Has gravitational waves been discovered?

The eLisa mission from the European Space Agency will be much more sensitive, but that's not going up until around 2034. The gear is so complicated that they're sending up a technology demo satellite on Nov 27 2015, LISA pathfinder, to start working the bugs out.

eLISA will have 3 satellites flying in a triangle formation, spaced about a million kilometers apart, with laser interferometers on them that can measure the distances between them to sub-millimeter distances. With that kind of precision, it would be possible to see the ongoing gravitational waves from a pair of white dwarf stars circling each other in an extremely tight orbit. The LIGO setup can only see the rare bigger waves, like those from a pair of neutron stars or black holes spiraling into each other.

The eLisa mission from the European Space Agency will be much more sensitive, but that's not going up until around 2034. The gear is so complicated that they're sending up a technology demo satellite on Nov 27 2015, LISA pathfinder, to start working the bugs out.

eLISA will have 3 satellites flying in a triangle formation, spaced about a million kilometers apart, with laser interferometers on them that can measure the distances between them to sub-millimeter distances. With that kind of precision, it would be possible to see the ongoing gravitational waves from a pair of white dwarf stars circling each other in an extremely tight orbit. The LIGO setup can only see the rare bigger waves, like those from a pair of neutron stars or black holes spiraling into each other.
ya, I kinda know what your talking about. I always worn golfers not to stand behind me when I golf cause the force of my down swing is so great that it might suck them in and spit them out the other side.

Forum List

Back