not the smartest move by insurgents.

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by DKSuddeth, Jun 28, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    kidnapped marine threatened with beheading

DUBAI (Reuters) - An Iraqi Islamist group has kidnapped what is said was a U.S. Marine and is threatening to behead him unless Iraqi prisoners are freed, Al Jazeera television reported Sunday.
    Al Jazeera said the group called itself the Islamic Response Movement. A brief video showed a blindfolded man dressed in camouflage and a Marine Corps identity card that named him as Wassef Ali Hassoun.

Jazeera said the group threatened to kill him if Iraqi prisoners were not released.

I'm guessing that if they actually kill this marine, they're not going to enjoy the response since it will be FAR from the one they're expecting. :tank: :blowup: :2guns: :firing:

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    If he is not released UNHARMED, I would want to be in the same town with his captors. Time to let the marines loose!!:firing: :firing: :firing: :firing: :firing:

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    do we still have free reign or do we have to consult/ask the iraqi gov't for permission to seek n destroy his captors if they kill him?

4. Shazbot

Shazbot Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This move seems really ironic - the Marine is a muslim from Lebanon. But then again, I guess most of the deaths over there lately have been Iraqis, not Americans.

-Douglas

5. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I heard on the news as I was driving home tonight that the Marine was 'on unauthorized leave' and heading to Lebanon when he was kidnapped... anyone else hear this?

DK, you were in the Marines, what do you think? Going AWOL in a war zone isn't usually something one does...

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I heard something like this also. First reports were that he was 'lured' by his captors. Heard that he was missing for a week, so who knows? Anyway you look at it, the Marines aren't going to like it.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I got my information scrambled as today I was ....PREOCCUPIED.

I thought that the capured marine was a lebanese CHRISTIAN interpreter.

I probably have 2 different guys confused.

I have a hard time understanding why they would nail a muslim. In truth, I don't think there are any REAL muslims in Iraq in our military unless it is that they have a salad bar philosophy with the koran.

8. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well, the news report I heard said he was a muslim and was heading to Lebanon on unauthorized leave.

And there have been cases of muslims with issues in the US military... remember right before we invaded there was the grenade-throwing incident by a muslim U.S. soldier into a tent full of 101st Airborne officers?

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The report I was referring to was early this morning. I just did a google search and dug up nothing so I must have it confused. Apparently he is muslim -or claims to be.

10. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Fox and evening news reports him as a Muslim. He lives in NE Utah. I believe they said his family migrated here from Lebanon in 1980. The reports stated that the Mosque where he lives and the local christian churches were all praying for him.