Greg Gutfeild hit the nail on the head with our mental health/homeless problem

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Current logic is they must admit themselves to mental institutions to avoid violating their rights. The problem with that logic is they lack the mental acuity to realize they need the help an institution can offer to better their lives.

And forced instititionalism CAN HELP. As an ex felon I am living proof. Had the state not intervened I would likely be dead or worse, someone else would be.

At this point we have the ability to CLOSELY monitor these institutions if we're serious about trying to solve the problem. Obviously the bar for forced incarceration needs to be very high but to get to that discussion we first need to admit the discussion needs to be had.

Or we just let our cities devolve into literal hellscapes.

I work in the sticks, and pick up hitch hikers regularly

most are no more than victims of circumstance , made a few bad decisions, what ever.....

Yesterday i picked up this frail old timer, he had a hard time even getting into the truck, and spoke in slurred speech....

Didn't understand a single word he said, but i don't judge...

~S~

• Banned
I work in the sticks, and pick up hitch hikers regularly

most are no more than victims of circumstance , made a few bad decisions, what ever.....

Yesterday i picked up this frail old timer, he had a hard time even getting into the truck, and spoke in slurred speech....

Didn't understand a single word he said, but i don't judge...

~S~
I often give money to the real downtrodden under the bridges and in order to do that I JUDGE to make sure it isn't going into a needle

I often give money to the real downtrodden under the bridges and in order to do that I JUDGE to make sure it isn't going into a needle
I've sat a few down for a cheeseburger, just to make sure it didn't end up booted RM

Tough love is what separates sorts like me/you from the bleeding heart libs that virtue signal a $ in the mail

~S~

• Banned
I've sat a few down for a cheeseburger, just to make sure it didn't end up booted RM

Tough love is what separates sorts like me/you from the bleeding heart libs that virtue signal a $ in the mail

~S~
I offered some work a few years back to a guy with a homeless & hungry sign and as expected he turned it down. Thank God I don't have the homeless here that the big cities have. We have our corners that always have beggars but nothing like the east & west coast

I ain't jack compared to my neighbor RM , who took in 3 kids from a heroin addicted mother

Dude's a 75 yr old Viet vet , lotta stories , i get the impression he's seen enough of humanities bad side to want to go out doing some good

I keep him stocked up (i run a piggery) , so the kids get fed

and yes, the social services, cops, etc etc .....all orbit the situation

~S~

• Banned
I ain't jack compared to my neighbor RM , who took in 3 kids from a heroin addicted mother

Dude's a 75 yr old Viet vet , lotta stories , i get the impression he's seen enough of humanities bad side to want to go out doing some good

I keep him stocked up (i run a piggery) , so the kids get fed

and yes, the social services, cops, etc etc .....all orbit the situation

~S~
I dunno what that was supposed to mean but I do what my heart tells me is right. My oldest isn't mine but I raised her from infant to today and just last week she took in a 16 year old who's father was struggling with ptsd and killed himself. His most precious belongings from his father are now in my house and I am VERY proud of MY DAUGHTER

I dunno what that was supposed to mean but I do what my heart tells me is right. My oldest isn't mine but I raised her from infant to today and just last week she took in a 16 year old who's father was struggling with ptsd and killed himself. His most precious belongings from his father are now in my house and I am VERY proud of MY DAUGHTER
It means you gotta big heart for kids like my neighbor does RM

~S~

I volunteered at a homeless shelter a few years ago(OK: forty) and there were a couple types of "assist". One was the Salvos who provided immediate assistance but no long term strategy; still did a world of good and frankly they were fantastic. The second(where I assisted) had a program to get off the booze/drugs and get clean. Halfway houses and AA plus prayer. They also were fantastic. Unfortunately the former was a much larger cohort than the latter. The latter was also volunteer and required a long term commitment. Too few took that path.

Greg

I volunteered at a homeless shelter a few years ago(OK: forty) and there were a couple types of "assist". One was the Salvos who provided immediate assistance but no long term strategy; still did a world of good and frankly they were fantastic. The second(where I assisted) had a program to get off the booze/drugs and get clean. Halfway houses and AA plus prayer. They also were fantastic. Unfortunately the former was a much larger cohort than the latter. The latter was also volunteer and required a long term commitment. Too few took that path.

Greg
I did 30 yrs as a FF/EMT

but i owed (i still do)

I was just a wee lad, in shock dying in the street, when i first saw this>>

1698804996673.png

can still see their faces, still hear the 'hang in there kid'

POINT?

You folks that 'give back' are what binds society together

god bless, god speed.....

~S~

Greg
What was that like? I tried to do youth volunteer stuff after prison to guide boys from that path but outside of being allowed to do speeches at schools I was rejected everytime because of my record. Asinine imo as I was the PERFECT candidate to be a role model from experience.
Now I am thinking I might want to do some volunteer work for nursing homes but not for an outfit. I don't want to be told to take out trash or pick up trash. I want to interact with the lonely people who have no family to give them hope/smiles.

I took it as an insult/snark because it lacked a comma or two lol. My drinking didn't help my reading comprehension

I read I AIN'T JACK SHIT COMPARED TO RM...
yeah i drink and post w/out my glasses too RM, the aging thing can't s*ck enough....

no ill will intended

further... and far more pressing...

Our youth are in big trouble these days

Just look at the stats out there

any help i good help

jmho

~S~

Current logic is they must admit themselves to mental institutions to avoid violating their rights. The problem with that logic is they lack the mental acuity to realize they need the help an institution can offer to better their lives.

And forced instititionalism CAN HELP. As an ex felon I am living proof. Had the state not intervened I would likely be dead or worse, someone else would be.

At this point we have the ability to CLOSELY monitor these institutions if we're serious about trying to solve the problem. Obviously the bar for forced incarceration needs to be very high but to get to that discussion we first need to admit the discussion needs to be had.

Or we just let our cities devolve into literal hellscapes.

It would just turn into another left vs. right politick'n power play.

There hasn't been a functioning "mental institution" for decades. They need to bring them back, but with careful oversight and proper staffing so that they don't become dumping grounds for nut cases like they were back in the day.

Forum List

Back