Gun control vs. Vehicle control (DUI)..........

My room mate and I have been listening to all the gun control debates, as well as discussing what we've found on various messageboards.

Interestingly enough, when someone starts talking about regulating guns, the rabid right wing starts going into hyperbole mode and saying that there are lots of people killed in driving accidents via DUI, so that means we should tell Ford to quit making cars.

Well......................they might have a point but...........................

When DUI's started to be a problem, they lowered the BAC for DUI from .10 down to .08. Well, that helped to start bringing down deaths from DUI. What is the problem then if we lower the rounds that a magazine can carry down from 30 rounds to only 10? It could save lives.

We also increased the consequences for driving drunk. First time? Your liscence is suspended and you have to pay some hefty fines. If you shoot someone? Your liscence to carry a gun should be suspended and have some hefty fines as well.

If you kill someone because you had a gun? Well.............lets give the jail sentences some good math to follow. Say that the average lifespan is 75. If you kill someone who is 50? You serve 25 years hard time, no parole. You stole 25 years from someone else. If you kill someone who is 75? However many bullet holes are in them, you serve 5 years per hole, as well as 1 year for every bullet you're caught with.

You can see where the math would go if you killed 20 kids who were only 7-10 years old right? The person committing the crime would never be free again.

If you have a gun that someone ripped off of you? Depending on what the circumstances were (i.e. you didn't have them secure) you could serve a portion of the sentence of the shooter.

And yeah...........................that might make people think twice about shooting others.

You should spend more time learning stuff and less time taking it up the ass from your roommate.
By your logic if you kill someone who is 80 then you should get 5 years off any other sentence.

What does magazine capacity have to do with BAC? They're equivalent only if you been snorting poppers, which you doubltess have.

I guess you missed the bolded part. Kill someone over 75 and the minimum sentence you could receive is 5 years if you only shot 1 bullet and had none left after you shot them.

And you missed the part where I recommended you quit taking it in the ass.

I'll settle this once and for all. First if you shoot an old guy make sure to hide the body.

Second, Liberals want to take guns period. There's no point in arguing definitions because they don't care. I could go back in time and bring Washington back with me. He could stand there and say yes we meant everyone can have any boom stick they want. And right after he left they would find some way to say he didn't really mean that.

It's not just drunk drivers who kill, it's also speeders and red light runners and all sorts of other loony drivers. They are a far bigger menace than gun owners but the liberals never object to highway violence even though it's a far bigger and far more correctable problem than gun violence.

So looks like you are rolling snake eyes on this thread.

Ah, I'll agree that I may be wrong about Scalia agreeing with me. You got me on that, I admit it.

Not that I particularly care whether he agrees with me or not, since 4 out of 9 of the Justices didn't agree with him...

Be that as it may, even he admits that there is room for interpretation, and that some regulation of guns is still acceptable in relation to the 2nd amendment.

Now, tell me this:

Since Voting is a constitutionally guaranteed right. And I'm going to assume you agree with that...

How is it that you, personally, agree that you need to register to vote (with a 30 day "waiting period"), provide personal information, and have a photo ID required to vote...

But you don't feel that the same should be required to own a deadly weapon?

No, because according to just about the whole nation, crazy people don't have a right to own a gun, and neither do felons, because of what they did.

However..................a well regulated militia would have the things that LWC brought up, don't ya think? It would help to weed out the crazies and psychos.

But..............on second thought, I can see why you'd be against it ya looney psychopath.
Your original point of your thread is a fail, do you want to go two for two?
So if someone steals your car and gets drunk and kills someone you as the owner of the car should serve a portion of the sentence also?

And Firearm ownership is a right driving on the road is a privilege

Um Scotus disagrees with you in the sense Government Can put regulations on firearms.

So the idea we can't restrict you from getting your guns is pure fantasy.

The Supreme Court has ruled the ONLY firearms that are protected by the second amendment are those that have a reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.

I think it's an excellent comparison, and I think all the requirements and responsibilities that are imposed upon drivers of cars should also be applied to gun ownership.

Therefore ownership of an automatic or semi-automatic firearm should have the following:

• mandatory insurance,
  • licenses that are periodically renewed,
  • registration with a state-wide database,
  • qualification tests and a clean record to own one
  • revocation of license if you show a grossly negligent or illegal train of behavior,
  • revocation of license if you have a handicap (physical or mental) that prevents you from responsibly operating said device.

Pretty simple and straightforward.

And everyone who fits these requirements should own a gun, as a responsible citizen.

ONE is a priledge
AND the other is A
RIGHT
You're comparing apples too watermelons.
you don't deserve to have weapons. You fucking nutjob.

I earned my right. have you?

So looks like you are rolling snake eyes on this thread.

Ah, I'll agree that I may be wrong about Scalia agreeing with me. You got me on that, I admit it.

Not that I particularly care whether he agrees with me or not, since 4 out of 9 of the Justices didn't agree with him...

Be that as it may, even he admits that there is room for interpretation, and that some regulation of guns is still acceptable in relation to the 2nd amendment.

Now, tell me this:

Since Voting is a constitutionally guaranteed right. And I'm going to assume you agree with that...

How is it that you, personally, agree that you need to register to vote (with a 30 day "waiting period"), provide personal information, and have a photo ID required to vote...

But you don't feel that the same should be required to own a deadly weapon?

Actually those things are needed foor firearms in many places in some cases, in all places in some cases.

I agree that the gov't can legally impose restrictions of one kind or another. Apparently that extends up to but not including an outright ban.

Now the question is not do they have the ability but rather is it wise to do so, and what policy aim does it achieve? We have 100 years of experience with various gun control measures on the local and national level. The evidence is overwhelming that none of it does any good. So what policy aim would more of the same achieve?

Um Scotus disagrees with you in the sense Government Can put regulations on firearms.

The Supreme Court has ruled the ONLY firearms that are protected by the second amendment are those that have a reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.

High court strikes down gun ban - CNN.com

you really are stupid.

will give the district's police department 21 days to implement a process for registering handguns. It still will be illegal to carry handguns outside the home, and all pistols must be registered with police.
Officials said a hot line would be set up to handle questions about the new regulations.

"It is important to respect the court's authority and to act quickly," Fenty said.

"The Constitution leaves the District of Columbia a variety of tools for combating that problem, including some measures regulating handguns," Scalia wrote. "But the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table. These include the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home." Watch a gun shop owner's reaction »

Like i stated, we have the right to regulate guns.

I really can't help that you are a stupid fuck.

U.S. v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939)
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.
Thus, for the keeping and bearing of a firearm to be constitutionally protected, the firearm should be a militia-type arm.

The case also made clear that the militia consisted of "all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense" and that "when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time

United States v. Miller - 307 U.S. 174 (1939) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

you havent earned anything. You are mentally unstable to own any firearms.
I hope the brown shirts come and get you soon

1. I was in the Air Force
2. I served my community as a police officer
And what have you done?

i doubt you did any of that.

I enlisted April 21 1982 completed my basic and Tech school in San Antonio and spent an extra 8 weeks at Camp Bullis for more specialized training

PCS to Spandalhem Air Base My AFSC was 81150
PCS in 1984 to offutt Air Force base SAC Headquaters
Discharged Honorably in 1986

Became a Police officer Patrolman no money for what was involved

you really are stupid.

I really can't help that you are a stupid fuck.

U.S. v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939)
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.
Thus, for the keeping and bearing of a firearm to be constitutionally protected, the firearm should be a militia-type arm.

The case also made clear that the militia consisted of "all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense" and that "when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time

United States v. Miller - 307 U.S. 174 (1939) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center
you fucking stupid huh? SCOTUS declared in 08 you have the right to your handgun, but the state has the right to regulate how you get to own it.

1939 is quite meaningless in this debate.

Unless Miller has been overturned Miller still has precedence

I enlisted April 21 1982 completed my basic and Tech school in San Antonio and spent an extra 8 weeks at Camp Bullis for more specialized training

good for you. Im sure you did.

Now would be a good tie for you to go play with your transformers boy.

you fucking stupid huh? SCOTUS declared in 08 you have the right to your handgun, but the state has the right to regulate how you get to own it.

1939 is quite meaningless in this debate.

Unless Miller has been overturned Miller still has precedence

Again SCOTUS said You can not ban handguns or basically guns in the home. You can regulate how you get them. Which is my point all along. The state can regulate how you go about buying your handgun.

There is nothing you can do about this unless SCOTUS rules otherwise.

And again the Supreme court has ruled the only weapons protected by the second amendment are those that have a reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia

Again SCOTUS said You can not ban handguns or basically guns in the home. You can regulate how you get them. Which is my point all along. The state can regulate how you go about buying your handgun.

There is nothing you can do about this unless SCOTUS rules otherwise.

And again the Supreme court has ruled the only weapons protected by the second amendment are those that have a reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia

you are not reading what i am saying are you? Your point is irrelevant to my point.

Miller vs U.S. 1938 and Lewis vs. US 1980 have precedence. And precedence is something I am sure you are clueless about.

what am i wrong about?

Dam you're not only stupid but also have a very short memory. I suggest you go back a could of replies.

again what am i wrong about?
Take you pick but all of these makes you wrong.

I think it's an excellent comparison, and I think all the requirements and responsibilities that are imposed upon drivers of cars should also be applied to gun ownership.

Therefore ownership of an automatic or semi-automatic firearm should have the following:

• mandatory insurance,
  • licenses that are periodically renewed,
  • registration with a state-wide database,
  • qualification tests and a clean record to own one
  • revocation of license if you show a grossly negligent or illegal train of behavior,
  • revocation of license if you have a handicap (physical or mental) that prevents you from responsibly operating said device.

Pretty simple and straightforward.

And everyone who fits these requirements should own a gun, as a responsible citizen.

ONE is a priledge
AND the other is A
RIGHT
You're comparing apples too watermelons.

No, because according to just about the whole nation, crazy people don't have a right to own a gun, and neither do felons, because of what they did.

However..................a well regulated militia would have the things that LWC brought up, don't ya think? It would help to weed out the crazies and psychos.

But..............on second thought, I can see why you'd be against it ya looney psychopath.
Your original point of your thread is a fail, do you want to go two for two?
So if someone steals your car and gets drunk and kills someone you as the owner of the car should serve a portion of the sentence also?

And Firearm ownership is a right driving on the road is a privilege

I earned my right. have you?

you really are stupid.

will give the district's police department 21 days to implement a process for registering handguns. It still will be illegal to carry handguns outside the home, and all pistols must be registered with police.
Officials said a hot line would be set up to handle questions about the new regulations.

"It is important to respect the court's authority and to act quickly," Fenty said.

"The Constitution leaves the District of Columbia a variety of tools for combating that problem, including some measures regulating handguns," Scalia wrote. "But the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table. These include the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home." Watch a gun shop owner's reaction »

And what have you done?

And what have you done?

Thanks for your service to our nation and to your community. God Bless.

guns-and-cars.jpg

Forum List

Back