H1N1 Outbreak Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage

Emma

Evil Liberal Leftist™
Swine Flu Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage - US News and World Report

There could be a shortage of hospital beds in 15 states if 35 percent of Americans get sick from the H1N1 (swine) flu virus, and 12 other states could reach or exceed 75 percent of their hospital bed capacity, a study released Thursday shows.

-------

The 15 states that could be at capacity or exceed hospital bed capacity are: Arizona (117 percent); California (125 percent); Connecticut (148 percent); Delaware (203 percent); Hawaii (143 percent); Maryland (143 percent); Massachusetts (110 percent); Nevada (137 percent); New Jersey (101 percent); New York (108 percent); Oregon (107 percent); Rhode Island (143 percent); Vermont (108 percent); Virginia (100 percent); and Washington (107 percent).

I see we're in there.

This is going to be a bad season. We're already beginning to have nursing staff out sick with this (one has been off for over 3 weeks now). Not only are beds going to be tight, but staffing to care for them is going to be reduced as well.

In this area at least, it's hitting children pretty hard. Almost half the cases (if I recall correctly). The ped unit is already seeing admissions for H1N1, and they only have 20 beds. We're being cross-trained in ped/onc so that we can take their over-flow. That's something I'd rather not do :(

Al wee weed up about swine flu.

Good thing Obama has those FEMA detention camps ho handle the overflow

An asteroid the size on Manhattan hitting Earth would cause a bed shortage too.

We're all wee weed up about bacon flu

Why can't we live in Cuba or France or some other wonderful country that has national health Care, 4 hospital beds, no MRI machines and no real doctors?

No not Virginia... Any state (commonwelth) but Virginia... Well better get on the list for a shot then. :doubt:

Are you in one of the high risk groups? Even though healthcare workers are considered to be high risk, the number of vaccines we're getting won't be enough to cover all employees. They're starting with those who are most often exposed to those at risk.

No not Virginia... Any state (commonwelth) but Virginia... Well better get on the list for a shot then. :doubt:

Are you in one of the high risk groups? Even though healthcare workers are considered to be high risk, the number of vaccines we're getting won't be enough to cover all employees. They're starting with those who are most often exposed to those at risk.

Well I am under 25 which by itself is a high risk for this virus (which does not like to play by the rules) but many of my friends are still in college so I have a good chance of catching it although I am sure nothing severe will happen to me. That is nothing more than a major inconvenience and 7 days away from work which at my job might as well be an eternity.

I'm hoping that before an outbreak to the magnitude that you describe, that members of the community self-quarantine themselves to prevent becoming infected.

As we all know, one cannot be infected with influenza if one is not coming in contact with infected humans.

I'm hoping that before an outbreak to the magnitude that you describe, that members of the community self-quarantine themselves to prevent becoming infected.

As we all know, one cannot be infected with influenza if one is not coming in contact with infected humans.
When the hospital ID doc starting sending out emails on the flu, I sent one to him and the infection control nurse and told her the hospital better get ahead of this and instruct the managers to lay off berating staff for being out sick. Although the "official" stance is they don't want you to come to work if you're ill, in reality you're questioned and bullied and made to feel guilty if you call in---in addition to a ridiculous absence policy that would put most people's jobs in jeopardy if they were to come down with this and be out for the expected 7-10 days (or longer). I pointed out to her that the bullying / guilt-trip attitudes and making people feel their jobs were at risk would guarantee staff would work sick.

I'm happy to say that the next newsletter announced a new policy that staff would be granted 7 days off without it counting as an absence and any further time off (for staff or for them to care for family members) would be approved for FMLA.

No one knows I was behind this; my manager would have a fit if she knew. She's already been raked across the coals for making the person I mentioned above come in while still sick. The IC nurse was making rounds and saw her. Sent her home immediately and tore the manager a new one.

Forum List

Back