Harvard study: Hey, maybe we’re placing too much emphasis on a college education

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Feb 3, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Harvard study: Hey, maybe we’re placing too much emphasis on a college education Hot Air

Really? No shit? :eusa_doh:

Score one for common sense.

The question is: how do we fix the ridiculous mindset? :eusa_wall:

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    By giving schools more money to set up these programs.

You know throwing money at the problem.

The type of thing the right screams about every time someone tries to fix our schools.

3. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    About 4 years after I graduated, I realized that a year of experience in the real world is far more valuable and educational than 4 years of college. I'm sure its different for Doctors, some Scientists, and other highly technical careers, but for the average 4 year graduate (ESPECIALLY business and management), you will learn more your first year in the real world than you did in the 4 years it took to get the degree.

The degree used to be the key to the door. Not so much any more. It is either expected or completely insignificant. College is to a career as basic training is to the military. It is a proving ground. Not much more.

Me.....I don't even ask about college anymore. I don't care what you studied, or even IF you studied, as long as your attitude is right, you're constantly trying to learn, and you're an honest person. I'd MUCH rather hire a person with 3 years management experience than someone who has made straight A's through 4-8 years of college and/or post grad. The fresh grad knows everything. I've had a BUNCH of employees who knew everything. They are, unequivocally, the worst employees. Very few of them are still with me (only those who embraced reality).

I encourage all of my employees to go to college (even at the expense of losing them), but I also realize college is a waste of time for many. Give me a good person with a great attitude, and you can keep all the Harvard grads, and PhD s.

Me and the flunky will kick your ass :)

4. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,445

hmmm.... I sorta agree with you. more training facilities for trades in high schools is a great idea. business fundamentals training too.

wasnt it the left that did their best to phase out concrete lifeskill training in schools? insisting that everyone should take an academic track and go to college? I don't believe that conservatives would object to reinstating work preparedness in schools, even if they were called evil for supporting it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Only if they were shitty programs designed to make workers and not thinkers

6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    LOL.

And what do we do when everyone is a "thinker" and we have no "workers" to produce?

Have you ever heard of "Economics?"

Its more than just a buzz word :)

7. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,445

hahaha. no sense in letting kids get a head start in job skills when you can have them vegetating and causing trouble in a class that they don't want to be in, right?

8. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    It depends on the career field, the job, the person, and the management. If you work in a place that requires little knowledge of the field coming in (banking, for instance), you are goal-oriented and want to learn, and the management is willing to train and develop you, then yes, a college degree is not going to be very valuable. They will teach you everything you need to know on the job, in time. It will take longer to advance than it would if you had gotten a degree, though, because 4 years of college puts you on the "fast track" ahead of most who don't have a degree.

However, if you want to work in a field that isn't as willing to work with people who are clueless about the field (like, say, architecture), then you're going to need a degree. I can't imagine someone starting in their first year of public accounting (or, in my case, internal audit) without having an accounting degree. They'd be useless to me.

And, of course, you have your doctors, nurses, lawyers, and teachers who most definitely do need some higher education to prepare them for their careers.

So, yes, there are some people and, more accurately, some fields that don't require a college degree. But it's certainly not required to make it to the top.

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    People can think and work at the same time.

Not teaching kids the basics and teaching them only what they need to be a low level worker is cheap but stupid.

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Every HS teacher I know has been saying this for years. Handicapped students who can barely count change are now being "mainsstreamed" into Algebra/Trigonometry classes. It defies logic and it's almost abusive IMHO.

And by forcing non academic kids into college prep programs, it dumbs down the standards for everyone.

We need someone in charge who understands this and REALLY "cares about the children." And the future of this country. I hope this study opens some eyes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1