Gravity?

It's basic algebra and understanding of how changes on one side of a formula (right side) impact the results (left side)
It sure is. Very simple, in fact:

F=m*a F= force, m=mass, a=acceleration

'a' is a constant, in this case: 9.8 m/s^2

So, what happens to 'F', if 'm' is doubled?

'F' is doubled.

Last edited:

Actually the answer "no" is incorrect.

Mass is a component of the Terminal Velocity formula and changes in mass change the terminal velocity or in other words the speed at which an object falls through Earth's atmosphere assuming standard gravitational pull.

Other factors include air density, drag coefficient, and area.
.WW
Okay. If I drop two identically shaped but different weight objects off the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, the air density will be the same and the area is the same. The only difference would be drag, but if the items are identically shaped, there shouldn't be any difference in drag either.
But the force of gravity will be greater on the object that weighs the most. So more force to overcome the drag means that object falls faster.
The force of gravity is the same for both. The difference is the drag.
What is "drag," Crepitus? From some of the answers I've gotten, it sounds like it isn't just shape but "mass," which isn't weight. Does a solid object shaped identically to a hollow object fall at exactly the same rate? It sounds as if drag happens INSIDE the object, not just on its outer surface. Is that right?

It's a drag to get hit on the top of the head by a wrist watch, that some jerk tossed off the top of the empire state building. The gum isn't so much of a drag but will stick to the bottom of your shoe.

The force of gravity remains constant
False. The acceleration due to gravity remains constant. The force on a more massive object is obviously greater than on a less massive object, as would be required to accelerate these two objects at the same rate.

If you mean force as in a measure of kinetic energy. Ya I can buy that.

Be even you point out that acceleration due to gravity remains constant.

In a vacuum a pound of feathers and a ton of steel accelerate at the same rate because for force of gravity is a constant.

Again, examine the formula in post #7. Velocity changes but "g" remains constant.
.WW

It's basic algebra and understanding of how changes on one side of a formula (right side) impact the results (left side)
It sure is. Very simple, in fact:

F=m*a F= force, m=mass, a=acceleration

'a' is a constant, in this case: 9.8 m/s^2

So, what happens to 'F', if 'm' is doubled?

'F' is doubled.

Just saw this, yes but from your formal "a" acceleration is the same as "g" in post #7.

f you mean force as in a measure of kinetic energy. Ya I can buy that.
Nope, I mean the force of gravity on an object.

The fact that this depends on the mass of the object is the singular watershed discovery of Isaac Newton, regarding gravity.

Actually, anything you dropped from the very top
would more than likely land somewhere on the observation deck below,
depending on the wind.
399px-Empire_State_Building_%28aerial_view%29.jpg
Guy turns around and goes
"Alright who's the wise guy that just
hit me in the head with the gum ?"

False. The acceleration due to gravity remains constant. The force on a more massive object is obviously greater than on a less massive object, as would be required to accelerate these two objects at the same rate.
The force on a more massive object is obviously greater than on a less massive object,
Why?

The force on a more massive object is obviously greater than on a less massive object,
Why?
Well, first and foremost, to satisfy the definition of force: F=m*a, as 'a' has been shown to be a constant, in the case of a set amount of gravity.

That is what Newton's experiments and mathematics taught us: the acceleration due to Earth's gravity is the same for any two objects, in a vacuum. The feather and the bowling ball fall at the same rate of acceleration

Also, you can understand this intuitively. If you apply the same amount of force to a 1 kg object as to a 1000 kg object, which will accelerate at a higher rate? The less massive object.

So, in order to accelerate these two objects at the same rate, you must apply 1000 times more force to the 1000 kg object.

Actually the answer "no" is incorrect.

Mass is a component of the Terminal Velocity formula and changes in mass change the terminal velocity or in other words the speed at which an object falls through Earth's atmosphere assuming standard gravitational pull.

Other factors include air density, drag coefficient, and area.
.WW
Okay. If I drop two identically shaped but different weight objects off the top of the Empire State Building at exactly the same time, the air density will be the same and the area is the same. The only difference would be drag, but if the items are identically shaped, there shouldn't be any difference in drag either.
But the force of gravity will be greater on the object that weighs the most. So more force to overcome the drag means that object falls faster.
What is "drag," Crepitus? From some of the answers I've gotten, it sounds like it isn't just shape but "mass," which isn't weight. Does a solid object shaped identically to a hollow object fall at exactly the same rate? It sounds as if drag happens INSIDE the object, not just on its outer surface. Is that right?

It's a drag to get hit on the top of the head by a wrist watch, that some jerk tossed off the top of the empire state building. The gum isn't so much of a drag but will stick to the bottom of your shoe.
I'm finding it highly interesting that the posters here are all imagining the gum as already chewed, sometimes even blown into big bubbles, when what I was picturing was one piece of this:
shopping

I'm not sure what that says about us all, but then, I failed the Rorschact, too.

Why?
Potential energy or Kinetic energy via the objects mass........

Get hit by a ping pong ball at that speed not gonna hurt like a lead ball the same size........At that height it will kill you...........

Working Construction small tools dropped can give you a bad day...........Why they have Stop the Drop campaigns.............Even a Tape Measure can do damage dropped 60 feet........

I'm finding it highly interesting that the posters here are all imagining the gum as already chewed, sometimes even blown into big bubbles, when what I was picturing was one piece of this:
shopping

I'm not sure what that says about us all, but then, I failed the Rorschact, too.
Doesn't matter........it's mass and density make it easier to be blown around more than a lead weight........Gravity is only constant with the same object and EXACT SAME CONDITIONS IN THE LAB........

Why?

Get hit by a ping pong ball at that speed not gonna hurt like a lead ball the same size........At that height it will kill you...........

Working Construction small tools dropped can give you a bad day...........Why they have Stop the Drop campaigns.............Even a Tape Measure can do damage dropped 60 feet........
I heard a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State Building could kill someone. You think that's true?

shopping

Just pointing out that the shape of the bubble gum, which you did not initially specify, would affect how it falls. Chewed gum blown into a bubble is simply an example to show that.

Why?

I heard a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State Building could kill someone. You think that's true?
Yes...........if it hits in the right place absolutely........

I've been hit by small bolts from 60 feet.............it leaves a mark.........

Nearly impossible. The terminal velocity of a penny is too low. I can literally throw a penny faster than a penny's terminal velocity.

Do you think you could kill someone by throwing a penny at them? Probably not.

Why?

Unlikely, the terminal velocity is too low.

Can a penny dropped off a building kill you?

So the reason I asked the question was that I vaguely remembered hearing, way back when I was in high school, that if you dropped a bowling ball and a penny from the top of the Empire State Building they would both land at the same time. We had all predicted, of course, that the bowling ball would land first.

So it sounds like that teacher was wrong. Or the kid that repeated it from the teacher, because they never let me take physics. Not good enough at math.

Forum List

Back