Greg Abbott plays an outsized role in filling U.S. judicial vacancies

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WASHINGTON —

Vacancies for the federal bench typically present a chance for U.S. senators to push preferred candidates, but as President Donald Trump prepares to name two Texas nominees for a U.S. appellate court, he’s hearing from an unlikely person: Gov. Greg Abbott.

The Texas governor, a former state Supreme Court justice, is playing an outsized role, alongside U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn of Texas, in the process of filling two vacancies on the powerful and influential 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

There are also 11 federal district judge vacancies in Texas. Trump last Monday nominated 10 judges in other states as part of what is expected to be a wave of nominations nationwide.

“I’m a little bit surprised at the involvement of Abbott,” said Hector De Leon, an Austin attorney who served on the committee making judicial recommendations to Texas senators for more than 20 years until 2013. He said he never saw other Texas governors getting involved with federal judicial selections.

“But this is a president like we’ve never had. This is a confirmation process like we’ve never had,” De Leon said. “This is all political. This is not a pristine process.”
Greg Abbott plays an outsized role in filling U.S. judicial vacancies

One of the names that was listed by "other attorneys" in the link is Justice Don Willett. The Tweeting Judge. I posted about him before. That would be awesome and an obvious choice. (I still strongly dislike Abbott and don't expect the obvious awesome choice.)

Forum List

Back