Has Anybody Ever Been to Alaska Before?

On the way to Vietnam from San Francisco in 1967 we stopped in Alaska to fuel up the airplane.

I was there for about an hour or so.

I don't think that counts.

I did banzai Halibut fishing trip there with a hunting buddy's rich-ass brother who flew us up back in the 80s.

Other than what little I saw of it from the air what impressed me was the difference between low and high tide. Where we was it was like 25'.

We slayed the Halibut, we flew back with around 600# of vacuum sealed filets.

What a Halibut looks like.....Sort of a flounder on steroids.

OIP.aN3sJEeHBnSZ5vjzh6QIwwHaLf

The closest that I have ever been to Alaska was the film that country singer LeAnn Rimes did with the man that she is now married to. Their film named Northern Lights takes place in Alaska. Lunacy is the name of the city, and it is supposed to be somewhere near Anchorage. I don't know if it's a real city up there or just a city name that was made up for the movie.

God bless you and LeAnn and her family always!!!

Holly

P.S. The film was released in 2009 and LeAnn and Eddie Cibrian got married in 2011.

I did banzai Halibut fishing trip there with a hunting buddy's rich-ass brother who flew us up back in the 80s.

Other than what little I saw of it from the air what impressed me was the difference between low and high tide. Where we was it was like 25'.

So in other words you went to Alaska just for the halibut. :auiqs.jpg:

Alaska is lovely and beautiful. Big state, lots of outdoor activities and sight-seeing. And in the summer the sun sets well after 11pm, depending how far north you are in the state, above the arctic circle you can get 24 hours of daylight, which is a trip (I experience that in the Canadian Arctic).

Saw a couple of glaciers, by boat and motorcoach. Spent nights in Anchorage and Valdez. If you're into fishing, there's plenty of places to do that (I didn't do that personally). Going up to Denali is interesting (you can drive up, or go by train).

So peaceful.

Sirloin of the Sea

With their thick taste, there the only fish I like. Broil and add butter, lime juice, and black pepper.

My wife's younger sister and her husband lived in Fairbanks for thirty years. We visited them twice and took a motor coach all around the state, to North Pole, Alaska, Homer, where we fished for halibut, and took the dirt road across the state. In Anchorage, we climbed Mount Flattop, a very popular hike for locals and visitors alike.
In Anchorage, we rented a boat and caught a few salmon.

The mosquitoes in the woods will eat you alive. Everyone packs a pistol, open carry. Bear country. When I got off the commercial jet, my brother in law gave me a holster with a 9 mm semiautomatic, fully loaded of course. No fights up there. Everybody's real nice, know what I mean Vern?

They retired to Orcas Island, Washington. Not many folks stay on account of winter is dark and depressing. His kids all moved south as he and Cathy did.

They have a saying: "Everyone's up here cause they're not all there."

This was originally going to be a virtual vacation thread, but I don't do those much anymore and I don't know what all there is to do in Alaska. I've always wanted to go, but I don't really travel anymore and when I did travel unfortunately I never got the chance. So if we have anybody on this message board that's from Alaska or has been there before, please share your stories here. :)
Yes every year since 2017 to go fishing in Hoonah for a week.
And usually spend 2 days in Juneau the capital before returning home. The picture below is of Hoonah from the plane on final decent back in 2019.

Attachments

• DSC_0190.JPG
    DSC_0190.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 4

Forum List

Back