Happy Juneteenth

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Juneteenth 2012: When Did Slavery Really End?

Though President Abraham Lincoln ended slavery with the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, slaves in Texas had no knowledge of their freedom until two and a half years later. On June 19, 1865, Union soldiers arrived in Galveston and declared the end of the Civil War, with General Granger reading aloud a special decree that ordered the freeing of some 200,000 slaves in the state.

Because of the delay, many African Americans started a tradition of celebrating the actual day slavery ended on June 19 (also known as Juneteenth). But for some, their cheers were short-lived. Thanks to the South's lucrative prison labor system and a deceptive practice called debt peonage, a kind of neo-slavery continued for some blacks long into the 1940s. The question then arises: When did African Americans really claim their freedom?

• Banned
gee no answers?

Oh well sometimes black history gets ignored by people who find it uncomfortable.

Now you will know why some blacks celibrate this day

• Banned
Yes it was a republican cali.

back when republicans were the party I would have been a member of.

what we have left now with the republican party is a crumpled shell of a racist insane asylum.

You guys really fuclked up a once great party.

why did you do that?

what we have left now with the republican party is a crumpled shell of a racist insane asylum.

why did you do that?

Bush did it.

why did you do that?

Which of us guys on USMB "fuclked" up the party?

Be specific.

In August 1969, President Nixon issued Executive Order 11478, which required all federal agencies to adopt "affirmative programs for equal employment opportunity." These programs were meant to increase access to education and employment for historically underrepresented minorities, including blacks, Latinos, Asians, women, and disabled persons.

why did you do that?

Bush did it.

Na he wasnt a real Texan he was an east coast transplant.

This was the real Texas sans all the phoney johnny come latelys.

hell those johnnys likely would have told the slaves they were free two and a half years ago.

Oh wait that is what happened

why did you do that?

mostly to piss you off.

Is it working???

Hey, Truthie, answer this post.

why did you do that?

Which of us guys on USMB "fuclked" up the party?

Be specific.

"The Republican Party, not the Democratic Party, West asserted, has consistently fought for individual freedom over the last 150 years. He said Democratic "handouts" to the poor have resulted in a "modern form of slavery."

"West noted that following Republican Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, Republicans supported the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution, which ended slavery, provided for equal protection under the law and gave voting rights to blacks."

"Republican George W. Bush, West said, "signed an omnibus bill that included a voucher program for school children ...," establishing school choice in Washington, D.C."

Blacks have history with Republican Party | NewsChief.com

You should read the whole article you might really learn the truth.*

Juneteenth 2012: When Did Slavery Really End?

Though President Abraham Lincoln ended slavery with the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, slaves in Texas had no knowledge of their freedom until two and a half years later. On June 19, 1865, Union soldiers arrived in Galveston and declared the end of the Civil War, with General Granger reading aloud a special decree that ordered the freeing of some 200,000 slaves in the state.

Because of the delay, many African Americans started a tradition of celebrating the actual day slavery ended on June 19 (also known as Juneteenth). But for some, their cheers were short-lived. Thanks to the South's lucrative prison labor system and a deceptive practice called debt peonage, a kind of neo-slavery continued for some blacks long into the 1940s. The question then arises: When did African Americans really claim their freedom?

African-Americans are STILL only relatively free in the United States.

Any questions, lookup the statistics on the so-called "war on drugs" .. which is nothing more than a war on black people. The biggest users of illegal drugs in the US are white people BY FAR.

gee no answers?

Oh well sometimes black history gets ignored by people who find it uncomfortable.

Now you will know why some blacks celibrate this day

Why would you expect people who don't know their own history to know black history?

What you've posted is absolutely historically correct.

why did you do that?

:0)

Again .. people who don't know their own history.

Don't even know that the Republican Party began as an anti-slavery party.

why did you do that?

Why did I do what? I haven't 'fucked up' any party. I don't have a party. I have a country. Try to keep up. I've already told you this more than once.

Forum List

Back