Happy 60th Birthday B-52 Bomber

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
The physics of air haven’t changed much in the last 60 years. This bird will be flying at age 100.

b52_2.jpg

The B-52 bomber turns 60 photos - CNET

Hell of a aircraft, but very sad the USAF has to fly a 60 year old aircraft design.

Think that they have many others in the arsenal but the 'buf' stil fills its role better than anything else . I'm no flight enthusiast but that what I've heard for years . I used to see them at KI Sawyer airbase up close on the ground and I would see them once in awhile as they were getting ready to land .

yep , that's what I hear , I hear talk that they'll be good for another 40 years .

The physics of air haven’t changed much in the last 60 years. This bird will be flying at age 100.

b52_2.jpg

The B-52 bomber turns 60 photos - CNET

i believe it is much older than 60 y.o., i have a photo of my oldest cousin, Leroy, who was crew chief of a B-52 standing next to the front L.G. dated May, 1956AD, the #1100 is stenciled on the L.G. door.

anyone know what that #1100 meant ?

The reason why the b-52 bomber is still around 60 years later has everything to do with design & capability.

The b-52 represents the pinnicle of long range multi engine bomber design. You can't build them any better even today. You can build them different, but in the end they won't be any better.

The same is true for the b-29 bomber introduced during WWII.

Using propeller driven piston engines even with today's technology we'd be hard pressed to substantially improve on the planes overall capability because maximum capability had already been achieved with its original design way back in 1943.

Heh.

Hillary's older than the B-52!

Forum List

Back