Huge Black Bear right now!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
There is a huge, bigger than big, Black Bear standing 20 feet from my kitchen window by the bird feeder.

WHAT DO I DO?

MY cat had just come inside....thank God she was not out there...

What should I do? Do I call Animal control? Can they do anything...

I think there is 2 of them....when i opened my back door to peak, a Black bear even bigger than the one I thought was big, ran from the drive way when he heard the door open and the one by the feeder was no longer there...

it could have been the same black bear and I had not seen him go to the driveway but I am thinking since it looked even bigger, it was the Momma bear and the one at the feeder must have been it's young one?

crud crud crud

dont call anyone.....

have they hit the trash cans? the bird feeding has attracted them.....

hook up a hose outside....when they have left....be sure you can get to the hose with ease...
when they come back...turn the hose on them....for some reason this works....

you invaded them.....leave the guns out of it.....how old do the bears look...and i am sure any bear looks bigger in your yard

about a week ago, when we woke up in the morning our bird feeder pole was bent over to the ground and the suet holder was all bent...

we surmised this was one of the big racoons stealing the suet, because we have seen them climb the metal pole of the feeder to get to seeds before...so we started taking in the suet at night.

well NOW WE KNOW it was not a raccoon stealing the suet and bending our bird feeder pole...

Holy crud.

Is the black bear going to come back? What can I do to discourage him her them from coming back?

okay stop the suet...that is just pure fat and the bears love it... they are gonna come back...they see it as a food source...bears will come to deer feeders do you have one of those?

good gosh what a bunch of city people......they are bears...bears are native to that area....

now you could get one of the high pitched fog horns...but that just seems to annoy them more than anything.....

you have to remove all food sources

I can call animal control, but i bet they laugh at me...we are in RURAL...

and there is 500 acres of woods at least, surrounding us and the other 2 homes...and down the road, the loggers have been running...so i think they must be cutting trees down there and maybe this pushed the bears out...

on size, my guess is standing up, about 6 feet, but very very fat and big, maybe 300lbs?

small firecrackers work....but then you are outside scaring bears....not a good idea....

noise is the best thing....o i would be checking my windows lol....make sure they are locked....i wouldnt be cooking out for a while either....

300 lbs is not a big bear....but yea for some reason they are on the move.....just be patient.....

keep the cat and dog in....bear can kill a dog faster than you can imagine....

I can call animal control, but i bet they laugh at me...we are in RURAL...

and there is 500 acres of woods at least, surrounding us and the other 2 homes...and down the road, the loggers have been running...so i think they must be cutting trees down there and maybe this pushed the bears out...

on size, my guess is standing up, about 6 feet, but very very fat and big, maybe 300lbs?

the noise of the loggers will scare them out too.....just be cautious....make a lot of noise when you are outside....you dont want to startle them....co existence is the key but remember they catch you out and you are what.....a right ...a food source...

black bears rarely attack people

small firecrackers work....but then you are outside scaring bears....not a good idea....

noise is the best thing....o i would be checking my windows lol....make sure they are locked....i wouldnt be cooking out for a while either....

Maybe go to an upstairs window and clank some pots and pans together to scare them off.

Then, like you said, remove what attracted them in the first place...Bird feeder suet and any unsecured garbage cans, etc...

care remember above all

take pictures lol

I KNOW!

I ran for the camera, the stupid thing did not have its card in it, and memory was full cuz i had just taken a bunch of pics of my items that i am selling in my shop and had not deleted and reloaded the camera...

well, i don't see them, they must have left?

my cat wants to go outside and I don't want to let her...she is driving me nuts with her meows...

we have no guns, but Dave does and josh does...they are my 2 neighbors...

but i don't want to hurt them, i just want them not to come back, EVER!

care remember above all

take pictures lol

I KNOW!

I ran for the camera, the stupid thing did not have its card in it, and memory was full cuz i had just taken a bunch of pics of my items that i am selling in my shop and had not deleted and reloaded the camera...

well, i don't see them, they must have left?

my cat wants to go outside and I don't want to let her...she is driving me nuts with her meows...

we have no guns, but Dave does and josh does...they are my 2 neighbors...

but i don't want to hurt them, i just want them not to come back, EVER!

Well, you are in their space so that's the price you pay for your home. Go with the advice bones gives... that woman is wise.

Forum List

Back