Harvard accused of bias against Asian-Americans - They need 450 points MORE than blacks on SAT

In terms of being accepted to good colleges today, SATs and other standardized tests are almost ignored. They're obsolete.

Academics, personal essays and recommendations are much more relevant.
Well, that might be the case with smaller schools with small freshman classes but big state university's criteria is primary SATs and grades.

In terms of being accepted to good colleges today, SATs and other standardized tests are almost ignored. They're obsolete.

Well, that might be the case with smaller schools with small freshman classes but big state university's criteria is primary SATs and grades.

UC Berkeley is about the biggest and most prestigious state university in the country, and the above is what I was told by the director of admissions.

As I pointed out before, I was not even asked for my SAT scores when I applied as a transfer student.

The fact that blacks need all these points proves that they're inferior. 50 years of trying and no forward movement!

Now who has the facts and evidence???
There is certainly strong evidence of social inferiority but not genetic inferiority. There has been considerable forward movement over the last 50 years although blacks still fall well behind whites in most economic and educational measures.

In 1964, there were approximately 100 black elected officials. By 1990, there were 10,000. Since then there have been two black secretary of state and our first black president.

The number of Black households earning $100,000 a year or more has increased by 500 percent in the past 50 years, to about one-in-ten of Black households. African Americans have even headed several Fortune 500 companies.

Over the past 50 years, there has been considerable progress in the educational attainments of African Americans, although they still lag behind the level of Whites. In 1966, black graduation rates were half that of whites. . By 2012 it was almost 95 percent that of Whites. In 1966, fewer than four percent of African Americans, compared to more than ten percent of Whites, had college degrees. By 2012, the percentage of African Americans with college degrees had risen to 21.2, compared to 31.3 percent for Whites.

In 1960, only 6.7 percent of African Americans in the labor market were in professional and managerial positions, compared to 26 percent of Whites. By contrast, in 2012, 30 percent of employed African Americans were in professional and managerial positions, compared to 39 percent of employed Whites.

CCF Civil Rights Symposium Are African Americans Living the Dream 50 Years After Passage of the Civil Rights Act Council on Contemporary Families

UC Berkeley is about the biggest and most prestigious state university in the country, and the above is what I was told by the director of admissions.

No it's not. You are lying or exaggerating.

What is your source for these claims?

Thousands of students I have guided through the college application process. UC Berkeley is highly selective, and the vast majority of students accepted fall within a narrow range of GPA and SAT or ACT test scores.

Thousands of students I have guided through the college application process. UC Berkeley is highly selective, and the vast majority of students accepted fall within a narrow range of GPA and SAT or ACT test scores.

GPA matters, of course.

But as far as I have been told, and from my own experience as a current undergraduate at Cal, SAT scores mean less now than they ever did before.

If that's true, it's a bad sign. Bribing teachers to get good grades is epidemic in america. We need standardized tests more than ever

As I pointed out before, I was not even asked for my SAT scores when I applied as a transfer student.
Being a transfer student from another college can be quite different from applying with only a high school diploma. If you're transferring, you have proved yourself capable of doing college work. Some states guarantee admission of community colleges graduates in their state who completed a college transferable program. States that don't usually reserve a percentage of seats for such students.

GPA matters, of course.

But as far as I have been told, and from my own experience as a current undergraduate at Cal, SAT scores mean less now than they ever did before.

College application is more competitive now than ever before.

Forum List

Back