Green House Gases Rising Like "a Speeding Freight Train"

JLW

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2012
The world’s greenhouse gas emissions are rising at a faster pace in 2018 than they did last year, researchers said Wednesday, the latest evidence that planet-warming pollution is proliferating again after a three-year lull in the middle of the decade. That trend is accelerating the earth’s collision course with some of the most severe consequences of climate change, scientists warned......

In an accompanying commentary in the journal Nature, scientists said the increases put the world on track with the highest emissions trajectory modeled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a United Nations scientific group. That group issued an alarming report in October that warned that, if emissions continued to rise at the current rate, the planet would warm 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, opening the door to widespread food shortages, wildfires, coastal flooding and population displacement.

But the recent rise in global emissions, together with other factors, including natural variability, could accelerate the timeline, thrusting the earth above that threshold of warming by 2030, the scientists said. They compared the emissions increases to a “speeding freight train.”......

Greenhouse Gas Emissions Rise Like a ‘Speeding Freight Train’ in 2018

I have always voted only for those that supported action in combating global warming. I realized that it was always an uphill battle as the forces of greed and short-sightedness are very powerful foes. The war to halt our fall into the environmental abyss is very close to being lost. I realize that there are millions of people who could give two shits for the environment or the world that they leave their children, some of whom are on this board.

Given that greenhouse emissions are rising, the Amazon basin is about to be raped, and that there is little hope in the near future to stop the degradation of our environment, the Denialist movement is on the ascendancy.

Congratulations. You have money in your pocket today. Tomorrow your children (and mine) will be suffering and dealing with the clusterfck you left them.

Last edited:
The world’s greenhouse gas emissions are rising at a faster pace in 2018 than they did last year, researchers said Wednesday, the latest evidence that planet-warming pollution is proliferating again after a three-year lull in the middle of the decade.

Did you ever consider looking at the ACTUAL DATA rather than relying on NYTimes to add pants shitting adjectives in to describe it?

co2_trend_mlo.png

WHERE THE FUCK is the ACCELERATION over the last 5 years? Or over the 2017 readings?

It's all hype for the upcoming climate conference. Situation has NOT changed dramatically in CO2 atmos levels and rates for a couple decades now.. Not that CO2 is the SOLE thermostat of the Earth's climate anyways..

Show me the panic bud. Then go change your underwear... :badgrin:

The world’s greenhouse gas emissions are rising at a faster pace in 2018 than they did last year, researchers said Wednesday, the latest evidence that planet-warming pollution is proliferating again after a three-year lull in the middle of the decade. That trend is accelerating the earth’s collision course with some of the most severe consequences of climate change, scientists warned......

In an accompanying commentary in the journal Nature, scientists said the increases put the world on track with the highest emissions trajectory modeled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a United Nations scientific group. That group issued an alarming report in October that warned that, if emissions continued to rise at the current rate, the planet would warm 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, opening the door to widespread food shortages, wildfires, coastal flooding and population displacement.

But the recent rise in global emissions, together with other factors, including natural variability, could accelerate the timeline, thrusting the earth above that threshold of warming by 2030, the scientists said. They compared the emissions increases to a “speeding freight train.”......

I have always voted only for those that supported action in combating global warming. I realized that it was always an uphill battle as the forces of greed and short-sightedness are very powerful foes. The war to halt our fall into the environmental abyss is very close to being lost. I realize that there are millions of people who could give two shits for the environment or the world that they leave their children, some of whom are on this board.

Given that greenhouse emissions are rising, the Amazon basin is about to be raped, and that there is little hope in the near future to stop the degradation of our environment, the Denialist movement is on the ascendancy.

Congratulations. You have money in your pocket today. Tomorrow your children (and mine) will be suffering and dealing with the clusterfck you left them.
GreenHead Gasbags

Mercenary climate "scientists" are making more money off scare stories than even Stephen King does.

s0n....you obviously tend to the hysterical :113:

No worries....we'll be fine.

GreenHead Gasbags

Mercenary climate "scientists" are making more money off scare stories than even Stephen King does.

Actually, it's the MEDIA that runs a free worldwide marketing blitz for this agenda. There are actually very few of the "elite" climate scientists that are grabbing headlines with outlandish predictions and unfounded "conclusions" anymore.

Circus is packing up the tents. REAL enviro problems coming BACK on the table. Thank Gawd !!!

My that NYTimes article was hysterical and inaccurate by omission. There's NO "speeding freight train". The data speaks for itself. And this below is a lie by omission...

The United States, one of the wealthiest nations in the world, is responsible for a third of all human-caused carbon emissions to date, more than any other country.

The US has decreased CO2 emissions recently back to MID 90s levels. NOT IN NYTimes article. Also not in article --- this was done by PRIVATE VENTURE to become the worlds producer of Nat Gas -- a cleaner alternative to coal. All this was accomplished IN SPITE of all roadside bombs that Obama put on Nat Gas development and new pipelines.

We have accomplished MORE OUTSIDE of the Paris accord than most nations that are IN IT. Our free markets figured it out, did the ROInvestment calculations and ignored the barriers the govt set in it;s path.

clock_22.gif

Personally, I do not know why you Repubs are getting so irate with this thread, you all think greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere is a good thing and protecting the environment is a joke, well you're getting your wishes. Celebrate the filth you so desperately want.

Personally, I do not know why you Repubs are getting so irate with this thread, you all think greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere is a good thing and protecting the environment is a joke, well you're getting your wishes. Celebrate the filth you so desperately want.
You're the only one getting hysterical over your religion. You're not being rational.

What is wrong with you?

Did you read the story..they are saying people are driving farther Than ever..what does that even mean?

Scientists described the quickening rate of carbon dioxide emissions in stark terms, comparing it to a “speeding freight train” and laying part of the blame on an unexpected surge in the appetite for oil as people around the world not only buy more cars but also drive them farther than in the past — more than offsetting any gains from the spread of electric vehicles.

Last edited:
A trillion plants thank the USA for not cutting off their "oxygen" supply. They ask so little of the animal world.

The primary reason is disgust over the state of the educational system which is spitting out people like you one after another. People with no critical thinking skills whatsoever...people who think science like climate science is out of the reach of people who don't have a degree that says climate science on it...people who aren't even aware that climate science is a soft science...as opposed to the hard sciences like physics, chemistry, meteorology. Climate science is to hard science as chiropractic is to the practice of medicine. People like you who don't possess an informed opinion of their own, but are happy to propagate the opinion given to you by someone with a political agenda.

China and India are the leading culprits. Will you go there and make them change their ways?

How do "climate scientists" measure Man's effect on climate when it has changed drastically all by itself before Man, and Man's Industrialization? Also, it continues to change that's why the Left changed the name from Man Made Global Warming to "Climate Change". So any warming, or cooling is now solely Man's fault when even NASA tells us we are experiencing, and going to experience cooling due to the Sun, and other natural occurrences.

Forum List

Back