Greatest Athlete Ever

Rings don’t show individual dominance, they show team dominance

There was never a more dominant player than Wilt Chamberlain, but Bill Russell had more rings

It does not show a lack of skill or effort by Wilt, just that Russell had a better supporting cast
Agreed and I have to say if I was to pick a best athlete from one of the team sports Americans focus in on to the exclusion of everything else it would probably be Wilt Chamberlain.
An amazing combination of size, strength and agility.

Some of the unbelievable physical freaks in team sports that I can think of off the top on my head: Lawrence Taylor, Bo Jackson, junior Seau Deon Sanders, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Zion Williamson (yes I know he’s only 19 and hasn’t accomplished much, but I’m just looking at him in terms of raw athleticism). No specific order

Michael Jordan struggled at the beginning of his career
Not in scoring but in winning championships

BIrd and Magic were the dominant players on dominant teams
Wasn’t till Pippin and the rest of the key pieces arrived that Jordan became the GOAT

I dont care how big you are. You cant dominate if you have no guts. If being big was prerequisite for dominating then why didnt Tractor Traylor dominate?
Because Traylor was below average, and I kean below the average kid playing down at the park that never made it anywhere....and the fact you even know his name is cuz he was the size of a tractor
Below average? The average person doesnt make it to the NBA. He was definitely above average.
In size. He could shoot it over the backboard better than any kid Ive ever played with.
He was above average in basketball skill or he would have never been drafted. There are a ton of big guys that have never had a sniff at the NBA level due to lack of skills.
Shaq literally cleared the center with his shoulders and dunked almost every play at LSU...shot from 5 feet out like he was partially retarded, and didnt develop any actual skills until Akeem mentored him in the off season.

If shaq was 6 foot 4 instead of 7 feet, he would have not made Division 3 in college
LSU isnt the NBA. You cant go to the NBA just beause youre big. If Jordan was 6 ft instead of being 6'6" he wouldn't have played college ball.

Rings don’t show individual dominance, they show team dominance

There was never a more dominant player than Wilt Chamberlain, but Bill Russell had more rings

It does not show a lack of skill or effort by Wilt, just that Russell had a better supporting cast
Agreed and I have to say if I was to pick a best athlete from one of the team sports Americans focus in on to the exclusion of everything else it would probably be Wilt Chamberlain.
An amazing combination of size, strength and agility.

Arnold Schwarzenegger said Wilt was up there with the strongest men he’s ever seen.

Because Traylor was below average, and I kean below the average kid playing down at the park that never made it anywhere....and the fact you even know his name is cuz he was the size of a tractor
Below average? The average person doesnt make it to the NBA. He was definitely above average.
In size. He could shoot it over the backboard better than any kid Ive ever played with.
He was above average in basketball skill or he would have never been drafted. There are a ton of big guys that have never had a sniff at the NBA level due to lack of skills.
Shaq literally cleared the center with his shoulders and dunked almost every play at LSU...shot from 5 feet out like he was partially retarded, and didnt develop any actual skills until Akeem mentored him in the off season.

If shaq was 6 foot 4 instead of 7 feet, he would have not made Division 3 in college
LSU isnt the NBA. You cant go to the NBA just beause youre big. If Jordan was 6 ft instead of being 6'6" he wouldn't have played college ball.

Ludicrous statement. Jordan would have been a hall of fame player at 6 feet.

It woulda been awesome to see Lebron play in the tougher era...where PGs were still PGs and not 6 foot 9 each, where there were truly ferocious and talented big men in the middle...like Akeem, like Ewing, David Robinson, Alonzo..

and there were more than 2 types of player...3point bombers or big forwards...but instead the game had a lot more built shouldered men like Malone, Pippen, all the bruisers from the Knicks....ahh the golden era

Shaq literally went just because he was big.

So did Bol and a whole host of other giants.

Wasn’t till Pippin and the rest of the key pieces arrived that Jordan became the GOAT
I think this is the root of this fallacy about Lebron. Lebron doesnt have a score first mentality. He has a get the best bucket mentality. Jordan was not a complete player when he first came into the league, He was a shot maker. Lebron was more of a facilitator that could be a scorer. People are judging Lebron because he doesnt play the game like MJ which is silly. You need a team to win. Never saw MJ step on the court by himself and win anything.

Shaq had good footwork, but I agree, the key to him being a dominant player was his combination of size, speed, and strength

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Shaq had good footwork, but I agree, the key to him being a dominant player was his combination of size, speed, and strength
He didnt get his nice footwork until Akeem mentored him. Thats from Shaqs mouth, too

I think this is the root of this fallacy about Lebron. Lebron doesnt have a score first mentality. He has a get the best bucket mentality. Jordan was not a complete player when he first came into the league, He was a shot maker. Lebron was more of a facilitator that could be a scorer. People are judging Lebron because he doesnt play the game like MJ which is silly. You need a team to win. Never saw MJ step on the court by himself and win anything.

You never saw MJ leave to form a super team either

Thats silly. Shaq was a skilled big man. Thats why he went to the NBA,

Bol also had skills. It wasnt just his height. Most people that tall or big are uncoordinated lumps of flesh.

He did leave to play baseball though

He didnt have to leave. They formed a super team around him. Cavs on the other hand refused to get Lebron some help.

He didnt get his nice footwork until Akeem mentored him. Thats from Shaqs mouth, too
They never played on the same team
When did Akeem mentor him?

That's more heart factor as well.

They say a lot of these team this and that....but to pretend guys dont single handedly take over games....in the #1 team sport where guys ACTUALLY single handedly take over games?? Is bananas, and Jordan always and gladly put it on his shoulders deep in the playoffs and deep in the 4th...Lebron came up short too many times....and with THOSE abilities and size...I give him no excuse...let alone his hand in designing his teams and support.

Thats silly. Shaq was a skilled big man. Thats why he went to the NBA,

Bol also had skills. It wasnt just his height. Most people that tall or big are uncoordinated lumps of flesh.

Bol didn’t have any skills lol. That was an era where their were a lot of stiffs. Bol was one of them. Now his son is very skilled, but there are injury concerns with him.

They never played on the same team
When did Akeem mentor him?
In the off season and the Olympics. Shaq talks about it all the time.

Foot work isnt the only skill Shaq had. He could pass and surprisingly he could dribble.

Forum List

Back