Great Sports Rivalries

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
PNW
In the history of sports, Brady vs Manning seem to be one of the best. Many argue bigger rivalries are out there. I can think go Russell vs. Chamberlin, Bird vs. Magic is Brady vs. Manning the greatest?

Any others that rank up there?

There was some talk late last season that the 49ers and Seattle were a rivalry that should develope into a great one. I was looking forward to that. Teams sometimes need that extra "reason" to step up and play at a championship level. It makes the games more intersting for us fans and for media attention which brings in money from advertising for the team owners.

Unfortunately San Francisco has been beat like a red headed stepchild the last two times they played Seattle. For a rivalry to exist there has to be some give and take. One team cannot totally dominate the games or the lesser team cannot be considered a true rival. Just because Seattle and SF are playing for the same prizes.. Division...conference.. does not make the games special.. I don't see the Rams or the Cardinals as "rivals" to the Seahawks.

A win by SF on Dec 8 would be a step in the right direction to help build the Sea/SF "rivalry" but I don't se it happening this year.

The NFL have rival, Dallas vs Washington, Green Bay vs Chicago, Oakland Pitssburgh, great games, classic games.

These were once hot rivalries but have quieted down in recent years.
Dolphins - Jets
Canes - Noles

Forum List

Back