H.R.3806 — One Subject at a Time Act

If Americans could learn to work together - left and right - on the areas where we agree: such as insider trading, piggybacking... and, dare I hope, earmarking.... we could, in theory, eat this elephant.... one bite at a time.

I agree, the elephant is the problem. :D

Yea, thanks for - again - proving that partisan sniping is more important to you than the country. It is, frankly, why I rarely make an effort to engage in any intelligent discussion on this board. I promised a liberal buddy that I would try and I have.

Nah, you're just being a douchebag with no sense of humor. Disappointing..., AGAIN!!!

I’d rather read about the House enacting legislation to assist the current economic recovery and job creation, not measures designed to get their authors reelected.

The House is doing a dreadful job of prioritizing.

:lol:riiiiight.......

they did pass a budget last august...whats yup with that? Reid says now, he will not even bring a budget, any budget to the floor, period.

I thought it might be kind of cool to see if there are bills that both Dems and GOP support... kind of 'if we can agree, why can't congress' kind of thing.

So, to start with: Bill HR 3806 - One Subject at a Time Act

What does it do: To end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by Congress be limited to only one subject, and for other purposes.

The 'no piggybacking' bill.

I support it. Far too often, bills are used by partisan hacks in congress to force the other side to vote against a good bill because of the shit that gets tacked on. This, in turn, leads one side to accuse the other of some bullshit... a classic example is 'the XXX hate the troops because they voted down XXX'. I think this disgusting, divisive practice is used to divide Americans and divert attention from our utterly incompetent congress critters.

Read the bill:

The bill H.R.3806 from congress to force congress not to be corrupt: One Subject at a Time Act – To end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by Congress be limited to only one subj

So, guy... what say you? One subject at a time... or bullshit as usual?

Some background on "Riders":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_(legislation)

I, ah, ahem, ah, oh crap! I agree with CG. Riders should go, super majorities too and the Senate rules need to be revised.

I agree. And it would take away one of the sticks that both sides use to beat the other with.
As well as eliminate a lot of bullshit pork.

You people are naive if you think the guys who make the rules about bills would write a bill in which they couldn't get around the rules.

The only thing that will get rid of a lot of pork will be the invasion of a barbarian hoard of Islamists.
I said it would be a good idea. I didn't say I was confident it would happen.

Good idea, but doesn't solve the root problem of government, the auction of votes to special interests for campaign contributions.

If Americans could learn to work together - left and right - on the areas where we agree: such as insider trading, piggybacking... and, dare I hope, earmarking.... we could, in theory, eat this elephant.... one bite at a time.

I agree, the elephant is the problem. :D
You talk a good game about blaming both sides...but when it comes down to it, you don't blame the left very much.

I’d rather read about the House enacting legislation to assist the current economic recovery and job creation, not measures designed to get their authors reelected.

They have. But they're sitting on Harry Reid's desk because he doesn't want to take a chance on the GOP getting credit for anything.

He puts party before country. Much like you do.

They have. But they're sitting on Harry Reid's desk because he doesn't want to take a chance on the GOP getting credit for anything.

He puts party before country. Much like you do.

No they are not siting on Reid's desk, he does not want to keep any evidence of Republicans trying to jump start obama's economy so he threw them away.

I thought it might be kind of cool to see if there are bills that both Dems and GOP support... kind of 'if we can agree, why can't congress' kind of thing.

So, to start with: Bill HR 3806 - One Subject at a Time Act

What does it do: To end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by Congress be limited to only one subject, and for other purposes.

The 'no piggybacking' bill.

I support it. Far too often, bills are used by partisan hacks in congress to force the other side to vote against a good bill because of the shit that gets tacked on. This, in turn, leads one side to accuse the other of some bullshit... a classic example is 'the XXX hate the troops because they voted down XXX'. I think this disgusting, divisive practice is used to divide Americans and divert attention from our utterly incompetent congress critters.

Read the bill:

The bill H.R.3806 from congress to force congress not to be corrupt: One Subject at a Time Act – To end the practice of including more than one subject in a single bill by requiring that each bill enacted by Congress be limited to only one subj

So, guy... what say you? One subject at a time... or bullshit as usual?

Some background on "Riders":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_(legislation)

I, ah, ahem, ah, oh crap! I agree with CG. Riders should go, super majorities too and the Senate rules need to be revised.

Hell has officially frozen over.

In fact, I'm considering whether we need a new approach to the whole 'bill' process... perhaps that any bill must have a certain number of votes from BOTH sides of the aisle? Think about it... they'd have no choice but to compromise. Would that lead to better bills - that represent ALL Americans and not just one side or the other?

The primary reason we're seeing improvement is because those numb-nuts in Washington aren't doing anything to screw things up.

Forum List

Back