Gun manufacturer devastated following massacre

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
ILION, N.Y. -- The Remington Arms factory is at the center of this small village, straddled midway between Albany and Syracuse in the Mohawk Valley, towering over nearly every corner of the small downtown.

It may also be at the center of Friday's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle was among the three powerful weapons crazed gunman Adam Lanza used in his bloody rampage.

And it was the Bushmaster -- a semi-automatic, military--style assault rifle - that Lanza fired to massacre 20 schoolchildren and six adult staffers.

Manufacture of the rifle was moved to Remington's Ilion factory in March 2011, providing a morbid link between this tight-knit town of just over 8,000 and the postcard-perfect New England community of Newtown.

Machinist Carl Bovay, 46, said if Lanza's weapon was manufactured after production moved to Ilion, there is roughly a one-in-three chance that he worked on the gun. The thought, he said, has weighed heavily on him and a handful of colleagues.

"I keep telling myself that I did not make that barrel," said Bovay, who made a point to mention that he does not personally own any firearms.

Gun manufacturer devastated following massacre - StamfordAdvocate

Man, I feel bad for those people.

To think that you might have helped manufacture the weapon that helped kill innocents is probably hard to swallow.

What someone needs to tell them is that its not any fault of theirs. Once that firearm leaves their factory, they are not responsible for who uses it and how.

ILION, N.Y. -- The Remington Arms factory is at the center of this small village, straddled midway between Albany and Syracuse in the Mohawk Valley, towering over nearly every corner of the small downtown.

It may also be at the center of Friday's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A Bushmaster .223 semi-automatic rifle was among the three powerful weapons crazed gunman Adam Lanza used in his bloody rampage.

And it was the Bushmaster -- a semi-automatic, military--style assault rifle - that Lanza fired to massacre 20 schoolchildren and six adult staffers.

Manufacture of the rifle was moved to Remington's Ilion factory in March 2011, providing a morbid link between this tight-knit town of just over 8,000 and the postcard-perfect New England community of Newtown.

Machinist Carl Bovay, 46, said if Lanza's weapon was manufactured after production moved to Ilion, there is roughly a one-in-three chance that he worked on the gun. The thought, he said, has weighed heavily on him and a handful of colleagues.

"I keep telling myself that I did not make that barrel," said Bovay, who made a point to mention that he does not personally own any firearms.

Gun manufacturer devastated following massacre - StamfordAdvocate

I don't believe the gun makers themselves are evil. Gun are part of the American transition and people who work for gun companies are honest Americans I'm sure.

It's the ignorant and vile NRA fuckers who won't let us even have a conversation about how we can be safer and protect each other.

Guess what NRA, you now get to STFU. Any Congressman who tries to stop the American people from making changes will have the names and faces of 20 children plastered on every negative ad run against them in 2014.

Backlash to school shootings call for more gun control...

After School Massacre, Mourning and Calls for Action
December 15, 2012 — Police have not yet released all the names of the victims of a mass shooting at an elementary school in the northeastern state of Connecticut, but some reports have emerged on school staff slain as they tried to protect the children. The massacre has renewed calls for stronger gun control laws in the U.S.
Hundreds of Newtown, Connecticut residents attended an evening vigil for the 20 young children and six adults killed Friday at a local elementary school. The suspected gunman, identified as 20-year-old Adam Lanza, shot and killed himself. He had earlier allegedly shot to death his mother, Nancy Lanza, at their home in Newtown. Sandy Hook Elementary School principal Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung and a school psychologist, Mary Sherlach, were among the dead. A witness said the two had rushed to the aid of children when gunfire was heard in the hallway.

First-grade teacher Victoria Soto, who reportedly tried to shield her children with her body, also died. Other teachers, including Kaitlin Roig, were able to barricade children behind locked doors. “I’m thinking I have to almost be their parent, like I have to tell them -- so I said to them, ‘I need you to know that I love you all very much, and that it’s going to be okay,’ because I thought that was the last thing they were ever going to hear," said Roig. "I thought we were all going to die.”

The massacre of young children renewed calls for gun control in the U.S., where more than 10,000 people are murdered with guns each year. Police said the school killer had three assault-style guns, all legally registered to his mother. At the White House, President Obama wiped away tears and said that “as a country, we’ve been through this too many times.” “These neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," said Obama. "And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.”

Protesters outside the White House, and several politicians, including New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, chair of a gun control advocacy group, demanded immediate action. In a statement, Mayor Bloomberg said, “We have heard all the rhetoric before. What we have not seen is leadership - not from the White House and not from Congress.” A pro-gun group, The National Rifle Association, is a major contributor to many members of Congress. Political observers say its power is the primary reason for the absence of strong gun-control laws in the U.S. The NRA contends that laws limiting guns infringe on citizens’ Constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Source

See also:

Mass Killings in US Happening More Frequently
December 14, 2012 - Mass killings in the U.S., like Friday's schoolhouse slaughter, have become a troubling and recurring fact of life in America.
In the latest carnage, authorities say a gunman killed at least 26 people, including 18 students, inside an elementary school in the northeastern state of Connecticut. In July, a troubled graduate student opened fire at a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie at a Colorado theater, killing 12 people. Less than a month later, an Army veteran killed five men and a woman at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

Like Friday's assault, the killings have often occurred in seemingly peaceful settings. A gunman in early 2011 killed six people and wounded 13 others, including a U.S. congresswoman, as she was meeting with voters on a Saturday morning outside a grocery store in Arizona. In 2009, an Army psychiatrist killed 13 soldiers and civilians on an Army base in Texas.

Two years earlier, a student at a large university, Virginia Tech, killed 32 people on the sprawling campus. In 1999, two students at a Colorado high school killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher. The Mother Jones magazine says that since 1982, there have been at least 61 mass murders in the U.S., which U.S. authorities define as an assault in which a gunman kills four or more people, typically in a single location.

After mass killings in the U.S., some lawmakers have called for much tighter gun controls. But U.S. officials have only occasionally adopted new laws, because the country's Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. Mother Jones said that in the mass murders it cataloged over the last 30 years, gunmen used 139 weapons, with more than three-quarters of them obtained legally.

MORE & Video

Well, if the government does use this as an excuse to take some firearms away, hopefully they'll allow me to keep my Remington 700... and my .357... and my pump-action 12-gauge...

Aw, who am I kidding?
I'm not a conservative, but the day my guns are taken, that might make me go full blown anarchist.

The bad karma behind the manufacture, sale, and ownership of guns is tremendous.

Well, if the government does use this as an excuse to take some firearms away, hopefully they'll allow me to keep my Remington 700... and my .357... and my pump-action 12-gauge...

Aw, who am I kidding?
I'm not a conservative, but the day my guns are taken, that might make me go full blown anarchist.

What kind of pussy man needs a gun?

Aw, who am I kidding?

James Bond.

Aw, who am I kidding?

I used to go hunting all the time, and I'm one of like 3 Asians in a redneck white community. Call me paranoid.

Aw, who am I kidding?

Probable, those pussy men who are accosted by another pussy man with a gun who wants to rob them. Look, guy, if there were some way to take guns out of the hand of those who unlawfully use them to kill, rob or rape others, guns would be unnecessary. But as long as there are a rather large number of criminals who have access to guns and use them to terrorize others, well ...

Forum List

Back