Guns guns & more guns - reviews & news from USMB members' sage wisdom & time tested experiences...

Sahba

VIP Member
Mar 2, 2018
VT & NH
I'm always chatting up members at the range exchanging anecdotal experiences with the ever changing landscape of firearms. Most helpful and edifying are the instances where innovations of mechanics, ergonomics and utilitarian design are addressed in a positive way. Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The vast majority of owned firearms have been updated or improved; those that haven't are likely classics or home runs upon introduction. I'm hoping that we can jump past every 'stick' and 'hand cannon' in one's arsenal & focus on the edification aspect for existing gun owners and those that are testing the waters of potential ownership. By all means Anti - 2Aers are welcome! I do hope that we can steer this post back to its original intent as the inevitable partisanly political ideologies start surfacing...

I'll start it out.

- I'm always surprised at the somewhat ubiquitous design challenges in the micro, concealed carry (CC) pistol market. I find that double action (DA) is inherently more challenging to shoot with the long trigger pull but recognize the importance of this long trigger pull for personal defense as a safeguard against potential prosecutorial legal issues were I to use my firearm in a shooting. I recently swapped out my LC9 for the lighter, shorter trigger pull on the newer LC9S. I also found the trigger (sear) break to be much more crisp.

While the LC9S is designed as a small CC pistol, I'm really looking for a micro CC pistol in something smaller than a 9mm that has the similar improvements in trigger characteristics that I found in the 9S. Anyone shoot anything in a .38 or .32 single stack that has a polymer lower & fits nicely in women's jogging / yoga type attire?

I'm always chatting up members at the range exchanging anecdotal experiences with the ever changing landscape of firearms. Most helpful and edifying are the instances where innovations of mechanics, ergonomics and utilitarian design are addressed in a positive way. Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The vast majority of owned firearms have been updated or improved; those that haven't are likely classics or home runs upon introduction. I'm hoping that we can jump past every 'stick' and 'hand cannon' in one's arsenal & focus on the edification aspect for existing gun owners and those that are testing the waters of potential ownership. By all means Anti - 2Aers are welcome! I do hope that we can steer this post back to its original intent as the inevitable partisanly political ideologies start surfacing...

I'll start it out.

- I'm always surprised at the somewhat ubiquitous design challenges in the micro, concealed carry (CC) pistol market. I find that double action (DA) is inherently more challenging to shoot with the long trigger pull but recognize the importance of this long trigger pull for personal defense as a safeguard against potential prosecutorial legal issues were I to use my firearm in a shooting. I recently swapped out my LC9 for the lighter, shorter trigger pull on the newer LC9S. I also found the trigger (sear) break to be much more crisp.

While the LC9S is designed as a small CC pistol, I'm really looking for a micro CC pistol in something smaller than a 9mm that has the similar improvements in trigger characteristics that I found in the 9S. Anyone shoot anything in a .38 or .32 single stack that has a polymer lower & fits nicely in women's jogging / yoga type attire?

I know that Kel-Tec makes one. Kel-Tec | P-32

I have one of the LC9S pistols. I mounted a spring clip on it, to avoid the need for a holster when I carry IWB. Which is the only way I ever carry that particular firearm. Normally I carry larger, a five shot snub nosed .357 which is anything but lightweight, although there are numerous options for lighter models. I went heavier.

I don’t know anything about the quality of the Kel-Tek. I do know there are smaller single stack Glocks if you are looking for something other than the LC9S which is a fine pistol IMO.

The most famous .32 would be the all metal old school pistol made famous by James Bond. The Walther PPK. I don’t think they offer it anymore in that caliber, so you might have to go with a .380 which would still be pretty small and fairly easy to conceal. Probably not much improvement on the LC9S though.

How you carry it is often as important as what you carry though. With the revolver I mentioned, I went with a rather unusual holster. Upside Down Shoulder Holster

This allows me to carry it very concealed, and allows it to be drawn either hand. The off hand can reach up and pull it with no trouble. It does stay secure in the holster, although in the interest of honesty, sometimes the stretching of the leather makes me a little nervous, so I soak it in hot water, and let it dry and again it has shrunk to hold the pistol more securely. Easily concealed under a shirt, or jacket, and no betraying bulge when I bend or move around.

I do not like, and have never liked the appendix carry. It feels wrong, makes sitting uncomfortable even with the LC9S. I prefer it on either my hip, or kidney. I am too old to even think about an ankle holster. It would take a week to bend down and get the damned thing out.

Good luck with your search.

I'll start it out.

I know that Kel-Tec makes one. Kel-Tec | P-32

I have one of the LC9S pistols. I mounted a spring clip on it, to avoid the need for a holster when I carry IWB. Which is the only way I ever carry that particular firearm. Normally I carry larger, a five shot snub nosed .357 which is anything but lightweight, although there are numerous options for lighter models. I went heavier.

I don’t know anything about the quality of the Kel-Tek. I do know there are smaller single stack Glocks if you are looking for something other than the LC9S which is a fine pistol IMO.

The most famous .32 would be the all metal old school pistol made famous by James Bond. The Walther PPK. I don’t think they offer it anymore in that caliber, so you might have to go with a .380 which would still be pretty small and fairly easy to conceal. Probably not much improvement on the LC9S though.

How you carry it is often as important as what you carry though. With the revolver I mentioned, I went with a rather unusual holster. Upside Down Shoulder Holster

This allows me to carry it very concealed, and allows it to be drawn either hand. The off hand can reach up and pull it with no trouble. It does stay secure in the holster, although in the interest of honesty, sometimes the stretching of the leather makes me a little nervous, so I soak it in hot water, and let it dry and again it has shrunk to hold the pistol more securely. Easily concealed under a shirt, or jacket, and no betraying bulge when I bend or move around.

I do not like, and have never liked the appendix carry. It feels wrong, makes sitting uncomfortable even with the LC9S. I prefer it on either my hip, or kidney. I am too old to even think about an ankle holster. It would take a week to bend down and get the damned thing out.

Good luck with your search.
Far and away, the P-32 looks the most promising out of the ones U mentioned. 6.6 oz with a 5# trigger sounds really good. I wonder what the actual trigger pull feels like and the predictability of the 'back wall' / quality of the sear break. I'll definitely have to find a shop that'll allow me to dry fire it a couple times... Tks for the good suggestions!

Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The Smith & Wesson Shield has been a market hit with millions sold. A friend of mine has owned three. He prefers the 9mm after trying the .40 and finding it a bit too snappy.

I've always been a 1911 guy but that huge chunk of steel is too much to carry. I've become very interested in the CC market and especially pocket carry over the last few years. In that light, I have two pistols for you:

When S&W came out with the Shield in .45, I got one. Single stack .45. It's a handful to shoot but pleasant as all .45s are. They push more than snap. It's my Winter/Fall heavy clothing CC and glove compartment pistol.

For warm weather light clothing, I have the Colt Mustang XSP in .380. It's single action trigger is crisp and I can print an impressive (for me) pattern with it. It fits in my pocket and is well hidden by my Desantis pocket holster.
iu

I haven't been impressed with the micro carry .380s out there that are double action only. If you're only firing a .380, you bloody well need to hit what your aiming at. Single action allows for far better accuracy.

I agree on DA micro's being about the worst thing out there to shoot in a SD scenario! Like many, I have my bases covered with open carry (OC) and bulky CC pistols that are not only more efficacious at stopping a threat but a pleasure to shoot, to boot. There are those time though (as an athletic woman) that I choose to compromise firearm efficacy with exercise comfort. I'm sure you can identify completely with being neck to toe in spandex, sweating profusely at the top of a hill climb or mile 5 on a trail run lol, kidding :)... In these situations even a small CC like the LC9 is just too heavy and bulky. It's a choice of no CC at all or a micro CC for this rather niche category that i'm searching...

I've owned a Merlin fanny pack CC holster for years. You can even lug around a full size pistol in it while you run/ride although my running and riding days are over. I'm more of a limp, creak, groan and hobble guy now.

Merlin Fanny Pack Holster

Towards this end of positive feedback, advice & tips, I'm creating this thread.

The Smith & Wesson Shield has been a market hit with millions sold. A friend of mine has owned three. He prefers the 9mm after trying the .40 and finding it a bit too snappy.

I've always been a 1911 guy but that huge chunk of steel is too much to carry. I've become very interested in the CC market and especially pocket carry over the last few years. In that light, I have two pistols for you:

When S&W came out with the Shield in .45, I got one. Single stack .45. It's a handful to shoot but pleasant as all .45s are. They push more than snap. It's my Winter/Fall heavy clothing CC and glove compartment pistol.

For warm weather light clothing, I have the Colt Mustang XSP in .380. It's single action trigger is crisp and I can print an impressive (for me) pattern with it. It fits in my pocket and is well hidden by my Desantis pocket holster.
iu

I haven't been impressed with the micro carry .380s out there that are double action only. If you're only firing a .380, you bloody well need to hit what your aiming at. Single action allows for far better accuracy.
The Colt Mustang .38 looks small at first glance but then again you're hands look like they could be the size of a kids baseball mitt... I definitely like to shoot SA's more than DA's (who doesn't) but from what I've been told by my lawyer friends they will throw all the prosecutorial BS at you (if a SA is used in the commission of a shooting) to see what sticks. Prosecutors will spin stuff like did you actually intend to pull the trigger or were U just shaking, nervous, twitching, heart rate up, caffeine in system - ad infinitum.

That's definitely the type of firearm I'd love to try as a larger CC or open carry & who doesn't love them some Colt action! It does look a little angular to slip comfortably into spandex, lol.

I'll start it out.

I'll start it out.

Hmmm, looks big and heavy. I bet it shoots like a dream though; any experience with the that particular Sig? The Sig factory and training school is somewhat local for me, come to think of it. I have shot a few Sigs, a long time ago, at the range but really am quite unfamiliar with them & just know them to be higher end pistols & said to be worth the extra $ spent on them.

I'll start it out.

Hmmm, looks big and heavy. I bet it shoots like a dream though; any experience with the that particular Sig? The Sig factory and training school is somewhat local for me, come to think of it. I have shot a few Sigs, a long time ago, at the range but really am quite unfamiliar with them & just know them to be higher end pistols & said to be worth the extra $ spent on them.

The wife has one...it's so light it feels like it's going to float away.

Pricey, but worth it.

I'll start it out.

Pricey, but worth it.

Its a gun I bought for my wife. The NRA had a competition among women. They fired a host of guns. The sig P-238 won the day. Pluses for women are ease of slide manipulation. Its slides like butter. Her's is the sig P-238 Scorpion model.

Wow, that looks really, really promising I can see myself running in relative comfort with that at the small of my back cinched in tight & not dreading every heel strike. I wonder how the trigger is that model or with NAA's in general. I can't say that I remember NAA from any of my perusings of shows or the shooting circles I'm in. That's a great tip!

I'll start it out.

Pricey, but worth it.

Its a gun I bought for my wife. The NRA had a competition among women. They fired a host of guns. The sig P-238 won the day. Pluses for women are ease of slide manipulation. Its slides like butter. Her's is the sig P-238 Scorpion model.

At first glance the gun looked rather large, not having a reference for sizing, surprisingly minuscule though. Sounds like the trigger is moderately stiff with a clean sear break. A good point the guy made was being anatomically similar to the other pistols used! Guess that's the reason I have 6 Beretta PX4's which I use for targets, training drills & open carry. The thumb safety isn't the same but similar enough. I'm looking forward to handling one of these... (Nice sights!)

BTW boys, I can't be the only one here thats got interests in future acquisitions or tips on previous purchases etc. Don't be shy, lol. Perhaps even some of the USMB ladies will grace us with their presence one of these days...

Last edited:

I'll start it out.

I have always like the revolver they don't jamb, they have a hammer that if you cock it the pull is reduced, if it is a 38 or larger will can stop a man with one round. If you use six run like hell. If you shoot a man more that 16 times its call murder in Chi town. Just hope you don't have the shooting witnessed by a Progressive.

I'll start it out.

I have always like the revolver they don't jamb, they have a hammer that if you cock it the pull is reduced, if it is a 38 or larger will can stop a man with one round. If you use six run like hell. If you shoot a man more that 16 times its call murder in Chi town. Just hope you don't have the shooting witnessed by a Progressive.
Can't argue with your logic Stubbs, however, you slip that under your spandex and report back to us, mile 10, and see if you want to swap out for a micro pistol, lol... Perhaps we should get on to more 'manly - men' type firearms. Your turn Stubbs, what are U interested in purchasing for yourself at some point in the near future?

Wow, that looks really, really promising I can see myself running in relative comfort with that at the small of my back cinched in tight & not dreading every heel strike. I wonder how the trigger is that model or with NAA's in general. I can't say that I remember NAA from any of my perusings of shows or the shooting circles I'm in. That's a great tip!
Also, check out the Bond Arms Bullpup9...the most innovative micro 9mm I've ever seen.

Gun Review: Bond Arms Bullpup 9mm | The Truth About Guns - Bond Arms

Screenshot_20181011-210652.jpg

Last edited:

I'll start it out.

I'll start it out.

Can't argue with your logic Stubbs, however, you slip that under your spandex and report back to us, mile 10, and see if you want to swap out for a micro pistol, lol... Perhaps we should get on to more 'manly - men' type firearms. Your turn Stubbs, what are U interested in purchasing for yourself at some point in the near future?[/QUOTTell you what, carry a 1911 four mags, and a M1 Rifle around Korea for a year and you will not notice a six shooter. I do have a auto for for formal occasions. Its a H&K USP I never carry more than 6 in the mag and it has a hammer. So I do trade off a little but don't think I will need it at the Club, well maybe.

Forum List

Back