility of an employee bringing a hostile-work-environment claim have been followed and employers have come to the conclusion that they are guilty. I was involved in EEO law for decades up until very recently. Employers have a great defense to such claims if they have a specific anti-harassment policy in place that contains specific complaint procedures and that is well communicated to all employees, so long as they follow up with a reasonable investigation, like interviewing other employees who might be witnesses. A necessary part of these policies is separate provisions are made for situations in which the alleged harasser has power over the complaining employee in some way, as her or his supervisor, for instance.

However, things are very different in less-structured work environments, where abuse of power can go unchecked, from the entertainment industry to dentists' offices.

I doubt that people will stop having "informal fun" just because of the "Me, Too" movement. We used to have great fun. Guys left me cartoons, told me about the "Darwin Awards" and other such fun websites, we had a slinky to use on the stairs, I've come back to find my office decorated with my high heels and Quaker rice cakes dangling from the ceiling. I even had a sign on my office door-handle that read "sexual harassment will not be reported. It will, however, be graded." Normal people know where the lines are drawn and a giggle is still a giggle.

When you have a deep cut form a rusty can the wound must first be opened up and cleaned thoroughly and sterilized, then stitched back together.

And blood will be lost. But the outcome is a wound that heals properly and then is forgotten.
Your analogy works for those men who have for years used their positions of power to exploit or abuse innocent women. There is no question that has occurred. But there is much more to this issue such as men who are destroyed due to exaggerated claims of abuse, or women who have and will use this as a tool for self promotion or advancement. Then there is the collateral damage to families of men wrongly accused. And ultimately the possibility of creation of distrust and a divide between the sexes.

I think that you are over thinking this. Blokes know where the line is and the decent ones don't cross it.
There have always been false accusations made and always will be. That is a terrible thing but it doesn't invalidate the complaints of many many women.
Two points.
The vilification of many of these women, mainly on partisan lines, does not encourage other women to come forward.
I see women being judged on the way they dress and their sexual history. This kinda of bonehead behaviour shows why there is an issue in the first place. People who make these judgements are as big a part of the problem as Weinstein , Trump and Moore.

All women are not innocent in regards to sexual misconduct claims and all men are not guilty. The Liberal stance on METOO is that all women are virtuous innocents and that is not true. Most are but some are not. And you have the Gloria Allreds of the world who have made their career using the broad interpretation of 'sexual misconduct' to full advantage.

Many women regularly abuse the assumption that women are always the prey not the predator. Only ignorant idiots who forget things like the Duke Lacrosse team and other less notorious cases buy into METOO BS.

The "Me, Too" movement is not creating a divide in the U.S. that wasn't already there in the first place. Given all of the stories about things that happened years ago, it is plain that people who were victimized in the past did not feel that there were appropriate avenues for reporting these incidents, and that they would be laughed at, or, worse, blamed for what happened if they reported it to anyone but their friends, while the perp walked away laughing, just to do it again.

The "Me, Too" movement is a popular in Europe and some other parts of the world like India, as well as here in the U.S. The name for it in France translates into "rat out your pig." There's a lot going on in the UK Parliament and the UK entertainment industry, in the European Parliament, and in Germany and Italy, too.

We already have the social rules in place, and have had them for centuries. One does not touch another person uninvited, except for a handshake. We all should know that from kindergarten. If someone catches your eye, ask them out for coffee. See what happens. It also clears the air to discuss abuse-of-power issues in this context. Both women and men have complained that persons with power over them have misused that power. The "Me, Too" movements are just doing a long-awaited house-cleaning.

And it doesn't hurt to encourage everyone to respect each other as one human being to another.

Remember that while the actions of many heterosexual men and homosexual men have been brought into question, so many millions more men have not been reported as having done anything wrong.
I believe you are only looking at the woman's side of the issue. The purpose of this thread is to explore the POSSIBLE unintended consequences of METOO. The first being that it could potentially create an "us vs them" atmosphere where men and women can no longer have informal fun together for fear of legal repercussions The second is the law being misused by opportunistic women. Do any of us want our sons to lose their job because some woman decided his comment about her blouse was "inappropriate"? That is how broad and vague the law has become.

You are basing your comments on an unsubstantiated and misogynistic view that women tend to lie about these matters and men don't. No one seems to keep track of the cases in which men charged with criminal rape denied it, but were found guilty, and how many men have denied harassment even though the organized complaint/investigation procedures that employers have put into place in recent years to ward off the possibility of an employee bringing a hostile-work-environment claim have been followed and employers have come to the conclusion that they are guilty. I was involved in EEO law for decades up until very recently. Employers have a great defense to such claims if they have a specific anti-harassment policy in place that contains specific complaint procedures and that is well communicated to all employees, so long as they follow up with a reasonable investigation, like interviewing other employees who might be witnesses. A necessary part of these policies is separate provisions are made for situations in which the alleged harasser has power over the complaining employee in some way, as her or his supervisor, for instance.

However, things are very different in less-structured work environments, where abuse of power can go unchecked, from the entertainment industry to dentists' offices.

I doubt that people will stop having "informal fun" just because of the "Me, Too" movement. We used to have great fun. Guys left me cartoons, told me about the "Darwin Awards" and other such fun websites, we had a slinky to use on the stairs, I've come back to find my office decorated with my high heels and Quaker rice cakes dangling from the ceiling. I even had a sign on my office door-handle that read "sexual harassment will not be reported. It will, however, be graded." Normal people know where the lines are drawn and a giggle is still a giggle.
Everyone is not 'normal'. There will always be a spectrum of behavior on both sides. The law is too vague and now the arm of justice swings so fast, the man is basically guilty before he has a day in court. Take Al Franken as an example. I am no fan and don't believe he ever deserved to be a Senator. I also don't believe that he should have been forced to resign based on a silly prank photo that clearly (if you examine the photo) shows his fingers NOT touching the female soldiers breasts. There were other allegations of forced kissing etc. but it was the photo that made everyone lose their minds. That is what I mean about how broad the interpretation of misconduct is and the possible affects on how men and women interact. Yes there are asshole men in power. But there are also gold digger women and varying shades of gray on both sides. That is not misogyny. That is reality.

It is not a new found tool. This tool has been used for a very long time. This is why when I was a child, mom took the baby sitter home instead of dad. This is why my wife took the baby sitter home instead of me! People that understand perception becomes reality on the street, have been carefull with this subject for a very long time!

Two points.

All women are not innocent in regards to sexual misconduct claims and all men are not guilty. The Liberal stance on METOO is that all women are virtuous innocents and that is not true. Most are but some are not. And you have the Gloria Allreds of the world who have made their career using the broad interpretation of 'sexual misconduct' to full advantage.
That being so, and I am not disputing the points you make,there is obviously an issue in the way that people conduct themselves with the opposite sex.
Its not a new phenomenon but perhaps it is only now that women feel confident enough to speak up. MeToo should take some credit forthat.
I dont think it helps to trivialise or exaggerate the issue either. These complaints are not the odd comment or pat on the bum.

Weinstein seems to have been a serial sex pest for years. O Reilly the same. How much did he pay out in damages ?
Franken might be a different issue but just look at the picture. He looks like a total wanker. Why would you vote for him ?
Moore still hasnt sued his accusers who everybody believes are credible.

None of these are a comment or a pat on the bum and there are no victims there.

Everyone is not 'normal'. There will always be a spectrum of behavior on both sides. The law is too vague and now the arm of justice swings so fast, the man is basically guilty before he has a day in court. Take Al Franken as an example. I am no fan and don't believe he ever deserved to be a Senator. I also don't believe that he should have been forced to resign based on a silly prank photo that clearly (if you examine the photo) shows his fingers NOT touching the female soldiers breasts. There were other allegations of forced kissing etc. but it was the photo that made everyone lose their minds. That is what I mean about how broad the interpretation of misconduct is and the possible affects on how men and women interact. Yes there are asshole men in power. But there are also gold digger women and varying shades of gray on both sides. That is not misogyny. That is reality.

I doubt that people will stop having "informal fun" just because of the "Me, Too" movement. We used to have great fun. Guys left me cartoons, told me about the "Darwin Awards" and other such fun websites, we had a slinky to use on the stairs, I've come back to find my office decorated with my high heels and Quaker rice cakes dangling from the ceiling. I even had a sign on my office door-handle that read "sexual harassment will not be reported. It will, however, be graded." Normal people know where the lines are drawn and a giggle is still a giggle.[/QUOTE]
Everyone is not 'normal'. There will always be a spectrum of behavior on both sides. The law is too vague and now the arm of justice swings so fast, the man is basically guilty before he has a day in court. Take Al Franken as an example. I am no fan and don't believe he ever deserved to be a Senator. I also don't believe that he should have been forced to resign based on a silly prank photo that clearly (if you examine the photo) shows his fingers NOT touching the female soldiers breasts. There were other allegations of forced kissing etc. but it was the photo that made everyone lose their minds. That is what I mean about how broad the interpretation of misconduct is and the possible affects on how men and women interact. Yes there are asshole men in power. But there are also gold digger women and varying shades of gray on both sides. That is not misogyny. That is reality.[/QUOTE]

I think that there is a basic misunderstanding going on here. I'm not sure that there are more than a handful of men who may be bound for criminal court, and these are the ones who have been accused by name of rape or forcible sex acts, like Weinstein, who apparently is being investigated for criminal acts on both sides of the Atlantic. Prosecutor have a bad enough time trying to amass enough evidence to make bringing criminal charges worth it, no matter what the crime. If there are others named, it's a matter for the civil courts, if the alleged victim chooses to bring a civil action, and the accused (and/or his or her employer) either defends the civil complaint or settles the matter with, of course, an NDA.

The vast majority of complaints filed with "Me, Too" and its counterparts in other nations, do not name names and are intended simply to tell the world just what the person endured, so that everyone may know instead of continuing to live in silence with some idea that s/he should feel shame or guilt. Most of the perps either were not named or the person never actually knew the name of the individual who subjected her or him to rough treatment. One woman in Britain went on camera to describe what happened to her on a London bus. Of course she never knew who her fellow bus-rider was. I have four offenses that I could, but have not, recorded on "Me, Too." I know the names of two, and not the names of the other two. Of the ones I could name, one was a foreigner and the offenses took place in (more than one) foreign country when I was a teenager and he was a 30-something professional.The other was a work colleague right here in the U.S.A.

Don't mix up "Me, Too" with what happens in a court of law, either criminal or civil. Most of the perps would committed the misconduct on which the stories told were based will never face any criminal or civil punishment. The stories told by the "Me, Too" participants are cathartic, and they also serve as a wonderful warning to the world to watch your Ps and Qs.

Forum List

Back