not the smartest move by insurgents.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
kidnapped marine threatened with beheading

DUBAI (Reuters) - An Iraqi Islamist group has kidnapped what is said was a U.S. Marine and is threatening to behead him unless Iraqi prisoners are freed, Al Jazeera television reported Sunday.
Al Jazeera said the group called itself the Islamic Response Movement. A brief video showed a blindfolded man dressed in camouflage and a Marine Corps identity card that named him as Wassef Ali Hassoun.

Jazeera said the group threatened to kill him if Iraqi prisoners were not released.

I'm guessing that if they actually kill this marine, they're not going to enjoy the response since it will be FAR from the one they're expecting. :tank: :blowup: :2guns: :firing:

If he is not released UNHARMED, I would want to be in the same town with his captors. Time to let the marines loose!!:firing: :firing: :firing: :firing: :firing:

This move seems really ironic - the Marine is a muslim from Lebanon. But then again, I guess most of the deaths over there lately have been Iraqis, not Americans.

-Douglas

I heard on the news as I was driving home tonight that the Marine was 'on unauthorized leave' and heading to Lebanon when he was kidnapped... anyone else hear this?

DK, you were in the Marines, what do you think? Going AWOL in a war zone isn't usually something one does...

Originally posted by NightTrain
I heard on the news as I was driving home tonight that the Marine was 'on unauthorized leave' and heading to Lebanon when he was kidnapped... anyone else hear this?

DK, you were in the Marines, what do you think? Going AWOL in a war zone isn't usually something one does...

I heard something like this also. First reports were that he was 'lured' by his captors. Heard that he was missing for a week, so who knows? Anyway you look at it, the Marines aren't going to like it.

Maybe I got my information scrambled as today I was ....PREOCCUPIED.

I thought that the capured marine was a lebanese CHRISTIAN interpreter.

I probably have 2 different guys confused.

I have a hard time understanding why they would nail a muslim. In truth, I don't think there are any REAL muslims in Iraq in our military unless it is that they have a salad bar philosophy with the koran.

Well, the news report I heard said he was a muslim and was heading to Lebanon on unauthorized leave.

And there have been cases of muslims with issues in the US military... remember right before we invaded there was the grenade-throwing incident by a muslim U.S. soldier into a tent full of 101st Airborne officers?

The report I was referring to was early this morning. I just did a google search and dug up nothing so I must have it confused. Apparently he is muslim -or claims to be.

Originally posted by NewGuy
The report I was referring to was early this morning. I just did a google search and dug up nothing so I must have it confused. Apparently he is muslim -or claims to be.

Fox and evening news reports him as a Muslim. He lives in NE Utah. I believe they said his family migrated here from Lebanon in 1980. The reports stated that the Mosque where he lives and the local christian churches were all praying for him.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Fox and evening news reports him as a Muslim. He lives in NE Utah. I believe they said his family migrated here from Lebanon in 1980. The reports stated that the Mosque where he lives and the local christian churches were all praying for him.

Oddly enough, that could be what I was going off of.

It was a quick trip through the house on the way out the door.

I caught 5 seconds of background noise about it and out the door I went.

Originally posted by NightTrain

certainly not in a war zone. my feelings are that he was on a 'charity mission' for personal reasons, but I want to hear more about it first.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
certainly not in a war zone. my feelings are that he was on a 'charity mission' for personal reasons, but I want to hear more about it first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/30/international/middleeast/30MARI.html?th

INSURGENTS
Abducted Marine Had Reportedly Deserted
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN and NICK MADIGAN

Published: June 30, 2004

AGHDAD, Iraq, June 29 — The American marine who is being threatened by his kidnappers with beheading had deserted the military because he was emotionally traumatized, and was abducted by his captors while trying to make his way home to his native Lebanon, a Marine officer said Tuesday.

The officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said he believed that Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun was betrayed by Iraqis he befriended on his base and ended up in the hands of Islamic extremists.

The officer said Corporal Hassoun, a 24-year-old Marine linguist who was born in Lebanon, was shaken up after he saw one of his sergeants blown apart by a mortar shell.

"It was very disturbing to him," the officer said. "He wanted to go home and quit the game, but since he was relatively early in his deployment, that was not going to happen anytime soon. So he talked to some folks on base he befriended, because they were all fellow Muslims, and they helped sneak him off. Once off, instead of helping him get home, they turned him over to the bad guys."

"It's all we know right now," the officer added.....

that is sick, they betrayed him then, just like they betrayed that johnson fellow... yea these guys are "true muslims"

poor guy, i mean desertion is bad, but he's still a marine and under the circumstances, that's rough stuff seeing your sarge blown apart... oh well

its war

Originally posted by Shazbot
This move seems really ironic - the Marine is a muslim from Lebanon. But then again, I guess most of the deaths over there lately have been Iraqis, not Americans.

-Douglas

It just goes to show you that they don't care who they kill. Even one of theirs. That is all they understand. Violence and death.
A typical muslim morning, after coffee, sounds something like this: "hey yosef what do you want to do today? Lets make a bomb and kill lots of people."
During the allied occupation of Germany after WW2 there were resistance groups doing the same thing. They planted bombs and killed as many people as they could. When the allies caught any of them they were given the firing squad. Plain and simple.
Then something happened. After 6 years of world war and millions of deaths the German people rallied against the resistance groups. They were tired of death and destruction and the resistance finally fizzled and a German democracy was born.
Sounds familiar doesn't it? Except for the part of getting tired of death and destruction. Muslims don't seem to get tired of that.
Don't yell at me because I seem to group all muslims together but after watching the news everyday for the past 2 decades I can't help it.
While I am on the subject of post WW2. Who was the brain surgeon that picked the location of Israel?(I know who they were, just making a point.) That's where I would want to live. Surrounded by my mortal enemies.

Forum List

Back