Green Day - American Idiot

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this album on here (maybe there has in the political section?). Honestly, ten years ago, if you would've told me I would be sitting here today talking about the new Green Day album... the new Green Day album that's a friggin' OPERA!, I would've said you were crazy.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a fan. I have all of their albums, and I love their work. I think they get successively better with each album (with the exception of Insomniac), and this one holds true to that.

I'm sure you guys have probably heard the single "American Idiot", and yeah, it has very political overtones to it. Whether it's anti-American or unpatriotic is up to the listener, I guess. However, I think that song is not a good representation of the rest of the album. Like I said, it's a concept album that's more about the denegration of the moral fabric of America than booting Bush out of office.

The story's main character is named Jesus of Suburbia. He's supposed to be a sort of modern messiah, and the album follows him as he sees the hatred and destruction tearing the country apart right now. His only true friend is a drug dealer named St. Jimmy, who drags him down into the pits of the hatred with the rest of them. In the end, Jimmy kills himself with no explanation, leaving no real resolution and no sense of hope for Jesus of Suburbia.

Music-wise, Green Day really branch out. They manage to have a 9-minute punk song that never gets old. Some songs fall flat, but most are entertaining, and some ("Wake Me Up When September Ends", in particular) are among their greatest work.

I guess all I'm saying is give them a chance, don't judge the whole album by that one song. Or do. It doesn't really matter. I guess if you're going to like this CD, you would already have it by now.

Very interesting. In this age of downloading songs everywhere on the Internet, I think that putting a whole album together as a story - something greater than the sum of its parts - is where the music industry will have to go if they want CD sales to remain high.

I'm still not buying anything from the Commie leftist bastards... :D

Yeah, I love a good concept album.

Speaking of the whole music piracy thing, I read that the music industry made an official statement that they lost more money on cell phone ringtones than any other source of piracy last year.

Nothing personal, since your a fan and all, but I've always thought Green Day were a bunch of pussy fuckfaces. That song just shows that even more to me, why I hate them. Little commie fags from Berkeley. Who the fuck cares what they think about politics? If I ever saw that faggy singer in person I'd tell him to his face what I think. I'd tell him that all americans are not little commies like him.

Captain_Steel said:
Nothing personal, since your a fan and all, but I've always thought Green Day were a bunch of pussy fuckfaces. That song just shows that even more to me, why I hate them. Little commie fags from Berkeley. Who the fuck cares what they think about politics? If I ever saw that faggy singer in person I'd tell him to his face what I think. I'd tell him that all americans are not little commies like him.

I have to say I agree with Captain on this one.. I think Green Day has lost a lot of fans over this album.. One fan being me ! :salute:

That's fair enough, but like I said, you guys should give the whole album a chance, not just the single. On a whole, the album's more about missing a time of innocence that we'll probably never get back.

Either way, you should download "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Whatsername", they're the 2 best songs on the CD, and neither one has any political references whatsoever (honestly, there's... 2, maybe 3 songs on the album that actually do).

Dan said:
That's fair enough, but like I said, you guys should give the whole album a chance, not just the single. On a whole, the album's more about missing a time of innocence that we'll probably never get back.

Either way, you should download "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Whatsername", they're the 2 best songs on the CD, and neither one has any political references whatsoever (honestly, there's... 2, maybe 3 songs on the album that actually do).

Fair enough... I won't BUY the cd though... :banned:

Forum List

Back