Guns guns & more guns - reviews & news from USMB members' sage wisdom & time tested experiences...

I'm always chatting up members at the range exchanging anecdotal experiences with the ever changing landscape of firearms. Most helpful and edifying are the instances where innovations of mechanics, ergonomics and utilitarian design are addressed in a positive way. Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The vast majority of owned firearms have been updated or improved; those that haven't are likely classics or home runs upon introduction. I'm hoping that we can jump past every 'stick' and 'hand cannon' in one's arsenal & focus on the edification aspect for existing gun owners and those that are testing the waters of potential ownership. By all means Anti - 2Aers are welcome! I do hope that we can steer this post back to its original intent as the inevitable partisanly political ideologies start surfacing...

I'll start it out.

- I'm always surprised at the somewhat ubiquitous design challenges in the micro, concealed carry (CC) pistol market. I find that double action (DA) is inherently more challenging to shoot with the long trigger pull but recognize the importance of this long trigger pull for personal defense as a safeguard against potential prosecutorial legal issues were I to use my firearm in a shooting. I recently swapped out my LC9 for the lighter, shorter trigger pull on the newer LC9S. I also found the trigger (sear) break to be much more crisp.

While the LC9S is designed as a small CC pistol, I'm really looking for a micro CC pistol in something smaller than a 9mm that has the similar improvements in trigger characteristics that I found in the 9S. Anyone shoot anything in a .38 or .32 single stack that has a polymer lower & fits nicely in women's jogging / yoga type attire?
I have always like the revolver they don't jamb, they have a hammer that if you cock it the pull is reduced, if it is a 38 or larger will can stop a man with one round. If you use six run like hell. If you shoot a man more that 16 times its call murder in Chi town. Just hope you don't have the shooting witnessed by a Progressive.
Can't argue with your logic Stubbs, however, you slip that under your spandex and report back to us, mile 10, and see if you want to swap out for a micro pistol, lol... Perhaps we should get on to more 'manly - men' type firearms. Your turn Stubbs, what are U interested in purchasing for yourself at some point in the near future?
Due to my age I don't think I will make any "buys". Edit: I have carried the SW 44 Mag on duty, SW 39 Auto, and SW Highway patrol mod. They were all good for their time. I forgot the SW mod 66 unfired presented at retirement.

I'm always chatting up members at the range exchanging anecdotal experiences with the ever changing landscape of firearms. Most helpful and edifying are the instances where innovations of mechanics, ergonomics and utilitarian design are addressed in a positive way. Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The vast majority of owned firearms have been updated or improved; those that haven't are likely classics or home runs upon introduction. I'm hoping that we can jump past every 'stick' and 'hand cannon' in one's arsenal & focus on the edification aspect for existing gun owners and those that are testing the waters of potential ownership. By all means Anti - 2Aers are welcome! I do hope that we can steer this post back to its original intent as the inevitable partisanly political ideologies start surfacing...

I'll start it out.

- I'm always surprised at the somewhat ubiquitous design challenges in the micro, concealed carry (CC) pistol market. I find that double action (DA) is inherently more challenging to shoot with the long trigger pull but recognize the importance of this long trigger pull for personal defense as a safeguard against potential prosecutorial legal issues were I to use my firearm in a shooting. I recently swapped out my LC9 for the lighter, shorter trigger pull on the newer LC9S. I also found the trigger (sear) break to be much more crisp.

While the LC9S is designed as a small CC pistol, I'm really looking for a micro CC pistol in something smaller than a 9mm that has the similar improvements in trigger characteristics that I found in the 9S. Anyone shoot anything in a .38 or .32 single stack that has a polymer lower & fits nicely in women's jogging / yoga type attire?
I have always like the revolver they don't jamb, they have a hammer that if you cock it the pull is reduced, if it is a 38 or larger will can stop a man with one round. If you use six run like hell. If you shoot a man more that 16 times its call murder in Chi town. Just hope you don't have the shooting witnessed by a Progressive.
Can't argue with your logic Stubbs, however, you slip that under your spandex and report back to us, mile 10, and see if you want to swap out for a micro pistol, lol... Perhaps we should get on to more 'manly - men' type firearms. Your turn Stubbs, what are U interested in purchasing for yourself at some point in the near future?
Due to my age I don't think I will make any "buys". Edit: I have carried the SW 44 Mag on duty, SW 39 Auto, and SW Highway patrol mod. They were all good for their time. I forgot the SW mod 66 unfired presented at retirement.
Hmmm, .44mag is that the Dirty Harry gun? I've got a .44mag Super New Black Hawk, 6.5" (I think) SA only that I force myself to shoot from time to time, not exactly my favorite when running through a box. I do carry it in the back country though. Have U ever gotten proficient with yours, cus I definitely haven't w/ mine, lol.?

Beretta Nano, can any of y'all opine on this one?
- I like the similarities that it has the the PX4's, of which I have quite a few & use for 90% of my hand gun shooting
- I like not having a slide stop for CC

- leary of the long trigger pull
- not sure about the torque of low grip & high barrel re. recoil axis of rotational force in hand

Anecdotal experiences would be appreciated... Tks

I definitely like to shoot SA's more than DA's (who doesn't) but from what I've been told by my lawyer friends they will throw all the prosecutorial BS at you (if a SA is used in the commission of a shooting) to see what sticks.

With all due respect and thinking only of your safety, that type of thinking is not only horseshit but dangerous. Who cares what the lawyers think prior to a life and death situation! You are making a choice to live or die. To die in possibly a very grotesque and painful manner. This tool you're shopping for is for killing. F&#K the ambulance chasing lawyers. You're not going to scare away your attacker by brandishing this weapon. You're not going to fire a warning shot. You're not going to shoot to wound. You are going to kill. You're going to pull the trigger until it stops going bang and goes click. It's you or him. Only one will walk away alive. Deal with the consequences later. Alive.

iu

Any tips on shooting heavy recoiling revolvers more accurately & overcoming that inevitable flinch factor? I've got a .44 mag that I'm determined to master, lol.

I'll start it out.

I carry a full sized 45ACP.

NOT a mouse gun.

Any tips on shooting heavy recoiling revolvers more accurately & overcoming that inevitable flinch factor? I've got a .44 mag that I'm determined to master, lol.
There is no use for any revolver.

These are historical relics that belong in museums.

I'll start it out.

If you live in a place where you need to carry a pistol to go jogging then you should be running on a treadmill inside instead.

I'll start it out.

If the revolver's cylinder gets out of sync, then it will not only jam it will explode in your hand(s).

I'll start it out.

Hmmm, looks big and heavy. I bet it shoots like a dream though; any experience with the that particular Sig? The Sig factory and training school is somewhat local for me, come to think of it. I have shot a few Sigs, a long time ago, at the range but really am quite unfamiliar with them & just know them to be higher end pistols & said to be worth the extra $ spent on them.

The wife has one...it's so light it feels like it's going to float away.

Pricey, but worth it.

Its a gun I bought for my wife. The NRA had a competition among women. They fired a host of guns. The sig P-238 won the day. Pluses for women are ease of slide manipulation. Its slides like butter. Her's is the sig P-238 Scorpion model.

At first glance the gun looked rather large, not having a reference for sizing, surprisingly minuscule though. Sounds like the trigger is moderately stiff with a clean sear break. A good point the guy made was being anatomically similar to the other pistols used! Guess that's the reason I have 6 Beretta PX4's which I use for targets, training drills & open carry. The thumb safety isn't the same but similar enough. I'm looking forward to handling one of these... (Nice sights!)

BTW boys, I can't be the only one here thats got interests in future acquisitions or tips on previous purchases etc. Don't be shy, lol. Perhaps even some of the USMB ladies will grace us with their presence one of these days...

A handgun needs to fit in your hand(s) perfectly before you try it out.

I'll start it out.

I carry a full sized 45ACP.

NOT a mouse gun.
appreciate your opinions, U seem to have your mind made up on what works for you, lol. I've got several .45 acp's but the only one I shoot regularly is the PX4 storm. It has the rotating barrel which essentially absorbs some of the recoil as it rotates against the spiraling of the barrel grooves. As you know .45's push back a bit but not exactly like a magnum or even the smaller .40 rounds. Mastering the magnums has been a long standing goal of mine that I hope to chip away at this winter.

P.S. U don't know that you 'need' a firearm w/ U out on a run until 'lightning strikes' and that may or may not occur in one's lifetime. It happened for me in my late teens so I guess I'm super safe now as lightning never strikes twice... I'm just not prepared to accept that though, lol.

Last edited:

I admire your determination but don't envy your wiliness to inflict pain on yourself!:102:

If you reload or have a friend that does, you might try a batch of light loads until you start printing patterns that you are happy with. Now you'll have the pistol figured out. Then you can slowly increase your loads. Only increase your loads as far as maintaining your accuracy. Over time, you'll be back up to a full load.

I'm sure there are other techniques. Good luck and happy shooting.

Last edited:

I admire your determination but don't envy your wiliness to inflict pain on yourself!:102:

If you reload or have a friend that does, you might try a batch of light loads until you start printing patterns that you are happy with. Now you'll have the pistol figured out. Then you can slowly increase your loads. Only increase your loads as far as maintaining your accuracy. Over time, you'll be back up to a full load.

I'm sure there are other techniques. Good luck an happy shooting.
That's an excellent idea 'williepete'; reduced loads. I guess I didn't think about it because I've never actually reloaded pistol brass before. I have the dies, powder, primers, brass & bullets for every firearm I possess (just because I'm that kind of gal) but never actually reloaded any.

I do reload for my bench, varmint and hunting rifles but that's about it. It'll be slow as I just have x 2 RCBS's set up for resizing / primers & the other for bullet seating. I'll have to look up some good 'recipes' for the .44, lol. TKS!

I'll start it out.

I know that Kel-Tec makes one. Kel-Tec | P-32

I have one of the LC9S pistols. I mounted a spring clip on it, to avoid the need for a holster when I carry IWB. Which is the only way I ever carry that particular firearm. Normally I carry larger, a five shot snub nosed .357 which is anything but lightweight, although there are numerous options for lighter models. I went heavier.

I don’t know anything about the quality of the Kel-Tek. I do know there are smaller single stack Glocks if you are looking for something other than the LC9S which is a fine pistol IMO.

The most famous .32 would be the all metal old school pistol made famous by James Bond. The Walther PPK. I don’t think they offer it anymore in that caliber, so you might have to go with a .380 which would still be pretty small and fairly easy to conceal. Probably not much improvement on the LC9S though.

How you carry it is often as important as what you carry though. With the revolver I mentioned, I went with a rather unusual holster. Upside Down Shoulder Holster

This allows me to carry it very concealed, and allows it to be drawn either hand. The off hand can reach up and pull it with no trouble. It does stay secure in the holster, although in the interest of honesty, sometimes the stretching of the leather makes me a little nervous, so I soak it in hot water, and let it dry and again it has shrunk to hold the pistol more securely. Easily concealed under a shirt, or jacket, and no betraying bulge when I bend or move around.

I do not like, and have never liked the appendix carry. It feels wrong, makes sitting uncomfortable even with the LC9S. I prefer it on either my hip, or kidney. I am too old to even think about an ankle holster. It would take a week to bend down and get the damned thing out.

Good luck with your search.
Just think of one shot one kill. Aim for this ability

I make light .357 loads for my wife's pistol. That damn thing is very unpleasant to shoot with a full load. I use the approximate amount of powder you'd use in a .38 +P. Got the recipe out of my Lyman reloading handbook. The results are very comfortable and controllable. Practicing, she can drive tacks with it using the light loads, shoot a full box and not be deaf or tired. The lady doesn't flinch a hair. She keeps and carries it with full factory loaded hollow points.

I would not want to piss that woman off.

I'm sure there are other techniques. Good luck an happy shooting.
That's an excellent idea 'williepete'; reduced loads. I guess I didn't think about it because I've never actually reloaded pistol brass before. I have the dies, powder, primers, brass & bullets for every firearm I possess (just because I'm that kind of gal) but never actually reloaded any.

I do reload for my bench, varmint and hunting rifles but that's about it. It'll be slow as I just have x 2 RCBS's set up for resizing / primers & the other for bullet seating. I'll have to look up some good 'recipes' for the .44, lol. TKS!
Well for 44 use a 160 gr bullet and 3 to 4 gr of imerion? I need to check that spelling. I found 4 gr of 442 works great.

I'll have to look up some good 'recipes' for the .44,

Here's another thought. As a plinking round, I used to shoot .38s out of my .357. You can do the same using .44 special out of your .44 magnum. The only problem is you foul up the cylinder since the .44 special is shorter than the magnum case. You have to scrub the cylinder out real good. It's a lot of work so I quit doing it and switched over to loading .357 light.

But if only for a box or two to see how it feels, it might be worth trying.

I looked at some reloading forum discussions on this issue and you will be looking at a recipe that will deliver around 900-1000 fps for a plinking round. A hard cast LSWC will keep the cost down.

I'll start it out.

My most recent experience side arm related is with both the Glock G45 10mm and the Sig P320 TACOPS. The big ten G45 is my side arm of choice for outdoor duty. With its over six inch barrel and in conjunction with decent optics, I can score successive high kinetic energy lethal hits center mass a 75 meters and beyond. Generally I carry two pairs of magazines, one loaded with 200 grain solid points for dealing with barriers like brush and glass, and the other with 155 grain loads for range—pushing 1500 fps out of the long barrel.

My newest obsession however, is the little Sig P320 with a fairly short barrel, tall hi-vis sights and 21 round magazine capacity. In over 35 years of shooting—about 24 of them professionally— I've never encountered a better extreme close range side arm. The P320 TACOPS is light, highly pointable, high capacity and easy to "aim with the nose" if you get my meaning. Plus, its caliber interchangeable, but its highly unlikely I'd want to get into that in the field.

Now, if I could just let go of my Steyr GB, the fiancé might let me pick something else up I've wanted for some time.

Well that's x 2 that really like their Sigs. Geaux4it's wife really seems to like her P238 & now the much bigger brother P320 gets a shout out. I'll have to stop by Sig's Academy or manufacturing plant next time I'm down that way in NH. A few years back my mom went through Sig's weekend training course & was going to buy the Sig that she was trained with but I talked her into going the Beretta sub compact PX4 route (which is still a thick bulky gun). I'm kind of wishing now that she had gotten the Sig so that I could have had some exposure with the company's product...

Forum List

Back