Gun control vs. Vehicle control (DUI)..........

guns-and-cars.jpg

You left out the most important difference of all. There are NO criminal background checks for cars. Even a 5 time DUI can buy a car. THINK

Title and tag for gun? that would be purchase permit.
Firearm training? Agreed
too carry cancel you have to take a test and qualify with the firearm you plan on carrying
Health requirements? The sick and weak need all the help they can get you want to disarm them?

Insurance and renewal? Why do you what to make it so the poor cannot afford to defend themselves? Why do you hate the poor so much?

Firearm training? Agreed
too carry cancel you have to take a test and qualify with the firearm you plan on carrying
Health requirements? The sick and weak need all the help they can get you want to disarm them?

Insurance and renewal? Why do you what to make it so the poor cannot afford to defend themselves? Why do you hate the poor so much?

The poor depend on cars more than they depend on guns and yet, they are still required to obtain insurance and register their vehicles

Firearm training? Agreed

The poor depend on cars more than they depend on guns and yet, they are still required to obtain insurance and register their vehicles

There are many poor who don't have a car because they can't afford them.

The Federal gov't doesnt require any of that shit with cars or guns. Fuck Nutwinger and his idiotic posts.

My room mate and I have been listening to all the gun control debates, as well as discussing what we've found on various messageboards.

I bet this is going to be a bunch of logical fallacies with a sprinkling of bullshit.

Interestingly enough, when someone starts talking about regulating guns, the rabid right wing starts going into hyperbole mode and saying that there are lots of people killed in driving accidents via DUI, so that means we should tell Ford to quit making cars.

What did I tell you?

For one thing, most of the people who make that analogy don't even mention drunk driving, the reason for that is that most accidents are caused by people who are not drunk.

Well......................they might have a point but...........................

When DUI's started to be a problem, they lowered the BAC for DUI from .10 down to .08. Well, that helped to start bringing down deaths from DUI. What is the problem then if we lower the rounds that a magazine can carry down from 30 rounds to only 10? It could save lives.

DUIs were never a problem, the problem was the hysterical assholes who demanded the government do something. The result is that police now spend more time setting up checkpoints to catch "drunk drivers" than they do investigating real crimes.

Not that I expect you to get the point.

We also increased the consequences for driving drunk. First time? Your liscence is suspended and you have to pay some hefty fines. If you shoot someone? Your liscence to carry a gun should be suspended and have some hefty fines as well.

We declared that something is a crime, and made people pay more cash if they got caught. This allowed the police to by shiny new toys to impress idiots.

What was your point again?

If you kill someone because you had a gun? Well.............lets give the jail sentences some good math to follow. Say that the average lifespan is 75. If you kill someone who is 50? You serve 25 years hard time, no parole. You stole 25 years from someone else. If you kill someone who is 75? However many bullet holes are in them, you serve 5 years per hole, as well as 1 year for every bullet you're caught with.

You didn't have one, got it.

You can see where the math would go if you killed 20 kids who were only 7-10 years old right? The person committing the crime would never be free again.

How doe that make us, as a society, better? Do you really think locking people in cages a good thing?

If you have a gun that someone ripped off of you? Depending on what the circumstances were (i.e. you didn't have them secure) you could serve a portion of the sentence of the shooter.

Can we also arrest someone who has his car stolen and shipped overseas to use as a car bomb?

And yeah...........................that might make people think twice about shooting others.

It might, if people who went into schools and killed children were rational. Since, by definition, they aren't, my guess is it would only make the idiots feel better.

I would propose that the law require each gun owned to be insured, and allow the private insurance industry to determine the annual fee for each firearm. Let the actuary's determine the risk each type of firearm presents and set the fee. Then, any tort to occur by the use of said firearm by someone who used or who lost (for whatever reason) their gun will be personally liable.

I suspect some firearms would be deemed too dangerous for an insurance company to cover (much like some homeowner polices will not cover pit bulls or Dobermans) and make the ownership of such weapons a fiscal risk. Gun ownership is all about personal responsibility, isn't it?

I also believe a state issued license to own, possess or have in one's custody or control is appropriate and said license can be suspended or revoked for cause (i.e. convictions for DUI, Domestic Violence, any felony or detention in a hospital as a danger to self or others). All to be at the discretion of the individual state, but said license not allow for the transportation to any other state without an official approval by the other state(s).

Rightwingers should love the idea of the 'free market' actuaries deciding who can and can't own a weapon and-----and they get to use their own money via insurance premiums to take responsibility for their own background and qualification checks.

No insurance -- no weapon.

Gun controllers get the regulations they want/gun owners get the guns they qualify for... win/win

You left out the most important difference of all. There are NO criminal background checks for cars. Even a 5 time DUI can buy a car. THINK

A DUI can buy a car

But he can't get anyone to insure him so that he can drive it on public roads

Wrong, states actually require insurance companies to provide insurance.

Hell yes
And let's have gun owners insure their guns

You or someone else uses your gun to kill or injure...YOU PAY

Sounds fair to me

There is in fact a check for DUI when trying to get a license.

Therefore, you can't DRIVE a car if you have a DUI.

A DUI can buy a car

Hell yes

Sounds fair to me

Most gun owners have insurance coverage as part of their homeowner's insurance. What you want it insurance to force people to pay for things other people do after stealing their property.

There is in fact a check for DUI when trying to get a license.

Therefore, you can't DRIVE a car if you have a DUI.
you can't DRIVE a car if you have a DUI
Really they will no longer get behind the steering wheel of a car?

“These staggering statistics of repeat drunk driving offenders show that law enforcement is doing its job by finding and arresting drunk drivers. Unfortunately, the criminal justice system’s ‘catch and release’ approach to drunk driving remains a huge threat to public safety,” said Laura Dean-Mooney, national president of MADD, whose husband, Mike Dean, was killed by a drunk driver just before Thanksgiving in 1991.

According to the report, while approximately 1.5 million DWI arrests are made each year, NHTSA estimates that about one-third of offenders have previous DWI arrests. In some states like California, DWI arrests involving drivers with three or more convictions are as high as 310,971. Ohio had the second-highest number with 147,000 followed by Texas with 124,662 repeat offender arrests (3 or more convictions).

MADD Report Shows High Number of Repeat Drunk Driving Offenders On Roads | CADCA

A DUI can buy a car

Hell yes

Sounds fair to me

OK. If someone steals your car and kills someone, you pay. If someone buys your car and kills someone, you pay. If someone trips in your house and injures himself while trying to rob it, you pay.
Still down with that, Nutwinger?

A DUI can buy a car

And when people can't afford it, they quit driving, right?
Wrong. They drive anyway. Same way people will own and carry guns anyway. Because gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, which aren't the ones you're trying to restrict.

A DUI can buy a car

And when people can't afford it, they quit driving, right?
Wrong. They drive anyway. Same way people will own and carry guns anyway. Because gun laws only affect law abiding citizens, which aren't the ones you're trying to restrict.

Of course they don't quit driving.

Hell yes

Sounds fair to me

OK. If someone steals your car and kills someone, you pay. If someone buys your car and kills someone, you pay. If someone trips in your house and injures himself while trying to rob it, you pay.
Still down with that, Nutwinger?

If someone steals your car and kills someone you pay? Depends.........did you lock up your car like a reasonable person, forcing them to break a window to gain entrance? If so, you don't pay.

However.......................if you leave your car with the keys in it and the engine running? If they steal it and kill someone, you pay, because you were not responsible in making sure your car was secured.

If someone buys your car and kills someone? No. You don't pay. Why? Because in the act of selling the car, you have transferred responsiblity of the vehicle in exchange for cash. The car (once you sell it) is no longer your problem or responsibility.

If someone trips in your house while trying to rob it and injures themselves? No payment. They came in uninvited and therefore are not subject to the care of the householder. If you come in uninvited and unannounced, do you really think the person whose house you're robbing is going to warn you of the step?

Castle doctrine says you don't have to warn them, it's defense of your home.

Forum List

Back