Understanding the concept of infinity.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
It's my guess that most people cannot comprehend the idea of an infinite expanding universe, or that there can be no end to time or space. It occurs to me, part of the reason could be that when you do a Google search for 'infinity' the very first website to come up is Infiniti cars.

Any thoughts on this, or is it too heavy to grab onto ?

Infinity - Wikipedia

I'm not really seeing the connection between the thread title, your comment or the second video ...

I certainly don't understand the concept of an "infinite expanding universe" ... the universe as we know it in finite ... we can theoretically look back in time to when time = 0, the instant of the Big Bang ... we'd appear to be inside a giant sphere of some distance in diameter ... the video talks about how fast this sphere is expanding, but in this instant, it is of finite volume ...

There's a lot more to this, of course, and this is intended to explain why the universe isn't currently infinite ...

The video is an excellent update on the current state of affairs in cosmology ... gravity waves were touched upon and I just want to expand on that by mentioning the LIGO experiment ... something of an amazing success, works great and it's expected to open up many many new avenues of exploration of the early universe ... that's why the astrophysics community is acting all excited of late ...

The concept of infinity is something of a philosophical idea ... it shows up here and there and we've developed some nice mathemagical trickery to get around it ... neat stuff if you don't mind a lot of algebra ... but, in general, it's something to be avoided ... "dividing by zero is not defined" ... ha ha ha ... easy peasy ...

I'm not really seeing the connection between the thread title, your comment or the second video ...

I certainly don't understand the concept of an "infinite expanding universe" ... the universe as we know it in finite ... we can theoretically look back in time to when time = 0, the instant of the Big Bang ... we'd appear to be inside a giant sphere of some distance in diameter ... the video talks about how fast this sphere is expanding, but in this instant, it is of finite volume ...

There's a lot more to this, of course, and this is intended to explain why the universe isn't currently infinite ...

The video is an excellent update on the current state of affairs in cosmology ... gravity waves were touched upon and I just want to expand on that by mentioning the LIGO experiment ... something of an amazing success, works great and it's expected to open up many many new avenues of exploration of the early universe ... that's why the astrophysics community is acting all excited of late ...

The concept of infinity is something of a philosophical idea ... it shows up here and there and we've developed some nice mathemagical trickery to get around it ... neat stuff if you don't mind a lot of algebra ... but, in general, it's something to be avoided ... "dividing by zero is not defined" ... ha ha ha ... easy peasy ...
The thought occurred to me when I saw the title of this video;

I haven't watched it mainly because it seems to be
a very short-sighted assumption. How can time end ? It's impossible.

"Imagine you're in a grocery story. There are 20 people in line ahead of you. Everyone has two carts. None of the items are labeled. Everyone is paying by two-party, out-of-state check. It's the check out girl's first day and she doesn't speak English."

-- Emo Philips.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

It's my guess that most people cannot comprehend the idea of an infinite expanding universe, or that there can be no end to time or space.
But, to be clear, these are not the same concept. Something can be finite, yet boundless. That may be true of our universe, in fact.

It's my guess that most people cannot comprehend the idea of an infinite expanding universe, or that there can be no end to time or space.
But, to be clear, these are not the same concept. Something can be finite, yet boundless. That may be true of our universe, in fact.
If every last star eventually goes dark trillions of light years from now,
it still won't be the end of time or space, only light.

Yup. But that doesn't necessarily mean, "infinite time". It just means we observers living in this universe will never reach a "boundary", i.e., and end.

But, eventually, you run into tasty apparent "paradoxes", akin to "if a tree falls and nobody hears it...", as we eventually would not be able to receive or send any information. We would be incapable of observation, as an electrical signal from one of our neurons would never reach another neuron. There would be no "potentials", anywhere.

If the universe (read: spacetime) is indeed boundless, the same principle would apply for one of us traveling backward in time: No "beginning".

Last edited:
Yup. But that doesn't necessarily mean, "infinite time". It just means we observers living in this universe will never reach a "boundary", i.e., and end.

But, eventually, you run into tasty apparent "paradoxes", akin to "if a tree falls and nobody hears it...", as we eventually would not be able to receive or send any information. We would be incapable of observation, as an electrical signal from one of our neurons would never reach another neuron. There would be no "potentials", anywhere.

If the universe (read: spacetime) is indeed boundless, the same principle would apply for one of us traveling backward in time: No "beginning".
See we can only define time within our own limited interpretation of it based on our short lifetimes and relatively
short existence as a living planet. So by infinity, I'm not talking about 'time' as we define it but the perpetual existence of time, space and matter, in all their forms.

Never mind when it began or how far it will expand.
I'm just saying there can be no 'end'. No defining stopping point. No edge where everything ceases to exist because that would be impossible. We've seen it even though we'll never fully understand it......it just is.

Last edited:
No witnesses, no time.
These are human concepts that are aimed at expressing how we perceive existence. We seem unable (or unwilling) to accept that these expressions may be nothing more than illusion. What is certain, however, is that without humans the universe would be without meaning.

No witnesses, no time.
These are human concepts that are aimed at expressing how we perceive existence. We seem unable (or unwilling) to accept that these expressions may be nothing more than illusion. What is certain, however, is that without humans the universe would be without meaning.
I just explained that in post # 10, Huckleberry.

What if our universe is just one of countless universes each expanding or contracting in it's own little piece of infinite space?

What if every post on USMB creates its own alternate Universe?
Hillary would be president and we'd be living in the alternate Biff Henderson reality
from Back to the Future 2.

Forum List

Back