H1N1 Outbreak Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage

LOL

No one's making money off of this.

They won't ask for more funding to provide more "beds"? So they have a way to do this for free and someone just wanted to publish a hype story again? :eek:

Um. More beds?

Where do you propose they put these beds? And who is going to care for those in the beds?

Exactly. ;) So people are making money off this scare. See how that works? Every time some "crisis" comes up there has always been a way to profit off it, yet none of these have happened.

I'm hoping that before an outbreak to the magnitude that you describe, that members of the community self-quarantine themselves to prevent becoming infected.

As we all know, one cannot be infected with influenza if one is not coming in contact with infected humans.
When the hospital ID doc starting sending out emails on the flu, I sent one to him and the infection control nurse and told her the hospital better get ahead of this and instruct the managers to lay off berating staff for being out sick. Although the "official" stance is they don't want you to come to work if you're ill, in reality you're questioned and bullied and made to feel guilty if you call in---in addition to a ridiculous absence policy that would put most people's jobs in jeopardy if they were to come down with this and be out for the expected 7-10 days (or longer). I pointed out to her that the bullying / guilt-trip attitudes and making people feel their jobs were at risk would guarantee staff would work sick.

I'm happy to say that the next newsletter announced a new policy that staff would be granted 7 days off without it counting as an absence and any further time off (for staff or for them to care for family members) would be approved for FMLA.

No one knows I was behind this; my manager would have a fit if she knew. She's already been raked across the coals for making the person I mentioned above come in while still sick. The IC nurse was making rounds and saw her. Sent her home immediately and tore the manager a new one.

At our hospital, if you have a fever of 100 and cough or sore throat, you are automatically out for 7 days or 24 hours after your last fever, whichever is longer. Plus you have to be cleared by employee health.

They won't ask for more funding to provide more "beds"? So they have a way to do this for free and someone just wanted to publish a hype story again? :eek:

Um. More beds?

Where do you propose they put these beds? And who is going to care for those in the beds?

Exactly. ;) So people are making money off this scare. See how that works? Every time some "crisis" comes up there has always been a way to profit off it, yet none of these have happened.

KK...

You're not making any sense. They aren't going to be building additional hospital rooms built to deal with this. Hospitals will convert patient rooms currently used for offices, storage, etc. IF they have the staff to cover those extra beds, but that isn't going to add beds, because those potential patient rooms are part of the hospitals bed count.

Um. More beds?

KK...

You're not making any sense. They aren't going to be building additional hospital rooms built to deal with this. Hospitals will convert patient rooms currently used for offices, storage, etc. IF they have the staff to cover those extra beds, but that isn't going to add beds, because those potential patient rooms are part of the hospitals bed count.

Talking to KK about healthcare and medicine is like talking to Terral about reality.

KK...

Talking to KK about healthcare and medicine is like talking to Terral about reality.

Naw, it would equate more to talking to Rush about liberals or Michael about corporations. ;)

At our hospital, if you have a fever of 100 and cough or sore throat, you are automatically out for 7 days or 24 hours after your last fever, whichever is longer. Plus you have to be cleared by employee health.
Here, they've changed that from 24 hours afebrile without antipyretics to the CDC recommendations of 7 days or symptom-free, whichever is longer (after cleared by employee health).

Surveillance of healthcare personnel

In communities where novel H1N1 virus transmission is occurring, healthcare personnel should be monitored daily for signs and symptoms of febrile respiratory illness. Healthcare personnel who develop these symptoms should be instructed not to report to work, or if at work, should cease patient care activities and notify their supervisor and infection control personnel.

In communities without novel H1N1 virus transmission, healthcare personnel working in areas of a facility where there are patients being assessed or isolated for novel H1N1 infection should be monitored daily for signs and symptoms of febrile respiratory infection. This would include healthcare personnel exposed to patients in an outpatient setting or the emergency department. Healthcare personnel who develop these symptoms should be instructed not to report to work, or if at work, should cease patient care activities and notify their supervisor and infection control personnel.

Healthcare personnel who do not have a febrile respiratory illness may continue to work. Asymptomatic healthcare personnel who have had an unprotected exposure to novel H1N1 also may continue to work if they are started on antiviral prophylaxis. (See Interim Guidance on Antiviral Recommendations for Patients with Novel Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection and Their Close Contacts).

Management of ill healthcare personnel

Healthcare personnel should not report to work if they have a febrile respiratory illness.
In communities where novel H1N1 transmission is occurring, healthcare personnel who develop a febrile respiratory illness should be excluded from work for 7 days or until symptoms have resolved, whichever is longer.

In communities without novel H1N1 transmission, healthcare personnel who develop a febrile respiratory illness and have been working in areas of the hospital where swine influenza patients are present, should be excluded from work for 7 days or until symptoms have resolved, whichever is longer.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting

KK...

Naw, it would equate more to talking to Rush about liberals or Michael about corporations. ;)

I'm not really sure who Michael is, but yeah...Rush is pretty misinformed.

Swine Flu Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage - US News and World Report

There could be a shortage of hospital beds in 15 states if 35 percent of Americans get sick from the H1N1 (swine) flu virus, and 12 other states could reach or exceed 75 percent of their hospital bed capacity, a study released Thursday shows.

-------

The 15 states that could be at capacity or exceed hospital bed capacity are: Arizona (117 percent); California (125 percent); Connecticut (148 percent); Delaware (203 percent); Hawaii (143 percent); Maryland (143 percent); Massachusetts (110 percent); Nevada (137 percent); New Jersey (101 percent); New York (108 percent); Oregon (107 percent); Rhode Island (143 percent); Vermont (108 percent); Virginia (100 percent); and Washington (107 percent).

I see we're in there.

This is going to be a bad season. We're already beginning to have nursing staff out sick with this (one has been off for over 3 weeks now). Not only are beds going to be tight, but staffing to care for them is going to be reduced as well.

There is no such thing as H1N1 or even viruses. It's all a government conspiracy to inject your body full of mind controlling toxins in order to make you vote Democrat and turn everyone into a bisexual.

Everyone should avoid western medicine and chew on rhubarb. That alone will keep you healthy and, in actuality, confer immortality on you. It's a little known secret that our ancestors discovered 6000 years ago when the world was created. I read all about it in Dr. Kevin Trudeau M.D., D.O., Ph.D., MBA, J.D., M.A., B.A., B.S., B.S.M,'s book "Hidden Herbal Secrets That the Borg Overmind Doesn't Want You To Know About".

All health care providers are really government propaganda agents and to be viewed with suspicion.

As soon as we prove that Obama is a Kenyan, we will deport him and the entire medical establishment to Bora Bora.

Gee KK, I wonder if you'll change your mind if you get the swine flu and end up in one of those overcrowded hospitals. Though I suppose if you actually get better and go back to the real world, you'll soon forget the lessons you learned. Much like Glenn Beck.

I'm hoping that before an outbreak to the magnitude that you describe, that members of the community self-quarantine themselves to prevent becoming infected.

As we all know, one cannot be infected with influenza if one is not coming in contact with infected humans.

Yeah, some common sense goes a long ways. Too bad it's not common.

After I was exposed to H1N1, my elderly grandmother came through town who had just come out of surgery and had a trach in. I went and asked our microbiologist what his thoughts were and we started figuring out the incubation period.

In the end, I didn't go and see her, though her hotel was on my drive home.

Just not worth it.

Gee KK, I wonder if you'll change your mind if you get the swine flu and end up in one of those overcrowded hospitals. Though I suppose if you actually get better and go back to the real world, you'll soon forget the lessons you learned. Much like Glenn Beck.

People fear what they don't understand. Especially when they can't see it (i.e. pathogens).

Rejection is a natural (though unhealthy) response to fear.

That about sums it up, IMO.

There is no such thing as H1N1 or even viruses. It's all a government conspiracy to inject your body full of mind controlling toxins in order to make you vote Democrat and turn everyone into a bisexual.

Everyone should avoid western medicine and chew on rhubarb. That alone will keep you healthy and, in actuality, confer immortality on you. It's a little known secret that our ancestors discovered 6000 years ago when the world was created. I read all about it in Dr. Kevin Trudeau M.D., D.O., Ph.D., MBA, J.D., M.A., B.A., B.S., B.S.M,'s book "Hidden Herbal Secrets That the Borg Overmind Doesn't Want You To Know About".

All health care providers are really government propaganda agents and to be viewed with suspicion.

As soon as we prove that Obama is a Kenyan, we will deport him and the entire medical establishment to Bora Bora.

Rhubarb :rofl:

*hugs* my friend!

Meh, I get the flu every once in a while, I probably already had it last year. ;)

Rhubarb :rofl:

*hugs* my friend!

That was for you, my friend.

When I saw H1N1 knock my friend on her ass for a solid week, I became a believer.

No not Virginia... Any state (commonwelth) but Virginia... Well better get on the list for a shot then. :doubt:
Go to Gloucester WalMart you will see two ACORN'ish ladies in jeans and a raggy T-Shirt give free flu shots.

:lol:

This isn't a joke, I actually saw this at my wal mart. I wouldn't get a shot from them for nothing!

Last edited:
my son's room mate has it, he is 22 years old. Symptom's: Felt sick, threw up twice, now feeling better after the 2nd day. ER confirmed H1N1 lol

Swine Flu Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage - US News and World Report

There could be a shortage of hospital beds in 15 states if 35 percent of Americans get sick from the H1N1 (swine) flu virus, and 12 other states could reach or exceed 75 percent of their hospital bed capacity, a study released Thursday shows.

-------

The 15 states that could be at capacity or exceed hospital bed capacity are: Arizona (117 percent); California (125 percent); Connecticut (148 percent); Delaware (203 percent); Hawaii (143 percent); Maryland (143 percent); Massachusetts (110 percent); Nevada (137 percent); New Jersey (101 percent); New York (108 percent); Oregon (107 percent); Rhode Island (143 percent); Vermont (108 percent); Virginia (100 percent); and Washington (107 percent).

I see we're in there.

This is going to be a bad season. We're already beginning to have nursing staff out sick with this (one has been off for over 3 weeks now). Not only are beds going to be tight, but staffing to care for them is going to be reduced as well.

:lol:

:clap2:

Damn that was good.

The scary part: A dear friend really believes that Kevin Trudeau shit from cover to cover.

Scarier part: She's a nurse!

*munches on a rhubarb*

When the hospital ID doc starting sending out emails on the flu, I sent one to him and the infection control nurse and told her the hospital better get ahead of this and instruct the managers to lay off berating staff for being out sick. Although the "official" stance is they don't want you to come to work if you're ill, in reality you're questioned and bullied and made to feel guilty if you call in---in addition to a ridiculous absence policy that would put most people's jobs in jeopardy if they were to come down with this and be out for the expected 7-10 days (or longer). I pointed out to her that the bullying / guilt-trip attitudes and making people feel their jobs were at risk would guarantee staff would work sick.

I'm happy to say that the next newsletter announced a new policy that staff would be granted 7 days off without it counting as an absence and any further time off (for staff or for them to care for family members) would be approved for FMLA.

No one knows I was behind this; my manager would have a fit if she knew. She's already been raked across the coals for making the person I mentioned above come in while still sick. The IC nurse was making rounds and saw her. Sent her home immediately and tore the manager a new one.

7 days minimum? Sweet!

Forum List

Back