Gym Bans Police and Military from Joining

Looks like a "safe space" for a robbery.

And you know what ... police will respond there when there's trouble. It's just what we do.

Yep. And they would protect the owner if need be.
The owner said he wouldn't accept it without a warrant:
Atlanta gym owner makes no apologies for 'No Cops' sign
The Atlanta Police Department would not comment on the policy, but told 11Alive News, "Were we to respond to an emergency there, this sign would not stop us from lawfully doing our job."

"If they have a warrant, they can go anywhere they want, but we're not breaking the law," Chambers said.

The question now is what happens if Chambers or anyone inside the gym needs the police.

Chambers says they never have, and won't ever need the help of officers. He says he plans to put the 'No Cop' sign back up without the foul language.

Lawyers we talked with found the policy strange, but said because law enforcement officers are not a protected class under the law, only the courts can decide if EAV Barbell Club is violating any anti-discrimination laws.

No warrant required to enter a premise on the belief that a crime is being committed. A warrant is required to conduct a lawful search.

And you know what ... police will respond there when there's trouble. It's just what we do.

The Atlanta Police Department would not comment on the policy, but told 11Alive News, "Were we to respond to an emergency there, this sign would not stop us from lawfully doing our job."

"If they have a warrant, they can go anywhere they want, but we're not breaking the law," Chambers said.

The question now is what happens if Chambers or anyone inside the gym needs the police.

Chambers says they never have, and won't ever need the help of officers. He says he plans to put the 'No Cop' sign back up without the foul language.

Lawyers we talked with found the policy strange, but said because law enforcement officers are not a protected class under the law, only the courts can decide if EAV Barbell Club is violating any anti-discrimination laws.

No warrant required to enter a premise on the belief that a crime is being committed. A warrant is required to conduct a lawful search.
Ahh, so you watch "Law & Order" too! Great show.

I live it ... don't watch cop shows. Except 'Adam 12', best cop show ever.

Was using Sarcasm...............should very religious christian bakers be forced to bake gay wedding cakes....................What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Personally, I agree with you and wish all these stupid lawsuits would end and respect the rights of others.

Good, I wasn't sure if you were agreeing or being a smartass? lol

I live it ... don't watch cop shows. Except 'Adam 12', best cop show ever.
Dragnet was better....and the forerunner to Adam 12, albeit a good show.

Perfect place for a deranged to go ballistic. No interfering gun trained, he men to interfere and screw up his plans.
Have the gyms in Atlanta had a big behavior problem with military and police members? Raising hell are they? Threatening people? Yelling Jesus Saves and opening up on innocent tread mill users?
Find a better gym.

I would disagree. 'Dragnet' was not a realistic portrayal of the every day of a detective. A detective will spend a lot more time plowing threw records and writing reports than knocking on doors. However, that doesn't make for very riveting TV.

'Adam 12', on the other hand, was a pretty good peek into the life of a patrolman and it isn't much different today. On any given episode, Reed and Malloy would deal with a domestic, a juvenile, an angry citizen, and maybe one good felony arrest. The writers of that show were so spot-on on how police deal with the public that episodes of the show are still used today to train police officers in TACCOMS.

I've personally learned things from the show that I've used in my job.

I would disagree. 'Dragnet' was not a realistic portrayal of the every day of a detective. A detective will spend a lot more time plowing threw records and writing reports than knocking on doors. However, that doesn't make for very riveting TV.

'Adam 12', on the other hand, was a pretty good peek into the life of a patrolman and it isn't much different today. On any given episode, Reed and Malloy would deal with a domestic, a juvenile, an angry citizen, and maybe one good felony arrest. The writers of that show were so spot-on on how police deal with the public that episodes of the show are still used today to train police officers in TACCOMS.

I've personally learned things from the show that I've used in my job.
As one police officer said at the time of the show "it's realistic, but it also shows more events in one episode than most police officers experience in months".

As one police officer said at the time of the show "it's realistic, but it also shows more events in one episode than most police officers experience in months".

More exciting events, definitely. But in any give shift, I'll deal with at least 15-20 different issues. And those are just the ones that make it into my log book. Only a one of those events would make an interesting story, few of them worthy for TV.

But, it's worth noting that, at the time, the producers of 'Adam 12' paid LAPD Officers and LA Sheriffs $50 for personal stories that would be used for 'Adam 12' episodes.

This has clearly made national news, our local rinky-dink radio station (in Alaska population 250k) mentioned it this AM. It was quickly followed by a rash of viewer call-in's condemning the idea. It started a local "promotion" with clubs up here offering a free month to police and military heh

Isn't freedom and liberty grand? The free market will decide if this business practice will be rewarded or not.
Wonder if you'd say that if homos and men who think they are women were banned

You don't have to wonder, I've said businesses should be free to turn away whomever on numerous occasions.

Isn't freedom and liberty grand? The free market will decide if this business practice will be rewarded or not.

Sounds like an illegal business practice to me. If you allow this then you have to allow a baker to refuse to bake a cake. Either businesses are required to be inclusive or they're not.

Sounds like an illegal business practice to me. If you allow this then you have to allow a baker to refuse to bake a cake. Either businesses are required to be inclusive or they're not.

It isn't an illegal practice in the State of Georgia.

Wonder if you'd say that if homos and men who think they are women were banned

You don't have to wonder, I've said businesses should be free to turn away whomever on numerous occasions.
And I've seen you do that....on many threads discussing PA laws.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Forum List

Back