Handover of sovereignty in Iraq will take place Monday, two days before the June 30 d

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Iraq is a sovereign nation again! The handover was completed two days early.

In my opinion, this was a very smart move as it circumented the terrorists, keeping them from doing anything and it kept the markets from getting anxiety pangs!

Very good move!

Handover of sovereignty in Iraq will take place Monday, two days before the June 30 deadline previously announced, diplomatic sources tell CNN. Details soon.
BREAKING NEWS

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Iraq is a sovereign nation again! The handover was completed two days early.

In my opinion, this was a very smart move as it circumented the terrorists, keeping them from doing anything and it kept the markets from getting anxiety pangs!

Very good move!

BREAKING NEWS

Now that's cool! That poll backing the new government must have helped. Good luck to Iraq!

Good luck to the people of Iraq !!! Brilliant move to do it earlier than advertised!---We CAN keep a secret!

Originally posted by dilloduck
Good luck to the people of Iraq !!! Brilliant move to do it earlier than advertised!---We CAN keep a secret!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Be nice of the libs to give em a few hours before they begin to discredit the interim Iraqi leaders----think they can do it?

Be nice of the libs to give em a few hours before they begin to discredit the interim Iraqi leaders----think they can do it?

I would imagine that the a*******I in Falluja are trying to figure what to do NOW. Wouldn't be surprised to see several beheadings in hours. Imagine some pretty big explosions too.

i hope the iraqis have a better time of gathering intelligence than we did... if they can, it will make the specter of terrorism less effective.

i don't see why the iraqis who've begun to despise the coalition occupation wouldn't support their gov't, but then again, this is the middle east, nothing would surprise me

wonder if syria and iran will give iraq's borders a break?

what happens if they ramp up the entrance of foreign fighters?

when are the NATO troops/trainers arriving?

the iraqis are gonna need that help/training quick

Originally posted by NATO AIR
i hope the Iraqis have a better time of gathering intelligence than we did... if they can, it will make the specter of terrorism less effective.

Actually, our intelligence has been pretty good. How else do you think we have caught so many of the bad guys? We even rescued some hostages. Damn, what do you want?

i don't see why the Iraqis who've begun to despise the coalition occupation wouldn't support their govt, but then again, this is the middle east, nothing would surprise me.

The Iraqi's really do not despise the "occupation" force. They are now beginning to despise the terrorists that have come from other nations to kill other Iraqis. The foreign terrorists are killing more Iraqi civilians than the US is and that is coming back to haunt them. Watch something other than CNN would ya?

wonder if Syria and Iran will give Iraq's borders a break?

Probably not. In that part of the world nobody really respects borders all that much unless they are at war with each other. The nomads roam the deserts moving from country to country without any impediments. That is why smuggling is so difficult to protect against.

what happens if they ramp up the entrance of foreign fighters?

Not sure what you mean by that. But if you are saying what if the new government invites the foreign fighters, you are nuts. The Iraqis don't want the US occupying them and they sure as hell don't want a Saudi, Egyptian, Jordanian, etc. occupying them. If they invite terrorists into the country, they know they are only inviting trouble. Not only from the US, but from the terrorists that will eventually try to overthrow them.

when are the NATO troops/trainers arriving?

I would say within a month - tops. Don't forget, the UN already has close to 150K troops there already (the USA is part of NATO).

the Iraqis are gonna need that help/training quick

Yep. But now that they are in control, the Iraqi citizens are not going to let the foreign insurgents keep up the shenanigans.

Overall, this is a good day for America as well as Iraq.

BUSH in 2004!

Too late. I was just watching a little debate thingy on FoxNews a few hours ago. The one guy was already calling the interim government a sick joke on the Iraqi people.

-Douglas

Originally posted by Shazbot
Too late. I was just watching a little debate thingy on FoxNews a few hours ago. The one guy was already calling the interim government a sick joke on the Iraqi people.

-Douglas

Yep, and naturally the first aggressive action by this government to oppose any insurgency I bet the house that the very next argument from the Liberal camp will be "We've created another Saddam".

I'll bet the house and car on it.

what a surprise---the dems are getting just too "positive " aren't they. Whatever would we do without all thier "help" .

our intelligence was not so good. if it was so great, the dozens of terrorist bombings that have killed hundreds of Iraqis and coalition personnel would not have happened, or at least not so many of them. i'll give the CIA, FBI and local police forces from America, Europe, Israel and Jordan credit.... they've caught and foiled many a terrorist scheme (and privately who knows how many they have stopped?). our brave men and women serving in the coalition were not so successful. we got caught off guard by what, two seperate insurgencies at two different times?

and these terrorists/insurgents got very unlucky on numerous occasions (the hit on paul bremer, attacks on other VIP targets and high profile military targets). if lady luck had been kind to them, the great skill and ability of our soldiers might not have been enough to stop some even more devastating attacks.

a final note on the intel: i'll go with thomas friedman (iraq war supporter) and his take on why the iraqis should be able to get better intel than us:
"I believe the main reason the Abu Ghraib prison scandal happened was because U.S. forces in Iraq were facing an uprising and had no intelligence. Too few Iraqis viewed us as legitimate or able to protect them, so they did not want to, or dare to, come forward with actionable intelligence about who was attacking us. As a result, some U.S. forces tried to beat it out of them. The big question I have going forward in Iraq is this: Now that a new, decent and diverse Iraqi government will have sovereignty, will Iraqis, particularly from the Sunni Triangle, come forward with the intelligence needed for Iraq's fledgling army to break the violent opposition in Iraq, largely on its own — that is, with the help of the Iraqi people and not us? "

link: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/o...Opinion/Editorials and Op-Ed/Op-Ed/Columnists

point is, the CPA/liberation&stabilization forces got their butts handed to them on numerous occasions, and only thru hard work and dedication did our soldiers pull this out, thank God.

i would be honored to see a legit poll or indicator showing the majority of the iraqi people are happy that we're there (within the past 6 months) or pleased with our presence. even iraqis are prone to the famous arab pride and inferority complex: it probably grated a large number of iraqis to see foreigners running the show and in their holy cities... why do you think we've been so careful not to give bin laden and co. more propoganda points? after a certain point a few months ago, the population turned against our presence there.

on ramping up the foreign fighters.. i mean iran and syria. will they to destabilize the situation? will they try to help the desperate insurgents and terrorists who will try anything to stop iraq from suceeding? a strong iraq is not in their best interests.

on iraq suceeding and getting the training it needs, i agree... i think with this PM they've got (much better than chalabi), they'll win the day. they hopefully will win the support of a good percent of the population and get some good intel and support. its their time to shine, ours to support and pray. hopefully the kurds won't get offended or worried and the insurgents fail.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/iraq_us_soldier_killed

Report: Iraqi Militants Kill U.S. Soldier

57 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi militants killed an American soldier they have held hostage for nearly three months, saying the killing was because the U.S. government did not change its policy in Iraq (news - web sites), Al-Jazeera television reported Tuesday.

News of the killing of Spc. Keith M. Maupin, 20, of Batavia, Ohio, came hours after the United States returned sovereignty in Iraq to an interim government. The report did not say when Maupin was killed.

Maupin was captured during an ambush on a convoy west of Baghdad on April 9.

The Arab satellite station aired video showing a blindfolded man sitting on the ground. Al-Jazeera said that in the next scene, gunmen shoot the man in the back of the head, in front of a hole dug in the ground. It did not show the killing....

desperate times bring desperate measures for desperate people... what happens to that captured marine now? i hope they find him soon, this is disgusting watching captured people be executed.

i just hope beyond hope they don't get lucky and assassinate the new PM, he really seems like he's the one to save iraq.

Forum List

Back